Ducks-Blues game postponed for medical emergency involving Jay Bouwmeester

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Logged on to check the boxscores, but end up seeing this news instead. Scary, scary stuff. Hopefully Bouwmeester will make a full recovery.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
According to LA Times "He had previously been diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat."

That quote is in reference to Rich Peverley, not Bouwmeester.

"The incident was reminiscent of a situation in 2014 involving Rich Peverley of the Dallas Stars.
He collapsed on his team’s bench and had to be revived after he went into cardiac arrest. He had previously been diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat."

I'll assume honest error and not malice here, but please be a bit more careful next time.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
His heart stopped. At his age, even if he gets medically cleared, I doubt he risks playing another game.
He also has at least 2 kids I think. With his career earnings and the fact he has a family, I would expect retirement. He's won pretty much everything there is to win outside a WJC gold.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
All my thoughts to Bouwmeester, his family, Blues fans and organization... hope for a speedy recovery!

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
He also has at least 2 kids I think. With his career earnings and the fact he has a family, I would expect retirement. He's won pretty much everything there is to win outside a WJC gold.

Indeed. That said, these guys work their butts off because they love what they do, and it's all they know. Despite the obvious logic in the decision to walk away, I wouldn't be shocked if Bouw expressed at least a desire to return, even if he does ultimately call it a career. It's part of what got him to where he is now in the first place.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Not want to speculate, but generally speaking it doesn't promise good for a career in high intensity, high interval sports if suffering from a heart attack. Seldom, if ever, the core organ of human body remains the same as it was before the cardiac arrest.

No deeper medical knowledge is required to conclude that.

:|
It's possible but very unlikely to be a heart attack in his demographic.

More likely another cardiac issue. But probably one that would make him retire IMO.

Reactions: Se829ne

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Indeed. That said, these guys work their butts off because they love what they do, and it's all they know. Despite the obvious logic in the decision to walk away, I wouldn't be shocked if Bouw expressed at least a desire to return, even if he does ultimately call it a career. It's part of what got him to where he is now in the first place.

What ever follows, it is certain we won't see him a next week's game.

sunsetsuperhuman

Mar 9, 2018
Freaking Dads week too. His dad is right there to witness that live.

Idk why that’s worse but it is.

I think its better tbh. It means that his dad wont be out of town wishing he could be there to help his son recover, and instead can be at his side at UCI.

I wouldn't want it to happen to anybody but if my son had something like this happen I'd rather be there where I can try to help in whatever way possible, as opposed to being in another country hoping for information to trickle in.

Prayers for Jaybo. I came home to turn on the game and it was postponed and I had no idea what happened. It's scary stuff. Good call by two classy franchises and I wish him a speedy recovery (and as a local, a transfer to a better hospital than UCI)

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I think its better tbh. It means that his dad wont be out of town wishing he could be there to help his son recover, and instead can be at his side at UCI.

I wouldn't want it to happen to anybody but if my son had something like this happen I'd rather be there where I can try to help in whatever way possible, as opposed to being in another country hoping for information to trickle in.

Prayers for Jaybo. I came home to turn on the game and it was postponed and I had no idea what happened. It's scary stuff. Good call by two classy franchises and I wish him a speedy recovery (and as a local, a transfer to a better hospital than UCI)

agreed, when I heard it was dads week I was relieved that both son and dad would have each other.

Reactions: Celtic Note

dennis90

Aug 30, 2019
Insane how tv stations just goes to commercial when something happens.
Also see that in NFL broadcasts, "oh, looks like *insert name* is down and in some trouble, we will be right back after this message from burger king"
disgusting practice, and how about the new split screen commercials?
money and these commercials are now more important than the games and the players health, and the audience that cares about it

PezRadar

Peverley #1 Fan!
Jan 20, 2008
Dallas Texas
Ooof.

Glad he is stable and doing okay. This brought back flashbacks to Rich Peverley for me. I was at that game with Dallas vs CBJ. Seems like they got this one sorted to announce the postponement in a much faster fashion. We were sitting around AAC after Pevs collapsed for like an hour before we knew what was going on. It was so somber in there. No music and just people waiting and worried.

Glad JBou is good .

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
That's scary.

I think he will call it a career. He got his Cup already, and is 36 years old. No need to risk anything.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Also see that in NFL broadcasts, "oh, looks like *insert name* is down and in some trouble, we will be right back after this message from burger king"
money and these commercials are now more important than the games and the players health, and the audience that cares about it
Would you rather watch an empty arena? What are they supposed to do? Do you realize those advertisers are a large part of what makes them the revenue that enables the players to earn their livings and in turn receive great medical care?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
money and these commercials are now more important than the games and the players' health, and the audience that cares about it
In clear emergency's I think its actually a practice to go to commercial because god forbid they need to start doing dramatic live-saving procedures on the ice like they did with Craig Cunningham, they don't want to show that to viewers and potentially family members watching. You probably also want your commentators who are right next to what is happening to gain some composure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad