Ducks-Blues game postponed for medical emergency involving Jay Bouwmeester

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
good lord that's frightening...hope he gets well soon and enjoys just...ya know life

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Is it just me or does this shit happen in hockey way more than any other sport?

Maybe it's because I don't pay attention enough to the others, but in the last 15 years you've got Fischer, Cheverpanov, Pavelec, Peverley, and now Bouwmeester.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Wow, so it was indeed a heart issue, quite scary. I hope when all is said and done Jay can fully recover and retire in the way he wants to.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
All best for him.

If this is the end of his incredible career, it is then that, but we all will salute him! He truly gave his heart to the game, as concrete way as possible.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
This is false. Earnhardt was dead right away. It was Ken Schrader who was the one that ran over to the car and saw right away he was lifeless. It was an awful tragedy. The only silver lining is it made nascar change many things with the safety of the cars and walls.

Thanks.

I imagined he was but couldn't figure out that brief clip. Unless it was a Weekend at Bernie's situation.

Back to hockey, Jiri Fischer, of all people, spoke about his experience not even two weeks ago

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Can a hockey player come back from a heart attack? It has been a ****ty year for the NHL...
I’d be shocked if he came back. He has young daughters. He’s had an incredible career and I’m really happy he got to lift the Cup.

There’s nothing left he needs to accomplish and he’s got other things to focus on now. It’s sad but he was a warrior his whole career. Best of luck, Jay. Awful way to play your last game, but you’ll be remembered for so many good things.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Jay is 36 with a family, plenty of money, and a stocked trophy case. Sad thing to think about but this may be it for Jay Bouw. Whatever he decides I wish him the absolute best. Incredible pro and a huge reason we brought home the cup last summer. Hope he and his family are doing okay right now.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Right call to postpone.

Best wishes, he’s got some of the best care in the world so I’m sure he’ll be fine.

Flyers Time

May 4, 2012
I’d be shocked if he came back. He has young daughters. He’s had an incredible career and I’m really happy he got to lift the Cup.

There’s nothing left he needs to accomplish and he’s got other things to focus on now. It’s sad but he was a warrior his whole career. Best of luck, Jay. Awful way to play your last game, but you’ll be remembered for so many good things.
20 minutes a night for almost 18 freaking years.What a god damn warrior. Prayers J Bow one of my favorite non Flyers players.

Reactions: RORbacon

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI

here is a dual feed.
first is Anaheim feed.
4:38 STL feed. really scary.

So when they resume this game on a different day is it just gonna be 2 periods with added 7:50 added ?
Not very often do we get postponed games so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Scary situation for sure, especially having the fathers on the trip. Tough to watch for sure, and I also feel bad for that kid and his mom who are sitting right next to where he collapsed.

I am glad to hear Bouwmeester was alert and talking though, thats a good sign.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Did he get caught on a very long shift? NHL is really asking for trouble with those icing rules where players are not allowed to change for fresh ones. I always thought that was a dangerous and reckless rule and also vicious in a way.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Nothing left to prove now, he's 36, had a long career that's seen him win a Stanley Cup, Olympic Gold, World Championship and 2 World Cups, his health is more important at this point.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I see we have moved in from wildly speculating about the cause, to now speculating the effects it will have on his career...

anyways, I’ll pass on the speculation and just hope he is indeed out of the woods and this was a scary but isolated incident. Very scary :/

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
He was probably gonna retire soon, he needs to call it a career. Thank god defibrillators are mandatory at all rinks. At least he got a Cup too.

So when they resume this game on a different day is it just gonna be 2 periods with added 7:50 added ?

Nope restart at 20 minutes of the 1st with a 1-1 score, both goals count

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018

here is a dual feed.
first is Anaheim feed.
4:38 STL feed. really scary.

Last time this happened they kept the score and played a shortened game. Will probably just start at Period 2 tied 1-1.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Is it just me or does this **** happen in hockey way more than any other sport?

Maybe it's because I don't pay attention enough to the others, but in the last 15 years you've got Fischer, Cheverpanov, Pavelec, Peverley, and now Bouwmeester.

Cherepanov was a unique case due to the blood doping. Pumping the red blood cells back into the body increases the chance of a heart attack by making the blood thicker and forcing the heart to work harder to move it through the body. Add on the stresses of professional sports, and you have a disaster.

I don't know if it's happened at the professional level
(NBA), but I remember reading an article that basketball was especially rough on the body from all the start-stop activity. I imagine soccer might be similar. It's been written about before over the years:

The frightening frequency of heart attacks in soccer

I remember there were a number of kids in a very short time frame who had died of cardiac events from undiagnosed heart conditions, and you still hear about them in the news every now and again, but most professional leagues have rigorous medical screenings. You're not going to catch everything, sadly, and there's always weird cases. Fortunately, the league has been prepared and lives have been saved.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I was recently reading some old articles on Peverley and being really happy that nothing like that had happened since (though I guess I did forget about Craig Cunningham). There'd been a few instances of heart anomalies found in physicals and such, and that always concerns me (both Peverley and Fischer had them as well before their incidents). A complete shock hearing this happening to Bouwmeester, who, AFAIK, has never been diagnosed with any heart conditions before this.

Glad he was in a situation like this where such an incident resulted in him getting the best medical care possible as quickly as possible, and massive props go to the medical staffs of both teams for their reactions in this situation. They're the unsung heroes here. Massive respect.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
I hope my heart doesn't stop while I'm alone in my basement reading HF...

The plus side of all this is it happened in a place where thousands of people had eyes on him. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Cherepanov was a unique case due to the blood doping. Pumping the red blood cells back into the body increases the chance of a heart attack by making the blood thicker and forcing the heart to work harder to move it through the body. Add on the stresses of professional sports, and you have a disaster.

I don't know if it's happened at the professional level
(NBA), but I remember reading an article that basketball was especially rough on the body from all the start-stop activity. I imagine soccer might be similar. It's been written about before over the years:

The frightening frequency of heart attacks in soccer

I remember there were a number of kids in a very short time frame who had died of cardiac events from undiagnosed heart conditions, and you still hear about them in the news every now and again, but most professional leagues have rigorous medical screenings. You're not going to catch everything, sadly, and there's always weird cases. Fortunately, the league has been prepared and lives have been saved.

Re: Basketball, IIRC, there's also the factor of them being much taller than the average person, which increases the stress put on the heart as well.

Reactions: Charlie Conway

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Not want to speculate, but generally speaking it doesn't promise good for a career in high intensity, high interval sports if suffering from a heart attack. Seldom, if ever, the core organ of human body remains the same as it was before the cardiac arrest.

No deeper medical knowledge is required to conclude that.

:|

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad