Ducks-Blues game postponed for medical emergency involving Jay Bouwmeester

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Hopefully just a simple syncopal episode.

Although chest compressions indicate a cardiac arrest.

(However often times in stressfull situations like a syncope even first responders unnecessarily give CPR, I've seen it as I'm a Paramedic )

The fact he was concious and alert rather quickly with no defibrillation indicates to me that it was unlikely cardiac arrest

Again I hope it's simply a syncopal episode and nothing cardiac
Also a medic and was thinking the same thing. I often get called to arrests where people did cpr on someone who was highly likely to still have pulses but everyone being so stressed couldn’t find one and just started compressions.

Most times just a simple syncopal episode (passed out) caused by dehydration/electrolyte (or a hundred other reasons) imbalance. Hoping it’s that instead of a rhythm he needed to be shocked out of. That could be a career ender. He’s in great hands I’m sure.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Also a medic and was thinking the same thing. I often get called to arrests where people did cpr on someone who was highly likely to still have pulses but everyone being so stressed couldn’t find one and just started compressions.

Most times just a simple syncopal episode caused by dehydration/electrolyte (or a hundred other reasons) imbalance. Hoping it’s that instead of a rhythm he needed to be shocked out of. That could be a career ender. He’s in great hands I’m sure.

Agreed . Could be simple hypotension leading to hypoxia and thus the temporary loss of conciousness.

Thoughts and prayers with anyone affected.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I remember Rich Peverley collapsed on the bench and had to retire, hopefully this is nothing and ends with a better result.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
I know people like to flex their medical knowledge so that everyone knows they're a medical professional, but can people stop speculating what it could be or what "it looked like?" Anybody worried about what it is, instead of how he is, should probably just switch over to another hockey game and not comment.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Can we stop guessing what might have happened? There are many possibilities, both benign and severe.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
How come this seems to be so prevalent today?

Fischer, Cherepanov, Pavelec, Peverley, now Bouwmeester.. did these things happen pre-2000 and I've just never heard of it?

Not a doctor but I suspect hockey might expose underlying heart conditions more than other sports and activities in life because of how stop and start, intense then rest it is.

Fischer, Peverly and Chereapanov all collapsed due to underlying heart conditions.

Pavelec and Neuvirth collapsed due to fainting spells.

Well have to wait and see what diagnosis is for Boumeester.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002

Fischer, Cherepanov, Pavelec, Peverley, now Bouwmeester.. did these things happen pre-2000 and I've just never heard of it?
Chris Pronger, 1998, playoffs vs. Detroit. Happened during play; got hit in the chest, caused his heart to go irregular and he wobbled and went down.

You wouldn't know what back in the day? If someone collapsed on the ice/bench area? I'm sure you would.

5 in the last 14 years? But nothing from 1970-2005?
See Pronger above. Could be we largely didn't see anything pre-2005 because the game is so much more physically demanding than it used to be, and that stress has a better chance of taxing a player's body to the point it triggers something like this. Could be something environmental. Could all be just random chance and this is some 1-in-10,000 set of events. Don't know.

Reactions: rumrokh

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Most times just a simple syncopal episode (passed out) caused by dehydration/electrolyte (or a hundred other reasons) imbalance. Hoping it’s that instead of a rhythm he needed to be shocked out of. That could be a career ender. He’s in great hands I’m sure.

The medical teams that are employed by NHL teams are generally excellent doctors. I know the Wings doctor explained checking the pulse and all the procedures before he began CPR on Fischer, which yes in person was horrifying once you realized what was happening at the bench. But they went through the protocol first in that instance.

I mean like both of you're saying with a medical background I hope it is the more minor of the possible causes. I just wouldn't assume the first responders at the Honda Center didn't get that right though. In fact I would be kind of surprised if they did something unnecessary, teams run these drills and go through this with their medical personnel. It is tough sometimes to get a pulse with the gear on. In Fischer case they also knew of the pre-existing heart condition same with Peverley I believe.

I didn't see anything in the video that represented CPR but again it sounds like some did. I get the optimism of hopefully something else, but I just would make clear the guys responding to that scene are well versed as well in the medical procedures and protocols.

TarasenkosForearm

Oct 21, 2017
Chris Pronger, 1998, playoffs vs. Detroit. Happened during play; got hit in the chest, caused his heart to go irregular and he wobbled and went down.

See Pronger above. Could be we largely didn't see anything pre-2005 because the game is so much more physically demanding than it used to be, and that stress has a better chance of taxing a player's body to the point it triggers something like this. Could be something environmental. Could all be just random chance and this is some 1-in-10,000 set of events. Don't know.
Could be stress related, there is no way to tell.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Not a doctor but I suspect hockey might expose underlying heart conditions more than other sports and activities in life because of how stop and start, intense then rest it is.

Fischer, Peverly and Chereapanov all collapsed due to underlying heart conditions.

Pavelec and Neuvirth collapsed due to fainting spells.

Well have to wait and see what diagnosis is for Boumeester.

Neuvirth was actually sick & wasn't supposed to play.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

Long story short - probably yes. You've cited five examples that have occurred over the space of 15 years, across the world. It's not common at all.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017

The Pronger situation is different. Much different. Equally as scary, but it's different.

Wouldn't the demands of all sports be growing exponentially? This seems frequent in hockey, much more so then in Soccer, NFL, NBA.

Reactions: Reality Check

TarasenkosForearm

Oct 21, 2017
The Pronger situation is different. Much different. Equally as scary, but it's different.

Wouldn't the demands of all sports be growing exponentially? This seems frequent in hockey, much more so then in Soccer, NFL, NBA.
Plenty of soccer players have collapsed.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006

That was a direct consequence of being hit by the puck though.. not unlike boxers who go down pretty quickly after a well-placed liver shot.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I almost passed out from extreme dehydration after greatly exerting myself once in the Army. Hopefully it's that benign. He's the only guy I've ever bought a jersey of specifically.

exact reference I made earlier too in the same setting. It happens very often. Combine exertion with a possible flu and it happens quite frequently. Usually you wake back up and are extremely drained until you get some IV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad