Ducks-Blues game postponed for medical emergency involving Jay Bouwmeester

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Hope he makes a full recovery.

I started watching clips of this on youtube, and had to turn them off. It's scary stuff. Sounded like Pang thought he was a gonner. It would be so terrifying to be there in person. I've been in the crowd when a player was stretchered off, and it is a bit surreal.

I'm glad they just postponed. Tough for fans who paid to see a game, and only got part of a period. But hea;th and safety come first, and you can't expect players to perform when they may have just watched a friend die (as far as they knew at the time). Right call was made.

Get well soon, Boumeester!

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
*Assuming* the cause is Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, it's one of the more common heart defects we know of actually. It's not just hockey - athletes are particularly prone to the thickening of the heart muscle because they exercise so much they push their heart muscle more than an average person would. Eventually they reach the point in the disease progression that their need for oxygen exceeds the capacity of the heart to pump, and the heart panics and goes into an arrhythmia... often not a life sustaining one at that. It's less that the disease is becoming more common, and more-so that sports and athletes are becoming more public figures and our awareness of them is much higher.

There are actually a multitude of heart-related issues we are starting to learn more about in the past little while here that are related to other conditions. For example, Anxiety Attacks can sometimes actually be arrhythmia caused by accessory electrical pathways in the heart. Our treatment for Anxiety Attacks (medications) are actually contraindicated in these situations, so it's VERY interesting to see this getting missed so often. Another example is a unique genetic condition called "Brugada Syndrome" which is a disorder with your electrolyte channels within your heart. When an individual is healthy the heart generally operates normally even with this syndrome; however when the body is under stress or in particular is febrile the symptoms start to show up and people often going into a short arrhythmia - sometimes lethal. There is supporting research that shows this may actually be a (the) potential cause of SIDS: ie: the infant is laid down in bed and wrapped in warm clothing, or has a slight fever, and it fosters the conditions for the arrhythmia to develop.
You really really need to stop. I have no idea what your background is, but even if you have medical experience you have not seen the patient nor have you been given any information or test results. You saw what we saw.... a man collapse on a bench.

Stop playing internet doctor. Seriously. Stop it.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Scary stuff. Luckily they were able to act on it quickly.

Hoping for a full recovery. At least the silver lining is it's a good time for JayBo to hang em up, makes that cup even more special.

Reactions: DKH

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
You really really need to stop. I have no idea what your background is, but even if you have medical experience you have not seen the patient nor have you been given any information or test results. You saw what we saw.... a man collapse on a bench.

Stop playing internet doctor. Seriously. Stop it.
He disclaimed the post with the assumption, no need to be so defensive.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So when they resume this game on a different day is it just gonna be 2 periods with added 7:50 added ?
Not very often do we get postponed games so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Last time this happened they kept the score and played a shortened game. Will probably just start at Period 2 tied 1-1.
Not sure which "last time" you're referring to. When it happened with Peverley (which I think is the most recent such event during a game; Cunningham was pre-game), we just had a completely new game with three full periods, and the one goal that had been scored up to that point was credited at 0:00. (I understand the Fischer make-up game was handled the same way.) Curiously, the goal had been scored by Nathan Horton, and the make-up game occurred after he played his last ever NHL game due to injury, so he got credited for a goal in a game he never played in.

Regardless, very glad to hear JBo is stable and doing better. I wasn't in attendance for Peverley (it was a road game for the Jackets), but I was watching it live, and it was absolutely terrifying.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The man's health and career are in question. Having some internet expert "assume" is out of line. Way out of line.

And I'm not being defensive. I'm just calling bulls**t on this behavior.
Plenty of people with medical experience here, and it’s the JBo dropped thread and is thank god seemingly ok thread so it’s completely ok to talk about it. There’s a video that shows them doing compressions and it’s being said he was shocked so a lot of what’s being said isn’t as speculative as you think. There’s only so many arrhythmia’s that get electricity, and he being a young athlete can potentially narrow down the initial cause. If an AED shocked him it was ventricular tachycardia (vtach) or ventricular fibrillation (vfib) as those are the two arrhythmia AED’s shock. They both mean the heart still has electrical activity but it is disorganized so the heart is quivering instead of pumping and resetting it through electricity is the hopeful correction. These are both lethal if not immediately corrected.

If it was a paramedic or a doctor looking at a rhythm on a monitor and deciding to give electricity through a couple of different ways it could’ve been either of the above, or atrial fibrillation (afib) with rapid ventricular response (fast afib) or Supra ventricular tachycardia (SVT) which can both potentially be treated with meds and procedures. These seem unlikely given presumably skilled folks decided he needed CPR, which is rare with these rhythms. Atrial Flutter is also a shockable rhythm that an AED would not shock. It’s strongly likely to be one if the first two. What the person you’re criticizing is saying is wondering how JBo deteriorated to one of these rhythms in the first place.

Last edited:

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Great job by trainers of both teams, the doctor who literally ran to help and to the EMS folks.

I love that hockey players really care for each other and you could see that with the Ducks players who were very concerned and helped out.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Hopes and blessings to Jay that he’ll be okay even if he has played his last game. As a Stars fan it’s eerily similar to Peverley incident; he played his last game but is doing well afterwards.

As Jacob posted earlier I don’t have a problem with people voicing their reasonings of a possible cause. Posts were from some in the military, nurse/medics and others who’ve had, or family/friends, issues themselves. No harm in giving their opinion about the situation.

This is “social media” and if it bothers you then quit reading.

Last edited:

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
Insane how tv stations just goes to commercial when something happens.
Also see that in NFL broadcasts, "oh, looks like *insert name* is down and in some trouble, we will be right back after this message from burger king"
disgusting practice, and how about the new split screen commercials?
money and these commercials are now more important than the games and the players health, and the audience that cares about it

I didn't watch the game live, but the video posted looked like the incident happened during a TV timeout and the coverage returned with all the players on the ice and Jay being worked on

Chet Manly

Feb 25, 2015
Saint Louis
If you watch the clip, there's an Anaheim fan, just to the right of the bench, doing the "Chest compression" motion, pretty immediately.

And Watch Parayko on the bench. He's acting like he's watching someone die right in front of his eyes. And the sudden reaction of everyone rushing over... They must have heard Bo catch his breath, or heard a medical staffer say they got a pulse. Either way, pretty scary stuff for everyone.... Especially that 10 year old in the stands. Bet his mom didn't think they'd be having that conversation on the way home last night....

Can't thank Honda Center's medical staff enough. Great work by the doctors.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
So, from these pages, we have possible:
Heart attack
Irregular heartbeat
Ventricular tachycardia
Ventricular fibrillation
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
Dehydration
Anxiety
Trauma

Did I miss anything from the docs at HFMed?

abe jr

Jun 8, 2004
technically a defib doesn't restart a heart.

glad to hear he is doing better.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Plenty of people with medical experience here, and it’s the JBo dropped thread and is thank god seemingly ok thread so it’s completely ok to talk about it. There’s a video that shows them doing compressions and it’s being said he was shocked so a lot of what’s being said isn’t as speculative as you think. There’s only so many arrhythmia’s that get electricity, and he being a young athlete can potentially narrow down the initial cause. If an AED shocked him it was ventricular tachycardia (vtach) or ventricular fibrillation (vfib) as those are the two arrhythmia AED’s shock. They both mean the heart still has electrical activity but it is disorganized so the heart is quivering instead of pumping and resetting it through electricity is the hopeful correction. These are both lethal if not immediately corrected.

If it was a paramedic or a doctor looking at a rhythm on a monitor and deciding to give electricity through a couple of different ways it could’ve been either of the above, or atrial fibrillation (afib) with rapid ventricular response (fast afib) or Supra ventricular tachycardia (SVT) which can both potentially be treated with meds and procedures. These seem unlikely given presumably skilled folks decided he needed CPR, which is rare with these rhythms. Atrial Flutter is also a shockable rhythm that an AED would not shock. It’s strongly likely to be one if the first two. What the person you’re criticizing is saying is wondering how JBo deteriorated to one of these rhythms in the first place.

With all due respect, you know essentially nothing about what happened or the person it happened to. Nothing. You have no medical history, you have no familial history, you have no blood work, you have no imaging, you have no enzyme levels, you have no toxicology, no vitals, nothing. You have a video of a guy collapsing and an assumption about EXACTLY what EMT's may or may not have been doing to the person who collapsed. Not even audio.

And yet the "person I was criticizing" was wondering how JBo deteriorated into one of those rhythms in the first place. A rhythm you or he have no idea he was or is in.

Glad the medicine thing is so easy. God forbid any of you have a heart event. Make sure you keep a video handy though, you can just send a gif to your doctor and they'll diagnose and fix you up virtually.

Yes this is a message board. And yes, you can guess. But why? So someone can be the first to "make the "call". I diagnosed it right, I diagnosed it right.....This place........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->