Ducks-Blues game postponed for medical emergency involving Jay Bouwmeester

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
So scary.

I'm 5 years older than JayBo, but I used to play street hockey with him when he was a kid (he was worlds better than we were).

Really hard to watch that go down. Glad to hear he's responsive.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Some of these other people may actually be trained professionals though. Their opinions may be worth something.
I feel like this is the start of a reach that ends up going down the road through the thicket and into the deep, deep, deep woods. No one here was at the bench, in the ambulance, etc. so no one here knows exactly what was going on and so anything said is still speculation no matter what someone's background is.

But, if that's where people want to take this, go for it. I'm only one person, I'm just providing a suggestion, everyone can take it or leave it as they see fit.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I know it’s terrible no matter what but maybe was blessing that it happened during the game. Imagine if it happened if he was at home or even home alone.

More so it's better that medical attention is available at a moments notice in sports. This is what saved Reggie Brown's life but ended his career in 1997 with the Detroit Lions. Happened in the game where Barry Sanders eclipsed 2000 yards as well.

On call medics are certainly better equipped in North America than other countries. But there were still instances like Hank Gathers, Dale Earnhardt and Reggie Lewis where it just wasn't fast enough or frankly didn't matter.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Prolonged periods of anxiety, however, may cause heart problems. Anxiety can cause Tachycardia, or rapid heart rate. While anxiety doesn't cause hypertension, it can cause high blood pressure..doubtful it is the case, but as I said, you cannot rule out anything until they run tests.
This is exactly the problem with attempting to have discussions in 2020: people can't just say "well, I accept your viewpoint even if I disagree." They have to double, triple, umpteen down on something and demand to be right.

So, congrats TF - you're clearly more invested in this than I am, so you win.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I feel like this is the start of a reach that ends up going down the road through the thicket and into the deep, deep, deep woods. No one here was at the bench, in the ambulance, etc. so no one here knows exactly what was going on and so anything said is still speculation no matter what someone's background is.

But, if that's where people want to take this, go for it. I'm only one person, I'm just providing a suggestion, everyone can take it or leave it as they see fit.
Absolutely. The video shows someone doing compressions, and then they put the patches on. We know that. Another report states the patches were used, but that’s speculation. People have done compressions when they weren’t sure of pulses, that’s a fact. If he was shocked then he was in an arrhythmia, that’s not speculation. If he wasn’t shocked then it’s up for grabs. No one is going off the deep end saying what’s happened from a half assed video. It’s all right there.

We will find out more as we go along, and thankfully he’s awake and seemingly alert. This is the holy shit JBo dropped and we hope he’s ok thread. It’s ok to talk about it here.

StlBill

Jul 1, 2018
This Blues fan just hopes Jaybo is ok. Forget hockey, this is a young extremely healthy guy with his whole life ahead of him. It’s the Dad’s trip, so his old man will be by his side which is great. This just shows how hockey is better than all other sports. The cancellation of the game and the brotherhood/care shown by the Ducks was incredible. Let’s hope for a positive update.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Just bc someone is awake and on the way to the hospital doesnt mean they are "good". A family member collapsed at work and was rushed to the hopsital while awake. The next day he was declared brain dead

I'm not a race car fan by any stretch but somehow ended up watching the last day of Dale Earnhardt's life on you tube. An opposing driver stated he knew Earnhardt was in rough shape, if not dead. Yet I could have swore I saw footage of him walking to the ambulance, with assistance, but cognitive enough to acknowledge the crowd.

By the time he arrived at the hospital like 5 minutes later he was officially dead.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Hopefully, he gets through this and can resume his hockey career. Pretty scary stuff if they had to bring out the defibrillator.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
This Blues fan just hopes Jaybo is ok. Forget hockey, this is a young extremely healthy guy with his whole life ahead of him. It’s the Dad’s trip, so his old man will be by his side which is great. This just shows how hockey is better than all other sports. The cancellation of the game and the brotherhood/care shown by the Ducks was incredible. Let’s hope for a positive update.

Oh Jesus Christ..

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Feels like a lot of weird medical emergencies this year happening around the NHL?
Didn't Hamilton or Hanifin have something similar?

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
really scary, hope all turns out well for him

maybe good his dad was there? of course not something you want as a parent to see happen, but he'd want to get there asap, and hopefully having that presence helps jay, too

best wishes to everyone, and i'm really glad they called that game instead of trying to press on.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I always get flashbacks to Cherepanov.

JBo is still really young at 36. Who knows what it was, but having to use the defibrillator is always serious. Glad it sounds like he's alert. Here's to hoping for a full recovery.

SealsFan4Life

May 22, 2019
Ontario, CA

here is a dual feed.
first is Anaheim feed.
4:38 STL feed. really scary.

So when they resume this game on a different day is it just gonna be 2 periods with added 7:50 added ?
Not very often do we get postponed games so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
SOOO crazy/scary...not to add speculation but if they were doing chest comps its because he had no pulse and the defib being used would be for a severe cardiac incident....hope they can find out the cause and he can live a normal life, hockey is a very very distant 2nd important right now, and having medical personel/AED within seconds is the main factor in these events.......also, this is why it is MANDATORY to have ambulance/medics on site at ALL TIMES, besides the obvious of this game being postponed, the game can not start again until there is another ambulance/medic on site....

when i first heard/saw this and that it was JBO all i could think of was, nicest guy and the iron man streak....so crazy and a wake up that you never what can happen any given second to those you least expect...praying for him to be ok and for him to have answers.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Panger mentioned defibrillators are all over the rink or something like that. Seeing him collapse and what looked like CPR behind the boards makes me think he had a heart attack. Being awake and alert is a good sign.

Once Cherepanov died they were flying up in pretty much every hockey arena, including locals.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Good news from Blues: "With 7:50 remaining in the first period of our game tonight, Jay Bouwmeester suffered a cardiac episode and collapsed on our bench after completing his shift. Thankfully, with the quick response of our medical trainers, Anaheim medical trainers and their team physicians, they were able to stabilize Jay. He was alert and moving all of his extremities as he was transported to UC Irvine Medical Center. Currently, Jay is conscious and alert as he undergoes further testing by Anaheim's physicians. We will update Jay's condition on Wednesday morning."

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
So when they resume this game on a different day is it just gonna be 2 periods with added 7:50 added ?
Not very often do we get postponed games so sorry if this is a dumb question.

I would assume they'd start from scratch, though with all stats from tonight remaining intact (so the rescheduled game would start 1-1 with goals by Barbashev for STL and Henrique for ANA). That's what was done after the Fischer and Peverley incidents.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017

St. Louis Blues President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Doug Armstrong has released the following statement regarding Blues defenseman Jay Bouwmeester:

"With 7:50 remaining in the first period of our game tonight, Jay Bouwmeester suffered a cardiac episode and collapsed on our bench after completing his shift. Thankfully, with the quick response of our medical trainers, Anaheim medical trainers and their team physicians, they were able to stabilize Jay. He was alert and moving all of his extremities as he was transported to UC Irvine Medical Center. Currently, Jay is conscious and alert as he undergoes further testing by Anaheim's physicians. We will update Jay's condition on Wednesday morning."

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
I'm not a race car fan by any stretch but somehow ended up watching the last day of Dale Earnhardt's life on you tube. An opposing driver stated he knew Earnhardt was in rough shape, if not dead. Yet I could have swore I saw footage of him walking to the ambulance, with assistance, but cognitive enough to acknowledge the crowd.

By the time he arrived at the hospital like 5 minutes later he was officially dead.

This is false. Earnhardt was dead right away. It was Ken Schrader who was the one that ran over to the car and saw right away he was lifeless. It was an awful tragedy. The only silver lining is it made nascar change many things with the safety of the cars and walls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad