Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Info 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
now that the draft is over, how's your top 10 prospect list looking?

Only going with guys with less than 10 games of NHL experience here so no Pettersson:

Steel
Mahura
Terry
Comtois
Larsson
Lundestrom
Jones
Morand

Kind of a crapshoot after that imo. We have some guys that are getting a bit old to be called prospects but have little NHL experience (Kossila, Welinski, etc) and some of the drafted guys need to prove a lot more

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Angel said:
Kind of a crapshoot after that imo.

I don't see it that way.

Ek an Dostal are serious goaltending prospects, sure some years away but they can be good.
Groulx, McLaughlin, Perbix, Badini, Kopacka and Gates are all long term projects and so far look ok.

I think our pool is quite fine.

Time will tell how good Lundeström is but when you play SHL at the age of 16 and be a regular for two seasons before the draft you are something. Maybe he will end up being a Zetterberg tpye of player.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Our prospect pool just doesn`t look as exciting as few years ago, but it`s not bad.

We`ll see how some of those develop, I think some of the guys we took this year might be late bloomers.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don't see it that way.

Ek an Dostal are serious goaltending prospects, sure some years away but they can be good.
Groulx, McLaughlin, Perbix, Badini, Kopacka and Gates are all long term projects and so far look ok.

I think our pool is quite fine.

Time will tell how good Lundeström is but when you play SHL at the age of 16 and be a regular for two seasons before the draft you are something. Maybe he will end up being a Zetterberg tpye of player.
What I mean by “crapshoot” is that it can go any way, not that the remaining guys have no potential
Crapshoot was possibly the wrong choice of words admittedly

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
What I mean by “crapshoot” is that it can go any way, not that the remaining guys have no potential
Crapshoot was possibly the wrong choice of words admittedly
I think we lack elite talent really... no clear top pairing dmen, no clear top line forwards. But that's kinda the price you pay for being a playoff team for a long time... we also don't seem to go after those Boom/Bust guys specially in the early rounds(like a bokk this year, or debrincat a couple years ago), but we do tend to always get value from anyone we pick in the top 3 rounds which is awesome.

Obviously guys like Steel, Terry, Comtois, Mahura and Larsson have potential to maybe become that but I see most of our higher end prospects as middle 6 forwards, or 2nd pairing dmen. I do think our goalie pool is really strong now.

Excited about the prospect camp scrimmage tho… always enjoy watching all the young guys go at it.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Of course they pick the weekend I have a tournament.

Kruddler

Jun 5, 2009
When do the annual prospect votes start happening around these parts? I always look forward to seeing those.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Dostal would seem to be our most likely candidate to be selected, although a poster on the main board thread was nice enough to translate/ summarize an interview that suggested he's likely staying put.

It's in Czech:
Pláže a teplo, Dostál letí do Anaheimu. Měl bych ale zůstat v Kometě, říká | Hokej.cz - web českého hokeje

Basically saying he likes the offer his home team Brno gave him and unless Anaheim disagrees with it, he wants to stay in the Czech Republic.

The Ducks may have a different plan in mind, he could be an excellent two year starter for a contender.

It's not impossible that Durny could be picked, but tough to imagine a team using both an overage and import slot to bring him in. Then again, maybe a team going all in this year would be more comfortable with a guy who has a season of experience on this side of the pond.

Lundestrom and Eriksson Ek would both also be eligible but I would assume both will be staying in Sweden.

Last edited:

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Dostal should play in Brno. The Czech league, while not a top tier league in Europe is still a very good one. Clearly behind SHL, Liiga and NLA it comes behind. The Extraliga is an interesting leauge to look for goalies. A lot of good ones in the middle 20s there. Dostal will get a good treatment there.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Dostal should play in Brno. The Czech league, while not a top tier league in Europe is still a very good one. Clearly behind SHL, Liiga and NLA it comes behind. The Extraliga is an interesting leauge to look for goalies. A lot of good ones in the middle 20s there. Dostal will get a good treatment there.

I don't think anyone here is saying that the Czech Extraliga is bad or anything like that. I was hoping for Dostal to get drafted to the CHL, because Kometa currently has four other goalies on their payroll, so there's a lot of competition there. The way things are, Dostal might get loaned to the tier 2 league again, which IMO is not ideal for his development, as Lukas already played well there last season...

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Not surprising but Comtois and Morand are the only Ducks' prospects invited to the Canada WJC camp.
Mahura not getting an invite is a bit surprising, no? He was incredibly close to making the eventual team last year, and Team Canada usually relied heavily on guys in their last year(s) of eligibility, from what I remember.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Mahura not getting an invite is a bit surprising, no? He was incredibly close to making the eventual team last year, and Team Canada usually relied heavily on guys in their last year(s) of eligibility, from what I remember.
Is mahura eligable? Isn't he AHL bound this year?

Reactions: Vipers31

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

Mahura is no longer eligible. He's San Diego bound next season.

Also, in regards to the annual prospect rankings, it's always been @Boogernaut 's thing so if they want to do it again this year then that's great, but if not I can do it again this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad