Ducks-Blues game postponed for medical emergency involving Jay Bouwmeester

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
My best guess would be Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy... It's one of the more common causes of sudden cardiac death, and is particular potent in Athletes. I hope I am wrong because it's a life long condition and it would probably spell the end of his hockey career.

"Less scary things" that could have gone wrong cardiac-wise would be an aberrant/accessory conduction pathway. Those can often be treated once identified depending on what is causing the electric issues.

Sending my best wishes for the man regardless of what is wrong.

Last edited:

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Much love 19. Have a full life to live ahead of you. Very scary situation, Pang on the Blues broadcast had probably everyone watching choked and sick to their stomachs with how upset he was expecting the worse. The latest news from Army is wonderful news that he is stable. Thoughts and prayers.

Reactions: trostol

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Best of luck to Jaybo. Been a fan since his Florida days.

I dont want to sound insensitive as i have a ton of respect for Bouwmeester..but just a question about the postponed game. If Jay is unfit to play, will st louis be allowed to continue the game with a new player? Or have to play 1 man down.

Whats the NHL rules on that?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How come this seems to be so prevalent today?

Fischer, Cherepanov, Pavelec, Peverley, now Bouwmeester.. did these things happen pre-2000 and I've just never heard of it?
A bunch of examples throughout sports. Most notable ones happened in basketball such as Hank Gathers dying at a conference tournament in the early '90s (There's a great 30 for 30 on it). Reggie Lewis an All-star for the Celtics had a cardiac incident during the NBA playoffs. He died during a pick-up game preparing for the next season a couple months later. There have been a few in soccer over the years. Pete Maravich died playing pick-up in his early 40's.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
at least this happened at the very end of his career and after he's won a cup and olympic gold

the updates have been promising so far so hopefully he makes a full recovery. always liked bouwmeester

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Is it just me or does this **** happen in hockey way more than any other sport?

Maybe it's because I don't pay attention enough to the others, but in the last 15 years you've got Fischer, Cheverpanov, Pavelec, Peverley, and now Bouwmeester.

*Assuming* the cause is Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, it's one of the more common heart defects we know of actually. It's not just hockey - athletes are particularly prone to the thickening of the heart muscle because they exercise so much they push their heart muscle more than an average person would. Eventually they reach the point in the disease progression that their need for oxygen exceeds the capacity of the heart to pump, and the heart panics and goes into an arrhythmia... often not a life sustaining one at that. It's less that the disease is becoming more common, and more-so that sports and athletes are becoming more public figures and our awareness of them is much higher.

There are actually a multitude of heart-related issues we are starting to learn more about in the past little while here that are related to other conditions. For example, Anxiety Attacks can sometimes actually be arrhythmia caused by accessory electrical pathways in the heart. Our treatment for Anxiety Attacks (medications) are actually contraindicated in these situations, so it's VERY interesting to see this getting missed so often. Another example is a unique genetic condition called "Brugada Syndrome" which is a disorder with your electrolyte channels within your heart. When an individual is healthy the heart generally operates normally even with this syndrome; however when the body is under stress or in particular is febrile the symptoms start to show up and people often going into a short arrhythmia - sometimes lethal. There is supporting research that shows this may actually be a (the) potential cause of SIDS: ie: the infant is laid down in bed and wrapped in warm clothing, or has a slight fever, and it fosters the conditions for the arrhythmia to develop.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Seems identical to the Rich Peverley incident in Dallas in 2015. Was it also cardiac arrest here?
peverley had suffered from an irregular heartbeat prior to the incident and had gotten it checked out prior to that season before being cleared by doctors. then the incident happened a few months later

don't think there was anything similar going on with bouwmeester

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019
Insane how tv stations just goes to commercial when something happens.
Also see that in NFL broadcasts, "oh, looks like *insert name* is down and in some trouble, we will be right back after this message from burger king"
disgusting practice, and how about the new split screen commercials?
money and these commercials are now more important than the games and the players health, and the audience that cares about it
It was a normal TV timeout, there was already a stoppage in play before anyone knew what was going on. It’s not like they saw what was happening and cut to commercial.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I hope Jay is alright.

Though I remember after when Peverly collapsed, he said that he wanted to continue playing hockey. Knowing Jay he's a warrior.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Hearing more details about what happened brought the memories of Celtics star Reggie Lewis come flooding back.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
This is eerily similar to Jiri Fischer’s situation a while back. I’ll never forget that game.

Also, not complaining I just found it interesting. When they played the rescheduled game the Preds started the game 1-0 because they were up when it happened. They scored on the first shot and had 2 goals on 1 shot.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
My best guess would be Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy... It's one of the more common causes of sudden cardiac death, and is particular potent in Athletes. I hope I am wrong because it's a life long condition and it would probably spell the end of his hockey career.

"Less scary things" that could have gone wrong cardiac-wise would be an aberrant/accessory conduction pathway. Those can often be treated once identified depending on what is causing the electric issues.

Sending my best wishes for the man regardless of what is wrong.

While possible that it could be Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, JBo is a career ironman, has been reported into countless physical exams over his career. Obviously he has had EKGs and probably an echo done in the past just by being an athlete and if "irregular heartbeat" was reported in his career before, likely a conduction problem instead of a structural problem like HOCM. Would probably have had symptoms of fatigue with exertion long before this event if it was HOCM. EKG changes more consistent with HOCM would have been reported during his annual physicals. Also HOCM generally presents earlier in an athlete's career than 36.

Just my two cents, I'd go with conduction abnormality over HOCM. Still, we won't know until the results come out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad