Ducks-Blues game postponed for medical emergency involving Jay Bouwmeester

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Was there anything diagnosed previously with JBow ? After the trade Stars doctors diagnosed the heart issue for Peverley and said it could become an issue and sure enough in the 2013-14 season it did. He had to be reanimated since his heart stopped

Nothing. He had the leg injury during the 14-15 season but otherwise he has never had any kind of health issues.
In fact, despite his age he is probably the healthiest and best conditioned player on the team.

Reactions: Bluenatic

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Hopefully it's just a TJ Brodie type of thing or he was just sick like Neuvirth.

Here's hoping for a quick & full recovery for Jay.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I know people like to flex their medical knowledge so that everyone knows they're a medical professional, but can people stop speculating what it could be or what "it looked like?" Anybody worried about what it is, instead of how he is, should probably just switch over to another hockey game and not comment.

They are giving an educated guess on what happened. Its speculation. If you dont like it simply get off this thread or stop complaining. "What it is" and "How he is" coordinate with each other, so if anyone experienced with dealing with situations like these and sees correlations I dont see a problem with them speaking their mind on it. Especially if it puts some at ease.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The medical teams that are employed by NHL teams are generally excellent doctors. I know the Wings doctor explained checking the pulse and all the procedures before he began CPR on Fischer, which yes in person was horrifying once you realized what was happening at the bench. But they went through the protocol first in that instance.

I mean like both of you're saying with a medical background I hope it is the more minor of the possible causes. I just wouldn't assume the first responders at the Honda Center didn't get that right though. In fact I would be kind of surprised if they did something unnecessary, teams run these drills and go through this with their medical personnel. It is tough sometimes to get a pulse with the gear on. In Fischer case they also knew of the pre-existing heart condition same with Peverley I believe.

I didn't see anything in the video that represented CPR but again it sounds like some did. I get the optimism of hopefully something else, but I just would make clear the guys responding to that scene are well versed as well in the medical procedures and protocols.
I’ve seen doctors in the ER get it wrong. Doctors in their offices get it wrong. Medics and EMT’s get it wrong. I’m not saying either way, I’m saying it can be deceptive if CPR was done. If he woke up from just CPR and was awake and alert ten minutes later than it’s doubtful he lost pulses (obviously a very good thing). If an AED or cardiac monitor from the staff shocked him then obviously it was an arrhythmia and that’s horrifying for JBo and likely career ending.

Of course it’s all speculation, but assuming staff could never be unsure of pulse status when jammed in the corner of the bench or the hallway in the middle of an NHL game and just started compressions (if they happened) is off a bit. It absolutely happens at all levels, including the very highest. Smartest thing to do if there’s even a second of hesitation or being unsure.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
The Pronger situation is different. Much different. Equally as scary, but it's different.

Wouldn't the demands of all sports be growing exponentially? This seems frequent in hockey, much more so then in Soccer, NFL, NBA.

The average NFL game only has about 11 minutes of actual football playing. Assuming your team has the ball 50% of the time that is only 5.5 mins of playing. Add to that the players that are doing the most 'activity' sub out regularly.

NBA and Soccer players being able to play the majority or all of a game would indicate the sport is not that demanding. They are all in better shape than i am, but both sports have significant opportunity to recover while play is going on.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm not as versed in those sports. But I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Reggie Lewis and Zeke Upshaw both passed away unfortunately in terms of Basketball. Upshaw was in 2018 with the Grand Rapids Drive, I believe there is ongoing litigation over the lack of AED units and care on site. I think there was one in the EPL recently as well in terms of a player collapse, I think it has happened in soccer more frequently but those are a couple I can think of.

Obviously hoping JayBo is in the best possible place given this and it isn't as dire as some of these we have seen in sport.

I would put this out there though, if your place of work doesn't have an AED unit and a few people trained to use them it is something worth discussing. It saves lives, it could be yours, it could be your co-workers, it could be somebody just passing through. But in this day and age it is something you should bring up if they don't have them. It is important and speaking up on it is something I would encourage everyone to do as well as knowing how to use them.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The Pronger situation is different. Much different. Equally as scary, but it's different.
That was a direct consequence of being hit by the puck though.. not unlike boxers who go down pretty quickly after a well-placed liver shot.
Right, and I pointed that out when saying that we've seen that kind of event happen pre-2005.

Except, to follow on the boxing example, we could probably put together a list of boxers who've been dropped from a well-placed liver shot; the list of NHL players who've taken a puck to the chest and had a cardiac event follow from it can be tallied on one hand with fingers left over.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Very good decision to postpone the game. Hope Jay is ok.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
upload_2020-2-11_22-38-24.png

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Wow. I am glad it sounds like he is doing okay, or at least is alert. Very scary. It's an unfortunate thing to happen, but if it had to happen, he is lucky it happened next to a shit ton of awesome medical personnel.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Chris Pronger, 1998, playoffs vs. Detroit. Happened during play; got hit in the chest, caused his heart to go irregular and he wobbled and went down.

See Pronger above. Could be we largely didn't see anything pre-2005 because the game is so much more physically demanding than it used to be, and that stress has a better chance of taxing a player's body to the point it triggers something like this. Could be something environmental. Could all be just random chance and this is some 1-in-10,000 set of events. Don't know.

I'm just throwing this out there as purely a possibility (not because I actually believe in it), but I wonder if the carbon monoxide from the ice rinks is partly to blame? I know it's been pointed out as an issue a few times in the past.

The Air We Breathe: Rink Air Quality | USA Hockey Magazine

Reactions: egelband

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The various possible causes are too vast to speculate, everything from a thyroid issue to anxiety.
Well, doubtful it's anxiety, but otherwise you're right - it could be anything.

Suggestion for everyone: let's all let actual doctors be actual doctors and figure it out, not play "I'm not a doctor, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night" or "I've watched every episode of House, E.R., St. Elsewhere, Trapper John M.D. and General Hospital so I'm really well-versed in all things medicine" amateur medical professional like people are want to do. Trained professionals will figure out what happened as best they can, we'll get details that get released.

Reactions: egelband

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
This is Jiri Fischer all over again.

Only exception being this happened at the end of Bouwmeester's career while Fischer was still approaching his prime.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I just about passed out a few months ago. Chest pains, racing pulse, the whole nine yards. Turns out it was just from over-exerting myself without eating enough, then anxiety (I thought I was having a heart attack) that triggered some really bad heartburn. Hopefully Bouwmeester just had a syncopal episode like I did and it wasn't actually anything serious, but this is always a scary thing to see.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Suggestion for everyone: let's all let actual doctors be actual doctors and figure it out, not play "I'm not a doctor, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night" or "I've watched every episode of House, E.R., St. Elsewhere, Trapper John M.D. and General Hospital so I'm really well-versed in all things medicine" amateur medical professional like people are want to do. Trained professionals will figure out what happened as best they can, we'll get details that get released.
That’s funny, I literally got my license from a holiday inn.

Some of these other people may actually be trained professionals though. Their opinions may be worth something.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I know it’s terrible no matter what but maybe was blessing that it happened during the game. Imagine if it happened if he was at home or even home alone.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

TarasenkosForearm

Oct 21, 2017

Prolonged periods of anxiety, however, may cause heart problems. Anxiety can cause Tachycardia, or rapid heart rate. While anxiety doesn't cause hypertension, it can cause high blood pressure..doubtful it is the case, but as I said, you cannot rule out anything until they run tests.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I know it’s terrible no matter what but maybe was blessing that it happened during the game. Imagine if it happened if he was at home or even home alone.

That is what Jiri Fischer always says when they interview him on the subject. He actually had two more events in the weeks after, hopefully that isn't the case with JayBo. The report that paddles were used is similar to Fischer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad