Ducks-Blues game postponed for medical emergency involving Jay Bouwmeester

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
You just wouldn't know back in the day. A lot of varying conditions can cause this. I take medication that can have the effect...it's why it is bad to speculate

You wouldn't know what back in the day? If someone collapsed on the ice/bench area? I'm sure you would.

5 in the last 14 years? But nothing from 1970-2005?

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This also happens to be the dads trip for the blues. I believe his dad was in the box.

Honestly assuming he is healthy and awake, I would be kind of relieved that my Dad is there and can communicate with the rest of my family. To me again assuming health having family in the building on a road trip should be something positive for JayBo in this situation I would think. You know if he is alright the first people he is thinking about is his family as he comes back from the episode or at least that is how Jiri Fischer described it with it being better that it happened in Detroit, but that they were trying to communicate back to the Czech Republic right away.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Panger mentioned defibrillators are all over the rink or something like that. Seeing him collapse and what looked like CPR behind the boards makes me think he had a heart attack. Being awake and alert is a good sign.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Hopefully just a simple syncopal episode.

Although chest compressions indicate a cardiac arrest.

(However often times in stressfull situations like a syncope even first responders unnecessarily give CPR, I've seen it as I'm a Paramedic )

The fact he was concious and alert rather quickly with no defibrillation indicates to me that it was unlikely cardiac arrest

Again I hope it's simply a syncopal episode and nothing cardiac

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
How come this seems to be so prevalent today?

Fischer, Cherepanov, Pavelec, Peverley, now Bouwmeester.. did these things happen pre-2000 and I've just never heard of it?
You're talking about five players over the span of like 15 years. I wouldn't consider that "prevalent." Also, not all of these are related. Pavelec fainted while Cherepanov had an actual heart attack due to an un-diagnosed heart condition. Don't forget about Sergei Zholtok, too.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Hoping for the best here!

Schedule wise, it looks like the 2 teams will either have to play this game tomorrow...or the Sunday right after the last day of the season (April 5th). The only West trip the Blues have left is when they are in Colorado for an afternoon game on that final Saturday so it would not be a long flight.

I thought the same thing. I’m guessing if we have good or decent news tonight they’ll try to play it tomorrow before the Blues have to go to Vegas.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
It looks a lot like he may be dealing with a flu or some illness and be hydrated. It’s happened to a lot of people I know during my time with the army. Especially when you wake up right away also similar falling motion when you don’t exactly loose all consciousness and drop down right away all at once

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Devils fan here ... was listening to the radio broadcast of the Anaheim feed and all I can say is it was a relief to hear after about 15 or 20 minutes of uncertainty that Bouwmeester was awake, alert and on his way to the hospital.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
When Bouwmeester was in Calgary he had the longest shift I've ever seen. Been watching this game since the early eighties. I'm sure it was over three minutes because he kept getting stuck on the ice during a PK and then in icings where our lineup had to stay on the ice. It was incredible. Time before the PK, the PK and then like a minute after. It was sickening. The jumbotron was showing him red as a beat and gasping for air almost falling over.

I hope he is okay. Please God!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->