GDT: Ducks @ GoodDevils, 7:00, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I repeat. Lindy is not the problem. You get decent goaltending, this team will win.
Lindy is a lame duck coach and I don’t want him here next season under any circumstances, so I don’t see how he’s not a problem at any point this season.

Add my lack of enthusiasm with his systems and I will see him as a problem even if this team wins games. The talent improved and the goalies, for whatever it’s worth, are at least not struggling with injuries (knock on wood).

Ruff should be dead man walking, I don’t want to even think of the alternative.

But hey, we both thoroughly dominated and managed to actually defeat a lousy team at home.

Last edited:

Tiredswede

Dec 6, 2016
Playing 3 defenseman 23+ minutes...5 forwards nearly 20 minutes.

He's going to run these guys into the ground.
If that’s the only way to beat one of the worst teams in the league playing their 3rd game in 4 nights I’m not sure how the season will go

I miss the days of “do the right things and the results will follow “

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
the numbers say the opposite.
Tha was a response to someone saying we give up a lot of high danger chances. That may be the case …the number of them might not be as much as some teams, but no fancy schmancy stats can convince me that we dont give up a shit ton of super duper ultra mega good chances of the stat I call sdumgc x60.
Honestly though , I put almost zero weight behind the stat of high danger chances for and against.
It’s a stat that is an opinion or has room for error and is based off of a person deciding if a chance or not is considered “high danger” or not. It’s a qualified stat and not quantified. One person may consider a play “dangerous“ while another can say the same exact play is not . Its based on opinion not fact.
Id say by watching the games that the chances we give up are epic breakdowns that I don’t see many other teams give up.
Guys wide open in the slot , guys walking into prime scoring areas untouched. When we give up chances , they are usually massive breakdowns.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Playing 3 defenseman 23+ minutes...5 forwards nearly 20 minutes.

He's going to run these guys into the ground.
At least you can say they had two days off before and a day off after...but yeah not exactly ideal that you need to run your top guys' minutes up to squeeze out a win over one of the handful of worst teams in the league at home.

Reactions: njdevils1982

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
a lot quietier in here tonight

wonder why....

:laugh:
What exactly do you think it means? Of course people don’t have as much to say after a win in this environment…it’s not proof of anything until they can consistently do it, so there’s really not a lot to discuss. The emotional response to losing is more raw and prone to venting via volume posting due to continued frustrations with the team long term. It’s not some gotcha like you’re implying.

The team won, and it feels good. Much better than losing. But let’s remember this is one game, against a bad team, playing the second half of a back to back and the last game of a five game opposite coast road trip. It’s not like anyone believes they would lose every game.

You should also take note that they played much better defensively in this one, and more physical from my observations which I’m certainly not used to with this group. But it was glaring…they gave very little room to Anaheim at any point, particularly after the first period. I still didn’t think their chances on offense were as high quality as one would hope when you’re outshooting your opponent by a 2-1 margin, they also still farted around too much at the blue lines. Blackwood sucked in the first and then was average the rest of the way, but he didn’t need to be more than that thanks to the better defending. All this was again in the context of an opponent that is not a very good team playing on the heels of a very difficult schedule for them.

Camille the Eel

Yea I don't think Blackwood is a good goalie at all but he did his job tonight.
We hung him out to dry quite a bit too. Breakaways. Point blank breakdowns in front of him, puck hits the post that would have made it 3 zip. If we could only eliminate the really catastrophic breakdowns. When we make a mistake, boy we don’t stint, we really make it. For only 20 shots, a large proportion were the kind of chances that don’t get any better. Good battle from him tonight, I will give him that.
Good win. No reservations about it, a real character check and I liked where we scored from and how we scored. Dirty goals in tight spaces.
What more can you say about Bratt.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
What exactly do you think it means? Of course people don’t have as much to say after a win in this environment…it’s not proof of anything until they can consistently do it, so there’s really not a lot to discuss. The emotional response to losing is more raw and prone to venting via volume posting due to continued frustrations with the team long term. It’s not some gotcha like you’re implying.

The team won, and it feels good. Much better than losing. But let’s remember this is one game, against a bad team, playing the second half of a back to back and the last game of a five game opposite coast road trip. It’s not like anyone believes they would lose every game.

You should also take note that they played much better defensively in this one, and more physical from my observations which I’m certainly not used to with this group. But it was glaring…they gave very little room to Anaheim at any point, particularly after the first period. I still didn’t think their chances on offense were as high quality as one would hope when you’re outshooting your opponent by a 2-1 margin, they also still farted around too much at the blue lines. Blackwood sucked in the first and then was average the rest of the way, but he didn’t need to be more than that thanks to the better defending. All this was again in the context of an opponent that is not a very good team playing on the heels of a very difficult schedule for them.
This game proves nothing, but when we outplay a team and lose, that’s proof positive of whatever grievances you like to trot out. This is now two games in a row where we heavily outplayed the opposition, but this time we got some finish and a few saves.

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
John Marino has been much better than I expected so far. He's been an absolutely monstrous upgrade on Ty Smith, even the "good" version.

If he can play anywhere near this level with consistency, they'll be able to let Severson walk with zero regrets.
Plus you've got Luke and Nemec to replace his offense. Get a 1st for him at the deadline.

Reactions: Guadana

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
This game proves nothing, but when we outplay a team and lose, that’s proof positive of whatever grievances you like to trot out. This is now two games in a row where we heavily outplayed the opposition, but this time we got some finish and a few saves.
No first sentence is BS. First off we don’t agree about what constitutes “outplayed”. Secondly the reason that this proves nothing is this crazy thing called benefit of the doubt which they haven’t earned.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Glad they won, please stop making it so difficult with bad teams

Our Powerplay is so bad

We should be 3-0 with how they have actually played, but some terrible breakdowns and horrible goaltending cost us two games.

And we would have been a playoff team last year too with that metric, please stop fooling yourselves with those delusions

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
John Marino has been much better than I expected so far. He's been an absolutely monstrous upgrade on Ty Smith, even the "good" version.

If he can play anywhere near this level with consistency, they'll be able to let Severson walk with zero regrets.
Early results suggest he is #1 pk rhd, which is key.

Smith, in addition to be being bad 5v5, brought nothing in terms of special teams, and couldn't even be considered for pk duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad