Speculation: Duchene trade looking back

Status
Not open for further replies.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
If Karlsson leaves I see us in the 55-65 point range, we're getting pantsed.
If Karlsson is back but we move Duchene to make room for Tavares, we'll be in the mix for the playoffs...maybe.
However, it looks like Eugene wants us at the cap floor, so 70ish to low 80s points, lower if Anderson leaves and we have to run with Condon/Backup.

Wait, did you just suggest that the Sens will sign Tavares??

Reactions: Hennessy

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Oh dont be that way ,learn from you mistakes dude....Never count out any team ,and never ridicule another,s opinion...
I didn't ridicule anyone. I simply stated that I think the Sens will finish with less then 85 points assuming Karlsson stays. If he gets traded 75 points is the new ceiling.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
How do you think Ottawa can fit in the Stone/Duchene/Karlsson trio for what they will get on their new contracts at a 68 million dollar cap? Genuine question. I’ve been looking at the Sens cap situation very closely and I don’t see how they can do it when Karlsson is going to want 11 and Duchene/Stone should get 8. The Sens getting Boedker to me signaled that Karlsson was likely leaving, as the Sens really needed all of the cap space they could get in a Hoffman trade. Boedkers 3 million isn’t a deal breaker or anything, but I would think if they were serious about keeping the trio they would have tried to trade Hoffman for pure futures (which was obviously doable considering the Hoffman to Florida trade).
Meh,EM is a nutter we all know this...But we also know is he likes money and will pay up to keep the best of his talent ..Everybody seems to want the fit the EK is gonzo for sure mantra here..But every move that has been done and the cone of silence coming from our management and EK could just as easily be taken as us doing the complete opposite,and resigning our captain

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I didn't ridicule anyone. I simply stated that I think the Sens will finish with less then 85 points assuming Karlsson stays. If he gets traded 75 points is the new ceiling.
I have triggered you ,as you have recently brought my name up in a recent post....Is it because I was right about what i said to you last time we spoke about where Ottawa may or may not finish???

You were pretty dead set on how FLD was a near contender,and I warned you about how Ottawa and MTL could rebound from injury riddled seasons and knock the Cats down a few points....We all know what happened dont we??Yet you seek me out after my team has had a terrible seasons,and try and bait me ...Come on dude

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I have triggered you ,as you have recently brought my name up in a recent post....Is it because I was right about what i said to you last time we spoke about where Ottawa may or may not finish???

You were pretty dead set on how FLD was a near contender,and I warned you about how Ottawa and MTL could rebound from injury riddled seasons and knock the Cats down a few points....We all know what happened dont we??Yet you seek me out after my team has had a terrible seasons,and try and bait me ...Come on dude
and we talked about it after last season as well. I mentioned how the panthers had a ton of injuries. you dismissed it. Then this year you use the injury excuse again for the Senators. I didn't run then, and I'm not running now.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
and we talked about it after last season as well. I mentioned how the panthers had a ton of injuries. you dismissed it. Then this year you use the injury excuse again for the Senators. I didn't run then, and I'm not running now.
And Ottawa didnt have them??Stone played less than 60 games as did Ryan EK was still on one leg,That just the top end...But again you seem to think FLD is the only one that gets to use the injury card,without it being called an excuse....Please let me know when its ok if Ottawa get the same benefit from you and maybe ill do the same

