Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Info 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
An undrafted free agent to look at Brett Leason at eliteprospects.com.

Leason has been passed over in two drafts but appears to be having a coming out party with 17 goals and 22 assists in 17 games. He's the early WHL scoring leader and already an astounding 18 points ahead of his closest teammate.

He has a huge frame (6'4 205) and appears to have a pretty good motor, no doubt he's drawing some interest.

Bobby Mac says he's still draft eligible (2:50)...

https://www.tsn.ca/video/insider-trading-trade-talks-heating-up-around-pens-kings~1535465

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Morand and Groulx are both about to play for Team QMJHL against Russia. PM me if you care for a link to a stream

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
I'll post my final thoughts from both the QMJHL/Russia games later but Groulx has been by far the most noticeable forward for team Canada. He's dominant in faceoffs, used both in the PP (net front presence) and PK, and has great positioning both offensively and defensively.

Morand has scored the lone goal in the game.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Also pronman listed Eriksson-Ek and Groulx as two of the standouts of the last prospect tourney thingy. Said Groulx especially has him reevaluating his ceiling.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Groulx has steadily climbed my excitement ladder this season. The reports out of training camp were that he`s meh. Looks like he`s trully not

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Groulx has steadily climbed my excitement ladder this season. The reports out of training camp were that he`s meh. Looks like he`s trully not
I liked him at camp....but the problem with him was he lacked offensive upside.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Isn’t Groulx another comtois (a guy who was projected to be a top of the 1st round draft pick, but disappointed in their draft year and fell?).

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
In the HFHalifax thread, a couple of conflicting opinions were posted about Groulx:

His development curve is very modest if you ask me. Off to a good start with 13 pts in 12 games but more of a result of playing on a stacked forward group. I expected more from this former 1st OA pick.

This kid is a defensive stud. Fantastic faceoff man. Checks opposition off pucks with ease. Strong skater. Always responsible. Has to be a coaches dream. Has some offence to his game. Decent hands and good hard accurate shot. He's an all situations player. Right now 1st powerplay and 1st penalty kill. Not really flashy so you have to watch to really admire how easy the game is for him. Think he'll have a good NHL career. He's also cleaned up his game and isn't taking many retaliation penalties.

Reactions: Masch78

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In the HFHalifax thread, a couple of conflicting opinions were posted about Groulx:

He is a hard worker but lacks top end skill. I think his ceiling at the NHL level is 3rd line center. His skating is average in the Q so imagine how it looks when he turns Pro? He has many years of development if you ask me. I hope he proves me wrong but these types of prospects are a dime a dozen.

Hope vs Reality. At it stands today, he is a fringe grade B prospect that needs to work on becoming a better skater. Work ethic is not a problem so who knows how much better he can get. His shot is decent and I have seen him get better with this but he don't pick corners too often. His vision is lacking cause he is a head down type person. Very rarely do you see Groulx setting people up and remember, he is a center

Skating: Average in the Q
Shot: Decent. 42 goals in his last 90 Q games
Vision as a Center: Below average. 41 assists in his last 90 Q games
Best skill: He is hard working

But buyer be careful. Mooseheads are a deep team and Groulx is not doing things on his own. He is getting a lot of help from his wingers.

Last edited:
Reactions: bags07 and Opak

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He is a hard worker but lacks top end skill. I think his ceiling at the NHL level is 3rd line center. His skating is average in the Q so imagine how it looks when he turns Pro? He has many years of development if you ask me. I hope he proves me wrong but these types of prospects are a dime a dozen.

Hope vs Reality. At it stands today, he is a fringe grade B prospect that needs to work on becoming a better skater. Work ethic is not a problem so who knows how much better he can get. His shot is decent and I have seen him get better with this but he don't pick corners too often. His vision is lacking cause he is a head down type person. Very rarely do you see Groulx setting people up and remember, he is a center

Skating: Average in the Q
Shot: Decent. 42 goals in his last 90 Q games
Vision as a Center: Below average. 41 assists in his last 90 Q games
Best skill: He is hard working

But buyer be careful. Mooseheads are a deep team and Groulx is not doing things on his own. He is getting a lot of help from his wingers.
Kind of the impression I got from him when I saw him at prospect camp. Although it’s very early

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kind of the impression I got from him when I saw him at prospect camp. Although it’s very early

It is early. I'm a die hard Mooseheads fan and we ended up having the 1st and 2nd OA picks in the Q draft a few years ago (2016). We took Groulx and MccIsaac. At that time, I considered them potential top 10 picks in the 2018 NHL draft. They are decent players but they have disappointed based on where they were picked in the Q draft.

Go look at Groulx assist production for a center. It's not very good. His vision is not good for a center but he does work hard. I think he ends up a LW in the end but can take key faceoffs.

He is 4 or 5 years away (1 more Q after this year and 2 or 3 AHL years) before you realize his potential. Think Charles Hudon type prospect with less vision but works harder. If he is able to add muscle to give him an edge, he may turn into a solid winger with some goal scoring ability (20 goals ish) if he has a good center.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
It is early. I'm a die hard Mooseheads fan and we ended up having the 1st and 2nd OA picks in the Q draft a few years ago (2016). We took Groulx and MccIsaac. At that time, I considered them potential top 10 picks in the 2018 NHL draft. They are decent players but they have disappointed based on where they were picked in the Q draft.

Go look at Groulx assist production for a center. It's not very good. His vision is not good for a center but he does work hard. I think he ends up a LW in the end but can take key faceoffs.

He is 4 or 5 years away (1 more Q after this year and 2 or 3 AHL years) before you realize his potential. Think Charles Hudon type prospect with less vision but works harder. If he is able to add muscle to give him an edge, he may turn into a solid winger with some goal scoring ability (20 goals ish) if he has a good center.

Any words on Morand? Thx!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Any words on Morand? Thx!

Our best skater and center if you ask me. He lacks size and strength but his overall game is good. How this translate into the NHL is anybodies guess. His goal scoring ability is limited but his vision is good. Were talking about a player who stands out cause he is able to create separation with his skating. The issue here is once you turn pro, you need to be elite level at skating in order to create time and space. Does he have this ability, I'm not sure.

5'-11" and 185 lbs. Marchard is 5'-9" and 181 lbs. I think Morand could survive if he keeps working at his skating where he is considered one of the faster players and adds a few muscle brining him up to around 195 or 200 lbs.

Very similar to a Mathieu Perreault type player but a bit less goal scoring power.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Our best skater and center if you ask me. He lacks size and strength but his overall game is good. How this translate into the NHL is anybodies guess. His goal scoring ability is limited but his vision is good. Were talking about a player who stands out cause he is able to create separation with his skating. The issue here is once you turn pro, you need to be elite level at skating in order to create time and space. Does he have this ability, I'm not sure.

5'-11" and 185 lbs. Marchard is 5'-9" and 181 lbs. I think Morand could survive if he keeps working at his skating where he is considered one of the faster players and adds a few muscle brining him up to around 195 or 200 lbs.

Very similar to a Mathieu Perreault type player but a bit less goal scoring power.

Thanks! I was wondering because of his moderate production.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
I can agree with most of what everyone is saying here. If anybody thinks he is going to be a top six forward then they are a little bit late in the game. Groulx biggest assets are IQ and anticipation. It will take him some time to get to the show but it's not like he was a first rounder. The Mooseheads are far from a stacked team. There are no future NHL cornerstones there. They play with huge hearts in front of a great crowd. Groulx and MacIsaac may be the only future NHLers on that team. If what the Mooseheads have now stay together for next year they will contend for the Presidents Trophy again and may even be better than this years squad.

Reactions: The Baffled King

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Shocker. Comtois scores less than 8 minutes into his Drummondville debut. PP goal from Veleno and Beaudin. That team is going to be deadly.

EDIT: This tweet from Drummondville is also necessary

Last edited:

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Comtois' first game with Drummondville is a 7-3 victory. He finishes with just one goal, but he had 9 shots and was a +1 and named the 2nd star of the game.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Drummondville wins 10-3. Comtois had a shorthanded goal and a shorthanded assist on the same penalty kill. He finished the game 1+1 with 4 SOG and was a +1. Looks like he isn't playing with Veleno, who is on an absolute tear.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Comtois invited to Canada's world juniors camp (Shocker). I didn't think Morand would make the team but thought he would at least be invited.

Reactions: Kalv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad