Speculation: Duchene trade looking back

Status
Not open for further replies.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
i know it is still early but just look at this trade.
The avs gave up a guy that is very overrated in duchene. What they got for a second line centre?

A first
A second
A third
Shane Bowers (2017 first)
Sam Girard (super stud d prospect)
Vladislav kamenev (future second line centre)
Andrew Hammond (solid backup goalie, meh)

I mean kamenev alone could end up better than duchene, who knows. I think Girard is going to be special. Plus basically two first rounders with Bowers involved...

I think turris alone is worth more than duchene if you look at their success on their new teams..

How did Sakic ever pull this one out?? Everyone was ripping him over mishandling the duchene situation but wow!!! He murdered it.

Could this be one of the best trades ever for the avs since they have been a team? Or even from the Quebec days...

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
we all knew it was bad from the begninning. no need to make a thread out of it
I'm okay with it.:sarcasm:

ottawaquakefinal1.jpg

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Could this be one of the best trades ever for the avs since they have been a team? Or even from the Quebec days...
Eric Lindros for Forsberg and the rest

Patrick Roy and Mike Keane for Thibault, Kovalenko and Rucinsky

Ray Bourque for Brian Rolston, Sami Pahlson, Martin Greneir and a 1st (Martin Samuelson)

Rob Blake and Steve Reinprecht for Adam Deadmarsh, Aaron Miller, Jared Aulin, 2 1sts (David Steckel and Brian Boyle)

But yeah it has potential, but I'd rule out it ever topping Lindros. It's like being James Bond after Connery.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Well, Ottawa keeps there top 10 pick this year which gives us a shot at Dahlin Zadina..ect

and keep White Brown Chabot Chlapik Formenton Batherson Gagne Jaros Englund and Hogberg. Literally didnt take a dent into our current prospect pool

Duchene has been great the past 10 games, better than Turris and much better at even strength - but our team as a whole looks horrible which in turn makes the trade look a hell of a lot worse.

It will all depend on how this pans out - either we sign him to a reasonable deal or flip him next deadline for a good return as well.

Its a lot of B & C assets for a really good player, but hell it is still 7 players for one which is amazing for the Avs

Losing Turris killed us from a leadership perspective, but I personally would not have signed him for 6 years so I am okay with it

Last edited:

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Duchene's heating up though. 7 points in his last five games.

He's been pretty solid throughout most of his time with the Sens, but he was having trouble developing chemistry with his linemates so he wasn't putting up points. Now he and Hoffman look pretty good together. I know the Sens suck this season, but it's not because of Duchene. He's one of the few players on this team that's actually playing well.

Turris has cooled off a bit lately and even though Colorado got a pretty good haul, they're relatively unproven so far. Is it not possible to wait a bit longer before making hyperbolic statements about who won and lost a trade?

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Just so we’re clear....otttawa only gave up this...

Kyle Turris (upcoming UFA)
Andrew Hammond (borderline NHL backup goalie)
Shane Bowers
2018 first-round pick
2019 third-round pick.

None of the players Colorado received were top end. Even when the trade was made the 1st was middling.
Girard is decent but he was never considered an“A” prospect, neither was Kamenev.
This trade is the perfect example of quality for quantity. But imo, I never considered Duchene quality.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Just so we’re clear....otttawa only gave up this...

Kyle Turris (upcoming UFA)
Andrew Hammond (borderline NHL backup goalie)
Shane Bowers
2018 first-round pick
2019 third-round pick.

None of the players Colorado received were top end. Even when the trade was made the 1st was middling.
Girard is decent but he was never considered an“A” prospect, neither was Kamenev.
This trade is the perfect example of quality for quantity. But imo, I never considered Duchene quality.

"Only"

Horrendous trade.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
i know it is still early but just look at this trade.
The avs gave up a guy that is very overrated in duchene. What they got for a second line centre?

A first
A second
A third
Shane Bowers (2017 first)
Sam Girard (super stud d prospect)
Vladislav kamenev (future second line centre)
Andrew Hammond (solid backup goalie, meh)

I mean kamenev alone could end up better than duchene, who knows. I think Girard is going to be special. Plus basically two first rounders with Bowers involved...

I think turris alone is worth more than duchene if you look at their success on their new teams..

How did Sakic ever pull this one out?? Everyone was ripping him over mishandling the duchene situation but wow!!! He murdered it.

Well, I don't think you remember that Nashville and Turris were also involved. Nashville gave up pieces to get Turris, which added to Colorado's asset gains.

Look, this site is obsessed with futures, but you don't know how how this trade is gonna be until they're all playing for the Colorado Avalanche.

Unless Ottawa loses Karlsson, and Duchene when he's a UFA. Then yikes...

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It's not even as bad as people make it out to be. Often it gets overlooked, but it's Nashville having really good success with Turris that makes this trade look bad.

Reactions: branch

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Duchene will turn it around eventually. It just may not be in Ottawa. He's still a low-mid range #1c.

He has 8 points in the last 8 games and for the most part has played very well, meanwhile Turris is going through his own slump production wise. There’s peaks and valleys to every season, but still everyone is so quick to rush to judgement. It’s incredible to watch year after year.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I certainly wouldn't call Girard a "super stud" prospect, nor do I think Kamenev is a future 2C, and Hammond definitely isn't a solid backup. No need to exaggerate all of the pieces, they did well in the trade.
I wouldn't have called Sam a stud prospect before I saw him play on regular basis, but he is doing absolutely amazing things as an 19 year old, and he is a blue chipper. Most people don't know he could've played at this past WJC, or that he was the runner up to Chabot for QMJHL D of the year last season, and that he won that award the season prior to that. Kid is legit and since Tyson went down he has shown great offensive instincts to go along with steady defensive game. Kid's a gem, and quite frankly I think Joe raked it in with this trade, Shane is playing great at BU, Kamanev is a good prospect, Sam is killing it in the NHL, 2nd and 3rd rounder are nice as well, but the biggest kicker is the chance for Ottawa's pick to be in the top 5 next year.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I certainly wouldn't call Girard a "super stud" prospect, nor do I think Kamenev is a future 2C, and Hammond definitely isn't a solid backup. No need to exaggerate all of the pieces, they did well in the trade.

In regards to Hammond, I think he can be a capable back up. Solid maybe a generous word but let’s be honest he was a throw in who I doubt has a future in Colorado and even his NHL status is in the air moving forward. He hasn’t even played a minute of hockey in Colorado, suggesting he made the return better is a little much.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
just a coincidence the avs immediately surge while the sens tank after the trade. preds and avs benefitted while the sens didn't.. duchene fan boys in denial.

Reactions: BuckyDornster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->