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Meh,EM is a nutter we all know this...But we also know is he likes money and will pay up to keep the best of his talent ..Everybody seems to want the fit the EK is gonzo for sure mantra here..But every move that has been done and the cone of silence coming from our management and EK could just as easily be taken as us doing the complete opposite,and resigning our captain
So you think he will increase the amount he’s willing to spend by a ton of money? Duchene/Stone at 8, Karlsson at 11, Ryan at 7.5, Gaborik (if not bought out) at 4.875, Anderson at 4.75, Boedker at 3, Condon at 2.4, Ceci at around 4.5, Smith at 3.25, Pageau at 3.1, and Dzingel soon needing a moderate bump. Those 11 players account for 60.275 on a projected 68 million dollar cap and the Sens would still have so many holes to fill. Even with losing all 3 of Ceci/Pageau/Smith for only futures (unlikely) it’s going to be very hard to fit the trio in. Even then, you would be losing Hoffman/Ceci/Pageau/Smith (all good players) off of a roster that just finished 2nd last in the league. The only way without jettisoning a large percentage of your roster is if Melnyk increases his budget by a good 7-10 million dollars, and he’s not going to do that. I don’t think the money issue is something you can just dig your head in the sand about and shrug the shoulders, it’s a very serious issue and it’s by far the biggest reason Karlsson might be traded.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
And Ottawa didnt have them??Stone played less than 60 games as did Ryan EK was still on one leg,That just the top end...But again you seem to think FLD is the only one that gets to use the injury card,without it being called an excuse....Please let me know when its ok if Ottawa get the same benefit from you and maybe ill do the same
lmao. I didn't say injuries weren't an excuse. You were the one proclaiming victory because the Sens made the playoffs over the Panthers despite the Panthers being decimated by injuries last year. You are the one saying the Sens are health away from being a playoff team when pretty much everyone else sees them as a bottom 10 team next year.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So you think he will increase the amount he’s willing to spend by a ton of money? Duchene/Stone at 8, Karlsson at 11, Ryan at 7.5, Gaborik (if not bought out) at 4.875, Anderson at 4.75, Boedker at 3, Condon at 2.4, Ceci at around 4.5, Smith at 3.25, Pageau at 3.1, and Dzingel soon needing a moderate bump. Those 11 players account for 60.275 on a projected 68 million dollar cap and the Sens would still have so many holes to fill. Even with losing all 3 of Ceci/Pageau/Smith for only futures (unlikely) it’s going to be very hard to fit the trio in. Even then, you would be losing Hoffman/Ceci/Pageau/Smith (all good players) off of a roster that just finished 2nd last in the league. The only way without jettisoning a large percentage of your roster is if Melnyk increases his budget by a good 7-10 million dollars, and he’s not going to do that. I don’t think the money issue is something you can just dig your head in the sand about and shrug the shoulders, it’s a very serious issue and it’s by far the biggest reason Karlsson might be traded.
We usually move the budget up as the cap goes up...This way EM doesnt go into the assistance plan and has to open his books to the nhl...And he can continue to cry poor to us fans ...Lol sounds like a joke,but sadly its the truth

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
lmao. I didn't say injuries weren't an excuse. You were the one proclaiming victory because the Sens made the playoffs over the Panthers despite the Panthers being decimated by injuries last year. You are the one saying the Sens are health away from being a playoff team when pretty much everyone else sees them as a bottom 10 team next year.
You just said it in your post,and I repeat Ottawa was a injured team last season...Our best two players in Stone and EK were not healthy all season long ,take the equivilent off any team and they are going to suffer..That just the tip of the issues we faced

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I didnt say excuse....Fld had injuries so its ok ...Ottawa has the same and its an excuse,please dude

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I didnt say excuse....Fld had injuries so its ok ...Ottawa has the same and its an excuse,please dude
cool. like I said, if EK stays, I still see the Sens struggling to hit 85 points. Most people agree with me. Feel free to tag me if I'm wrong.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
cool. like I said, if EK stays, I still see the Sens struggling to hit 85 points. Most people agree with me. Feel free to tag me if I'm wrong.
Yep i didnt bother you at all,until you poked...Calling me a homer and now preforming more mental gymnastics ,on your actual point which i have still yet to see or understand ,other than to try and prove something i couldnt give a shit about

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You just said it in your post,and I repeat Ottawa was a injured team last season...Our best two players in Stone and EK were not healthy all season long ,take the equivilent off any team and they are going to suffer..That just the tip of the issues we faced

Those guys combined for 120+ points last season. I get that they’re both capable of more, but it isn’t like they both missed the entire year. The Sens need a whole lot more than just those two guys at 100% to be a good team next year

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Those guys combined for 120+ points last season. I get that they’re both capable of more, but it isn’t like they both missed the entire year. The Sens need a whole lot more than just those two guys at 100% to be a good team next year
Points are nice ,but EK monster possession game wasnt the same ,ditto Stone he was in and out of the lineup all season long ..Like i have said its not the only reason as to why were bad last season,but its for sure one of the reasons

SoulDynasty

Jan 25, 2017
Ottawa
I just don’t see anyway for Ottawa to make the playoffs. Even with no one getting injured (impossible), all 3/4 rookies performing amazingly (good luck), and all your worthless sacks (Burrows, Ryan, Anderson, Gaborik, Boedker) contributing positively to the team (hahaha), plus your coach changing his outdated strategies, and your goalies performing at an NHL pace, and no more drama from Melnyk, and having your roster be able to put aside all the bad blood/BS from last season, they still won’t top Toronto, Tampa, or Boston in their division. I would even put Florida ahead of them without a few catastrophic injuries on their end. So if all the luck in the world goes Ottawa’s way, they’ll still be battling it out with Columbus/New Jersey/Carolina/Florida/Philly for a wildcard spot.

I just can’t see it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Deep prospect pool ,return of possible deal for EK..Or just resigning EK and having better health ......Either way we could very well be much better next season

You've given up Hoffman+ Brassard for free from that team.

Boston/Tampa/Toronto/Florida are all superior on paper.

Reactions: Beezeral

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You've given up Hoffman+ Brassard from that team.

Brassard was meh ,last season JGP can likely come close to his numbers..Hoffman for sure he is a loss,but maybe one of the kids like White Chalpik,Formenton,Batherson,Tkachuk Brown ETC along with Bodker can help mitigate some of the offense...Again we dont know how the roster will shake out just yet

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I just don’t see anyway for Ottawa to make the playoffs. Even with no one getting injured (impossible), all 3/4 rookies performing amazingly (good luck), and all your worthless sacks (Burrows, Ryan, Anderson, Gaborik, Boedker) contributing positively to the team (hahaha), plus your coach changing his outdated strategies, and your goalies performing at an NHL pace, and no more drama from Melnyk, and having your roster be able to put aside all the bad blood/BS from last season, they still won’t top Toronto, Tampa, or Boston in their division. I would even put Florida ahead of them without a few catastrophic injuries on their end. So if all the luck in the world goes Ottawa’s way, they’ll still be battling it out with Columbus/New Jersey/Carolina/Florida/Philly for a wildcard spot.

I just can’t see it.
Meh,likely not going to play much,but the others are capable of playing at a nhl pace...Bad seasons not withstanding...As far as our rookies,yep we have some that could easily contribute,add in Chabot whom had close to 30 points in 60 games...And think its a little early to write off any team including Ottawa

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I adore Duchene in a Sens uniform. As long as they re-sign him, I don't begrudge that trade in the least. Even if it's a top 5 pick next year, you never know when trading a 1st.

He's everything you want in a player. Drives the net with major skill, works his arse off every shift, is a leader, makes players around him better, wants to win and has the softest hands. Man, we got lucky on this player. Please re-sign him.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Brassard was meh ,last season JGP can likely come close to his numbers..Hoffman for sure he is a loss,but maybe one of the kids like White Chalpik,Formenton,Batherson,Tkachuk Brown ETC along with Bodker can help mitigate some of the offense...Again we dont know how the roster will shake out just yet

It needs massive work to challenge the top4 in the Atlantic, massive work.
You have Duchene+Stone and then mjehh. Even that duo doesn't compete well against the other teams top duos.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
You've given up Hoffman+ Brassard for free from that team.

Let's let the dust settle. Florida is not a slam dunk to be better at all, HOWEVER, Ottawa has major work/damage control to do before we start assigning ranks in the East.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I adore Duchene in a Sens uniform. As long as they re-sign him, I don't begrudge that trade in the least. Even if it's a top 5 pick next year, you never know when trading a 1st.

He's everything you want in a player. Drives the net with major skill, works his arse off every shift, is a leader, makes players around him better, wants to win and has the softest hands. Man, we got lucky on this player. Please re-sign him.

I really wish it didn't take trading a player out of Colorado for fan bases to appreciate our players.

Duchy has one crippling flaw, he goes ice cold for periods of time. But otherwise I agree, at the time it was a fair price. Not so much now.

rodney dangerfield

Dec 8, 2015
I can't believe some Ottawa fans think their team actually has a chance to make the playoffs next year, especially after Karlsson gets traded.

Reactions: amethyst
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad