Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Info 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Me included. Very happy to see him proving me wrong.
Not like he is breaking any records down there but overall not bad, just want him to create the play more.
Ya hes not gunna be a superstar... but his athletcism and energy should make him a solid nhl player.

At floor id say more skilled clutterbuck... maybe kunitz type player... tom wilson would be ceiling

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Ya hes not gunna be a superstar... but his athletcism and energy should make him a solid nhl player.

At floor id say more skilled clutterbuck... maybe kunitz type player... tom wilson would be ceiling

Who would have thought that Tom Wilson as a ceiling would've been a thing....

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You think his floor...his FLOOR... is Chris Kunitz.
I said clutterbuck was floor.... kunitz type is what I think hell be.... energy player that can move up and down the line up. He is very athletic fast strong... and actually has a pretty high hockey skill level.

Idk why you sound so shocked even if I thought his floor was kunitz.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If anything Kunitz would be the ceiling, Kunitz is 10 times the player Wilson will ever be.

Kunitz also has 3 more Cups than him. Seems like yesterday Kunitz was one of the young guns of the Ducks cup winning team & now he'll turn 40 in 2019.
Quite a career he's had being a undrafted player.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I said clutterbuck was floor.... kunitz type is what I think hell be.... energy player that can move up and down the line up. He is very athletic fast strong... and actually has a pretty high hockey skill level.

Idk why you sound so shocked even if I thought his floor was kunitz.

Kunitz was a legit first line winger in his prime, a Kunitz ceiling is a stretch for Jones. Suggesting that is his floor or even his likely outcome is setting the bar way too high.

Josh Anderson ceiling, Emerson Etem floor...likely outcome is somewhere in between.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Kunitz was a legit first line winger in his prime, a Kunitz ceiling is a stretch for Jones. Suggesting that is his floor or even his likely outcome is setting the bar way too high.

Josh Anderson ceiling, Emerson Etem floor...likely outcome is somewhere in between.
I said type of player.

Jones plays fast, and physical gets in on forecheck and can chip in offensively. Not lookin at point totals, just style.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I said type of player.

Jones plays fast, and physical gets in on forecheck and can chip in offensively. Not lookin at point totals, just style.

The style you described "energy player who can move up and down the line up" is not a proper description of what Kunitz brought to the table - he was a lot more than that.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
A very simple update on our top 25 prospects at the end of 2018. Have watched very little of most of these so keep that in mind. If anyone more knowledgeable wants to chime in, that would be awesome.

1. Sam Steel - started the year in the NHL(1-2-3 in 13 GP), wasn't NHL ready, doing well in the AHL (6-8-14 in 22 GP) and should make the team next season.
2. Troy Terry - similar situation as Steel going pointless in his 6 NHL games, but is absolutely dominating the AHL going 12-19-31 in 26 games. Also should make the team next season.
3. Jacob Larsson - started the year in the AHL but has now made the NHL full time and looks very solid.
4. Josh Mahura - has played half the season in the AHL and half in the NHL but does not look NHL ready. Potential is there but he'd be down in the AHL if Fowler were healthy.
5. Isac Lundestrom - made the team at 18 and did not look out of place in the NHL. Has spent most of the season in the AHL and has yet to score his first goal, going 0-6-6 in 12 games. Currently playing for Sweden in the WJC and has looked ok so far. Should be on the team within the next 2 years.
6. Maxime Comtois - made the team out of camp and looked great, posting a stat line of 2-5-7 in 10 games. His injury coupled with other forwards returning from injury (and Ritchie from his contract dispute) pushed us to send him back to juniors. Currently dominating the WJC and should be on the team next year.
7. Marcus Pettersson - played well on the 3rd pairing before being traded to the Penguins for Sprong.
8. Max Jones - playing extremely well in his first pro season going 10-9-19 in his 26 AHL games. Likely will get a cup of coffee at some point this season and could potentially make the team full time next season.
9. Antoine Morand - having a disappointing year offensively going 12-21-33 in 34 games after being above PPG his last 2 seasons.
10. Kalle Kossila - made the NHL due to injures to our centers, went 1-0-1 in 8 games and is beginning to look like a full time AHL player.
11. Andy Welinski - played 13 NHL games while being a part of the revolving door that is our 3RHD (him, Dotchin, Schenn, Sustr). Not showing any reason why he should stay full time, could potentially be lost to waivers next season.
12. Kevin Roy - has played no hockey games this season due to injuries.
13. Benoit-Olivier Groulx - having a very good year going 19-18-37 in 33 games. Much better than the previous 2. I like his potential.
14. Blake McLaughlin - also missed a lot of time with injuries and is struggling in his first college season going 0-5-5 in 14 games.
15. Olle Eriksson Ek - also having a down year this season, posting a 2.75 GAA and a .899 SV%. Currently playing for Sweden in the WJC
16. Jack Kopacka - only played 3 games this season in the AHL due to injuries. 1-1-2 in those games.
17. Giovanni Fiore - had another good season in the AHL going 6-5-11 in 23 games before traded to the Coyotes.
18. Jack Badini - having a decent sophomore season going 3-4-7 in 11 games.
19. Lukas Dostal- great season with a 2.53 GAA and .917 SV%. Excelling in the WJC for the Czech team.
20. Jack Perbix- a bit of a disappointing season for him going 2-15-17 in 28 games with the USHL.
21. Kiefer Sherwood - surprisingly made the NHL and looks to stay there for quite awhile, playing on our top line last night. Nothing amazing but a very solid 4th liner going 5-5-10 in 40 games.
22. Hunter Drew - good season in the Q 7-16-23 in 29 games.
23. Nick Sorensen - having a good season going 10-7-17 in 26 games in the SHL, but it is unknown if he will ever come back over to NA.
24. Brent Gates - having another solid NCAA season going 6-6-12 in 17 games. think he's one of our more underrated prospects.
25. Kyle Olson - having by far his best CHL season going 9-24-33 in 30 games.

Oct 18, 2011
I'm not going to rate our system. I think we have lots of good prospects. But we're missing that crown jewel like Getzlaf

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
terry > steel @ me

and sherwood will be better than half the people you put above him who will bust.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Morand is a big time disappointment. This was supposed to be his year to become one of the top dogs on his junior team and push for a spot at the WJC but he just hasn’t come close. He will obviously have a chance to turn it around at the AHL level but it’s not very encouraging.

To me, the best development for our prospects has been Jones staying healthy and showing he will be NHL caliber pretty soon. Don’t sleep on this guy. He’s massive and super athletic. I think he’ll make the team out of camp next year

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Jones ceiling is a much more physical Chris Kreider he has the potential to be a great player unfortunately Street /Gibbons need to keep playing so he hasn't gotten his opportunity yet

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Personally I think Terry will be a first line player, Steel and Lundeström a 2/3 line centerman. Jones, we will see. The tools are great and he can be everything, from a 1st liner to a 4th line checker.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I haven`t seen a game of Gulls hockey this season, but Steels numbers are not that great in the AHL - same with Lundestrom.

Jones is scoring more than I expected and that`s very pleasing. Obviously, Terry is scoring at a great pace.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Jones ceiling is a much more physical Chris Kreider he has the potential to be a great player unfortunately Street /Gibbons need to keep playing so he hasn't gotten his opportunity yet

I'd like Max Jones to develop into a top-6 player playing with top-6 talent around him under top-6 minutes. What a sheer waste of talent to be demoted to the fourth line for a whole year in the NHL than to grow with top-6 minutes and mentality at the AHL level with his peers that he'll probably become his linemates in the future seasons.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
A very simple update on our top 25 prospects at the end of 2018. Have watched very little of most of these so keep that in mind. If anyone more knowledgeable wants to chime in, that would be awesome.

1. Sam Steel - started the year in the NHL(1-2-3 in 13 GP), wasn't NHL ready, doing well in the AHL (6-8-14 in 22 GP) and should make the team next season.
2. Troy Terry - similar situation as Steel going pointless in his 6 NHL games, but is absolutely dominating the AHL going 12-19-31 in 26 games. Also should make the team next season.
3. Jacob Larsson - started the year in the AHL but has now made the NHL full time and looks very solid.
4. Josh Mahura - has played half the season in the AHL and half in the NHL but does not look NHL ready. Potential is there but he'd be down in the AHL if Fowler were healthy.
5. Isac Lundestrom - made the team at 18 and did not look out of place in the NHL. Has spent most of the season in the AHL and has yet to score his first goal, going 0-6-6 in 12 games. Currently playing for Sweden in the WJC and has looked ok so far. Should be on the team within the next 2 years.
6. Maxime Comtois - made the team out of camp and looked great, posting a stat line of 2-5-7 in 10 games. His injury coupled with other forwards returning from injury (and Ritchie from his contract dispute) pushed us to send him back to juniors. Currently dominating the WJC and should be on the team next year.
7. Marcus Pettersson - played well on the 3rd pairing before being traded to the Penguins for Sprong.
8. Max Jones - playing extremely well in his first pro season going 10-9-19 in his 26 AHL games. Likely will get a cup of coffee at some point this season and could potentially make the team full time next season.
9. Antoine Morand - having a disappointing year offensively going 12-21-33 in 34 games after being above PPG his last 2 seasons.
10. Kalle Kossila - made the NHL due to injures to our centers, went 1-0-1 in 8 games and is beginning to look like a full time AHL player.
11. Andy Welinski - played 13 NHL games while being a part of the revolving door that is our 3RHD (him, Dotchin, Schenn, Sustr). Not showing any reason why he should stay full time, could potentially be lost to waivers next season.
12. Kevin Roy - has played no hockey games this season due to injuries.
13. Benoit-Olivier Groulx - having a very good year going 19-18-37 in 33 games. Much better than the previous 2. I like his potential.
14. Blake McLaughlin - also missed a lot of time with injuries and is struggling in his first college season going 0-5-5 in 14 games.
15. Olle Eriksson Ek - also having a down year this season, posting a 2.75 GAA and a .899 SV%. Currently playing for Sweden in the WJC
16. Jack Kopacka - only played 3 games this season in the AHL due to injuries. 1-1-2 in those games.
17. Giovanni Fiore - had another good season in the AHL going 6-5-11 in 23 games before traded to the Coyotes.
18. Jack Badini - having a decent sophomore season going 3-4-7 in 11 games.
19. Lukas Dostal- great season with a 2.53 GAA and .917 SV%. Excelling in the WJC for the Czech team.
20. Jack Perbix- a bit of a disappointing season for him going 2-15-17 in 28 games with the USHL.
21. Kiefer Sherwood - surprisingly made the NHL and looks to stay there for quite awhile, playing on our top line last night. Nothing amazing but a very solid 4th liner going 5-5-10 in 40 games.
22. Hunter Drew - good season in the Q 7-16-23 in 29 games.
23. Nick Sorensen - having a good season going 10-7-17 in 26 games in the SHL, but it is unknown if he will ever come back over to NA.
24. Brent Gates - having another solid NCAA season going 6-6-12 in 17 games. think he's one of our more underrated prospects.
25. Kyle Olson - having by far his best CHL season going 9-24-33 in 30 games.

good write up. sadly most disappointing player in here is Steel.

Most surprising has got to be Sherwood.

Said it during and the voting and still think it; Kossila was voted way too early, and Groulx was too low.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

it's not just Jones that's more deserving over Street and Gibbons. There's more to the decision of who should be called up than "who's the best player right now" when discussing young players. I definitely think Jones deserves a call up, but like Terry, I think spending most of this season in the AHL is good for them.

Reactions: Paul4587

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
it's not just Jones that's more deserving over Street and Gibbons. There's more to the decision of who should be called up than "who's the best player right now" when discussing young players. I definitely think Jones deserves a call up, but like Terry, I think spending most of this season in the AHL is good for them.

Yeah why rush them when they’re not going to be playing in the top 9 anyway?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Let terry/jones continue to get confidence and try things out of their comfort zone down there. If we need a callup just call up Kossila.

Reactions: Paul4587

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Yes, he has been disappointing but it is worth noting that Steel is a year behind Terry developmentally. I don’t want to make excuses for the guy but this really is a learning year for him seeing bigger/faster players for the first time in his life. He didn’t get to play at the olympics and have the cup of coffee Terry did last year. Next year is his year to really prove himself after a summer of training with professional players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad