Ducks-Blues game postponed for medical emergency involving Jay Bouwmeester

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Sadly his career is done .

Had it been atrial fibrillation he could have an ablasion and it would be repaired .

But the ICD means he likely was in ventricular fibrillation or ventricular tachycardia both which are very dangerous .

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and FinPanda

Avalanche1945

Jan 4, 2018
Isn't it weird it's athletes who get cardiac arrests at relatively young age?

It's not common but certainly not unheard of. Young people suddenly go into cardiac arrest for a number of reasons with the common denominator being they have something that makes their heart more prone to an irregular heartbeat. Sometimes you can identify a person at risk for it (like Steve Konowalchuk who retired after it was discovered he has long QT syndrome) and sometimes you cant. Either way, I agree with what others have said - he should (and I'm sure will) retire.

(source - I'm an ER doctor)

Reactions: Nunymare

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Gotta think he hangs 'em up after this, right?

Glad to hear he's on the mend, at least, but I figure he'll follow the same footsteps as Fischer and Peverley and call it a career.
Yeah you can't play contact sports with this device but he'll live a normal life after this, I think there was a good chance he was done after this year anyways.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Sometimes you can identify a person at risk for it (like Steve Konowalchuk who retired after it was discovered he has long QT syndrome) and sometimes you cant.

(source - I'm an ER doctor)

Very interesting to know that, someone in my family has this - was only discovered when they had a cardiac arrest (and survived!).
You don't hear much about this syndrome and was not aware Konowalchuk had it.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
A guy plays 1300 NHL games with no issues and out of no-where collapses and almost dies on the bench. Only to figure out he has a condition that requires a device be put inside of his body to make sure his heart beats normally for the rest of his life. Scary. The thought of having a device like that inside of me is making my knees weak.

Life changes in an instant, he was a ticking time-bomb for so long. Crazy

Bond

May 10, 2012
A guy plays 1300 NHL games with no issues and out of no-where collapses and almost dies on the bench. Only to figure out he has a condition that requires a device be put inside of his body to make sure his heart beats normally for the rest of his life. Scary. The thought of having a device like that inside of me is making my knees weak.

Life changes in an instant, he was a ticking time-bomb for so long. Crazy
No kidding, good thing it happened in an NHL rink and not at home or something

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Not to mention they all watched him getting CPR and he may not have had a heart beat. That’s a little different than a guy who is unconscious but still breathing and heart beating.

this is the scariest part. When I read he needed to be “revived” that was scary.

I just now read he had a procedure with a device implanted in his heart to regulate his heart beat. Hopefully he can live a normal life outside of hockey. I’m not familiar with the procedure or the condition he has.

Also, I have a hockey related question. If and when they continue the game, will the Blues have to ice the same roster down a man? In the grand scheme of things I know this doesn’t matter but I was just curious of the rules. Thank you.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Man I feel old.

I used to play street hockey with him when we were kids, and I was 5 years older than him.

Nice to see he's doing well. Was a good kid.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
Will all player stats be retained? Barbashev's and Henrique's goal?

Based on Peverly game, yes. Now please trade Henrique to Blues and have him score a goal in the postponed game making him the first player to score a goal for both teams in one game.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Man, good luck to Bouwmeester. Tremendous response by his teammates to alert emergency response teams, who then did a great job to keep Bou alive. He's had a great career. It's weird to see such fit athletes go down like that.

Glad to hear he's back home.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Will all player stats be retained? Barbashev's and Henrique's goal?

Yes they will count, but for some reason will not count until this game is played.

So right now, they don't have those stats. But they will in March.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad