Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Info 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Yes, he has been disappointing but it is worth noting that Steel is a year behind Terry developmentally. I don’t want to make excuses for the guy but this really is a learning year for him seeing bigger/faster players for the first time in his life. He didn’t get to play at the olympics and have the cup of coffee Terry did last year. Next year is his year to really prove himself after a summer of training with professional players

good point. I just thought he was a little further along than he's shown. I was not surprised at all to see him struggle at the NHL level, which is why I argued against practically everyone who was penciling in as a regular on our 2nd/3rd line this season. However, thought he'd be much stronger in the AHL than he's shown. I think he's far from a lock for next year's team.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
good point. I just thought he was a little further along than he's shown. I was not surprised at all to see him struggle at the NHL level, which is why I argued against practically everyone who was penciling in as a regular on our 2nd/3rd line this season. However, thought he'd be much stronger in the AHL than he's shown. I think he's far from a lock for next year's team.

Strangely he looked much more comfortable at the NHL level than Terry (he still wasn’t ready though) but the later has been torching the AHL and Steel hasn’t.

Reactions: Duck Off

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Let terry/jones continue to get confidence and try things out of their comfort zone down there. If we need a callup just call up Kossila.

I think Kossila is really overlooked. Yeah he’s older than our other prospects but he wasn’t signed until 23 , has improved every year and is lighting up the AHL this season.

His skill is evident. He may not have enough of it to overcome his size and defensive deficiencies but on a team that desperately needs creativity he could help.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think Kossila is really overlooked. Yeah he’s older than our other prospects but he wasn’t signed until 23 , has improved every year and is lighting up the AHL this season.

His skill is evident. He may not have enough of it to overcome his size and defensive deficiencies but on a team that desperately needs creativity he could help.
Agreed... id like to see him get more looks

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia

If that's true, then you're going to have to wait for a coaching change, because he's been a poor fit with Carlyle so far.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
I'd like Max Jones to develop into a top-6 player playing with top-6 talent around him under top-6 minutes. What a sheer waste of talent to be demoted to the fourth line for a whole year in the NHL than to grow with top-6 minutes and mentality at the AHL level with his peers that he'll probably become his linemates in the future seasons.
Just like most power forwards including Ritchie and Getzlaf/Perry getting nhl experience is crucial and they work their way up. But fortunately Jones could pass players like Aberg or Sprong very easily

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If that's true, then you're going to have to wait for a coaching change, because he's been a poor fit with Carlyle so far.

Yeah I’m not going to disagree with that comment. RC isn’t the best fit. For all my criticisms of BB I think a coach like him would be ideal for a player like Kossila.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Just like most power forwards including Ritchie and Getzlaf/Perry getting nhl experience is crucial and they work their way up. But fortunately Jones could pass players like Aberg or Sprong very easily

Getzlaf played 17 games in the AHL, and was at a 1.94 points per game pace.
Ritchie played 38 games in the AHL, and was at a 0.789 points per game pace.
Jones has played 27 games in the AHL, and is at a 0.703 points per game pace.

You have to recall that Jones had to recover from an injury as well. So his game has been set back quite a bit. I'd like to think our coaches know a bit more than posters about their players. Comtois got sent back to juniors. Terry got sent back to the AHL. Steel got sent back to the AHL. Lundestrom got sent back to the AHL. It's quite possible that Jones might need just a little bit more maturation before getting his cup o' joe at the NHL level.

Oh, but you also have to remember that Jones was a bit too rambunctious in the Juniors. So learning to control one's self while playing on the edge is an important skill. Right now, giving away penalties is something the Ducks cannot survive often. So while I really like Jones and would like to see him up at the NHL club, I do understand why the club is taking their time with Jones.

Here's what I do know about Aberg and Sprong - they've contributed to wins this year. Aberg's got 19 points in 35 games. Sprong had 5 points in 12 games (four goals). So let's kindly temper your hype on Jones until Jones can prove it on NHL ice when he finally get a chance. Until then, enjoy the fact we have Jones in the AHL for our NHL club right now. It's a long season yet.

Reactions: Getz2perry
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
He's tied for the AHL rookie scoring lead (in fewer games played) and is 2nd in AHL rookie points per game behind Batherson.
Exactly. He's having a good season, for a rookie.

Edit - I'm not saying he's having a bad season, if that's what folks are getting defensive about. He's doing the bare minimum of what you'd want of a player who's expected to be a top 6 scorer should do. If you want examples of what "torching" the AHL actually looks like, look at Getzlaf, Penner, McDonald. That's torching. Terry is doing fine but you can't tell from his stats alone whether he's ready. Which means he's probably still not ready.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Exactly. He's having a good season, for a rookie.

Edit - I'm not saying he's having a bad season, if that's what folks are getting defensive about. He's doing the bare minimum of what you'd want of a player who's expected to be a top 6 scorer should do. If you want examples of what "torching" the AHL actually looks like, look at Getzlaf, Penner, McDonald. That's torching. Terry is doing fine but you can't tell from his stats alone whether he's ready. Which means he's probably still not ready.
I agree with you mostly, but just for looking at it again quickly, I think Penner and Andy Mac numbers in their best seasons were similar to Terrys now. But yeah, Terry is not ''torching'' the league. He is torching some opponents in some games, but Getz and Perry level of production was an actual torching. I wasn`t looking their games then, but that production they were putting up, was insane. It was by the later-to-be 50 goal scorer and one time league MVP and the other dude should be considered a top5 center of the generation. (or right up there).
Regarding Terry - yeah it`s still an impressive output. We just need to feed him some hotdogs :sarcasm:

Reactions: Dmang714

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Getzlaf played 17 games in the AHL, and was at a 1.94 points per game pace.
Ritchie played 38 games in the AHL, and was at a 0.789 points per game pace.
Jones has played 27 games in the AHL, and is at a 0.703 points per game pace.

You have to recall that Jones had to recover from an injury as well. So his game has been set back quite a bit. I'd like to think our coaches know a bit more than posters about their players. Comtois got sent back to juniors. Terry got sent back to the AHL. Steel got sent back to the AHL. Lundestrom got sent back to the AHL. It's quite possible that Jones might need just a little bit more maturation before getting his cup o' joe at the NHL level.

Oh, but you also have to remember that Jones was a bit too rambunctious in the Juniors. So learning to control one's self while playing on the edge is an important skill. Right now, giving away penalties is something the Ducks cannot survive often. So while I really like Jones and would like to see him up at the NHL club, I do understand why the club is taking their time with Jones.

Here's what I do know about Aberg and Sprong - they've contributed to wins this year. Aberg's got 19 points in 35 games. Sprong had 5 points in 12 games (four goals). So let's kindly temper your hype on Jones until Jones can prove it on NHL ice when he finally get a chance. Until then, enjoy the fact we have Jones in the AHL for our NHL club right now. It's a long season yet.
I will say I like jones game a lot, and think hes a guy that would thrive at the NHL level... but really no need to rush him up right now with the way the team looks. Let him mature a bit more... still a very young player. I think hes our most underrated prospect around here.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I think it would be beneficial for jones to get a short stint in the NHL then send him back to the ahl where it would be easier. This could hopefully coax some more offence and confidence out of him in the minors.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think it would be beneficial for jones to get a short stint in the NHL then send him back to the ahl where it would be easier. This could hopefully coax some more offence and confidence out of him in the minors.

I'm lost with this logic. I thought the NHL club is what calls up players when they need help. So now it's the AHL club dictating to the NHL club what to do? Is Jones putting up Getzlaf numbers at the NHL? If not, then just let him mature and elevate his game accordingly. He'll get his shot. Until then, Jones needs to learn how to dominate the AHL level.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Now knowing he's got a separated shoulders, I'm relieve the Ducks' medical staff are seeing him. Far better medical staffing with the Ducks. Something similar to this happened with Lindholm, I believe. But since he played over the pond, he could stay in the AHL as an 18 year old. No juniors - AHL agreement with across the pond league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia