Speculation: Duchene trade looking back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selzoons

Mar 3, 2018
To be fair, I think Duchene always thought he was the savior--Hart Trophy candidate, 1st All Star Team Center, etc.--that would bring the Avalanche back to the promised land. It felt like he thought he should be picking up a point in almost every game and carrying the team on his back, even if he never had the talent for it. And when he couldn't, it was a failure. That discrepancy between what he was and what he thought he was would always cause things to snowball.Now that he's no longer in Colorado maybe he slides into that "simple" 1C 65~70pt center role.

I think that's why he celebrated his 30 goal season so much--he always envisioned himself as a 30 goal scorer. I think he chased numbers to an extent, not because he was that selfish a player but because he had expectations of himself that he had to meet. In seasons where a national team spot was on the line, he always upped his defensive effort as if to prove he was a versatile two-way forward that deserved to be on Team Canada. It meant a lot to him. He was never close to contention for any awards so I think it was a way that showed he was one of the best players on the planet.

He has all the tools to be a 1C even if his hockey sense is a bit lacking. There's a reason some hockey people such as Hockey Canada think (or at least thought) highly of him. There's a reason he made the national team ahead of guys like Hall and Giroux. There's a reason why Turris was never even in contention.

The one thing you can't really fault is that the effort is (almost) always there even if it's not always in the right place. Yes, he quit on the Avalanche the year before last, but there were plenty of years where the team quit way before him and he looked like the only player who gave a damn. Roy lambasted Duchene for celebrating his 30th goal in 15-16, but Duchene was easily our best player that year.

To a lesser extent he's like MacKinnon before last year, he's not really lacking anything. The hockey IQ might not be top tier but it's good enough and the physical attributes are all there. It's not really about effort, it's about the mindset. What is he? What should he be? What should he be focusing on? I think he had the wrong answer to all those questions. Can he find them at the age of 27? Sure, plenty of people come into their own at that age. Would I bet on it? No, but it's still possible.

That being said, there's always the inevitable physical decline to worry about. I think he'll always have plus speed but he's already lost half a step. The edge work is still there and it's still one of the best in the NHL but it's still a question of how much he can afford lose before it's too much because he doesn't have the hockey IQ to make up for it.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The short end is ,did we upgrade on a player that was older and wanted a long term contract???Yes,did we keep our best prospects out of the deal??Yes...The potenial of giving up a top 5 pick not withstanding Ottawa didnt lose anything it couldnt afford to lose...

This constant reassurance Col fans seem to want to give themselves,at our expense isnt nessesary ,you guys got fair to maybe more than fair value for a very good player...
There's no need. Sens management has given us near constant reassurance.

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop
Right away it was a great trade for the Avs, it made sense for the Preds and it was a head scratcher for Ottawa

No way 2 1sts are the difference between Turris and Duchene

At this point it's a homerun for the Avs and a disaster for Ottawa

Ottawa fans should be able to admit this trade was a disaster while still loving and appreciating Duchene

Reactions: Bileur

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Right away it was a great trade for the Avs, it made sense for the Preds and it was a head scratcher for Ottawa

Ottawa fans should be able to admit this trade was a disaster while still loving and appreciating Duchene
I just keep thinking of Kessel in Toronto or Reechi in Montreal where they performed well, but were never able to overcome the specter of the price paid for them. Lindros had the advantage of being the precise sort of knuckle dragger that appeals to Philly fans.

Reactions: Grandrift145

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I could see the Sens making it in next season.
How?

I can't see Vegas as an example because the Senators aren't getting an expansion draft. It just didn't "happen" for Colorado either, Sakic cleared a lot of dross off the roster and the team was able to recover from Roy leaving them high and dry.

For the Senators the case for making the playoffs seems to hinge on Karlson returning to Ottawa and returning to form and Anderson continuing on as hockey's Brett Saberhagen and having another good year.

I'm dubious about the former because Melnyk insists on this charade of waiting until July 1st to negotiate with EK, meanwhile Arizona and OEL have a deal locked an loaded. And if he does hit the trade Market, you have Dorion making the deal.:help:

On the latter: Anderson is 37 and might want out.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
How?

I can't see Vegas as an example because the Senators aren't getting an expansion draft. It just didn't "happen" for Colorado either, Sakic cleared a lot of dross off the roster and the team was able to recover from Roy leaving them high and dry.

For the Senators the case for making the playoffs seems to hinge on Karlson returning to Ottawa and returning to form and Anderson continuing on as hockey's Brett Saberhagen and having another good year.

I'm dubious about the former because Melnyk insists on this charade of waiting until July 1st to negotiate with EK, meanwhile Arizona and OEL have a deal locked an loaded. And if he does hit the trade Market, you have Dorion making the deal.:help:

On the latter: Anderson is 37 and might want out.
quiet you. Someone has to reverse all this "Sens suck avs gonna get Hughes"talk on here. Ya'll just jinxing it.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Eric Lindros for Forsberg and the rest

The rest was quite a treasure trove.
Steven Duchene was a decent player, Ricci was very valuable, Thibault almost played 600 games in the NHL and Chris Simon also had his own legacy of evil.

I don't ever expect to see a trade that big ever again.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Definitely a franchise changing trade for both teams potentially. I'm sorry but Ottawa will be a basement team next year. If you look at the Atlantic division next year -Toronto, Tampa, Boston, Buffalo and Florida will all be better than Ottawa next year, they will be battling with the Wings and Habs for the basement of the Atlantic next year and Colorado will reap the rewards of a long, terrible season for the Sens.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Rob Blake and Steve Reinprecht for Adam Deadmarsh, Aaron Miller, Jared Aulin, 2 1sts (David Steckel and Brian Boyle).
Huh ?
That was a very good trade for the Kings.

People make the mistake to point out the draftpicks but those were KINGS picks. Deadmarsh unfortunately faced a career ending injury and Miller was a 2nd pairing defenseman for years. I even think Jared Aulin might have been a NHL player if he was traded to a different team other than the Kings.

Blake was a beast already who got traded a top tier team...1 + 1 = 2.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Definitely a franchise changing trade for both teams potentially. I'm sorry but Ottawa will be a basement team next year. If you look at the Atlantic division next year -Toronto, Tampa, Boston, Buffalo and Florida will all be better than Ottawa next year, they will be battling with the Wings and Habs for the basement of the Atlantic next year and Colorado will reap the rewards of a long, terrible season for the Sens.

It's not really that black and white. At the time of the trade Ottawa was considered as a much better team than the Avs, things just went south for them suddenly and they couldn't turn the ship around while the Avs enjoyed a season nobody could've ever expected. Duchene has been solid for the Sens for the most part; who's to say things won't change to the opposite? Granted, Ottawa is a mess right now but so were the Avs before MacK turned into fire. It's the same time thing with the other teams, some will always disappoint and some will surprise. There's the whole summer left to put the team together.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
It's not really that black and white. At the time of the trade Ottawa was considered as a much better team than the Avs, things just went south for them suddenly and they couldn't turn the ship around while the Avs enjoyed a season nobody could've ever expected. Duchene has been solid for the Sens for the most part; who's to say things won't change to the opposite? .
Karlson, Andersson, Dorion and Melnyk.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

At this point, I think it has the potential of being a homerun for the Avs, but we still need a lot of things to go right. There's no question that I'd make the trade again in a heartbeat, but I just think we should be wary of counting our chickens before they hatch.

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
I'm fine with the trade if the Sens re-sign Duchene and give the Avs a pick that isn't top 5. If Duchene walks or the Avs get #1 overall or both.... It'll go down as one of the worst trades ever.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
I'm okay with it.:sarcasm:

ottawaquakefinal1.jpg

Hey I see a bit of smoke on the other side of the Ottawa River, leave Gatineau out of this! lol

darnok

Mar 15, 2014
This thread is funny

You can have Duchene, we’re glad you like him, but the Sens got hosed hard by any measure

Why would anyone even defend that at this point
"By any measure" I guess you mean other than goals and assists.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Seemed like the Avalanche were able to trade whatever bad karma they had hanging over them as a franchise to Ottawa in that deal as a kind of "future considerations." Totally bizarre the way it went down and how Ottawa took Colorado's place as a joke and doormat almost instantaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad