News: Duchene intrigued by free-agency route after watching Tavares

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
At the time of the trade though, weren't they still, at least in the standings, an average team? Coming off a trip to Game 7 OT in the 3rd round.

Now, with everything that's happened since that trade, it looks like it could be one of those trades people bring up for the next 20 years.

I'm sure the Sens weren't thinking, we'll have to choose between the 4th overall pick this year, and maybe the 1st overall pick next year. At worst, they probably figured they'd barely miss the playoffs, and the pick would be around 15, and nobody will remember we gave it to Colorado. Then if they suck this year, at least they have their own pick, and whatever they get back for Duchene as a rental.

Yeah at the time of the trade I remember thinking despite what they gave up it'll be worth it for them since they're in win now mode. But now? Giving up a solid prospect + probably a top 10 pick with everyone bailing ship? Yikes.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Karlsson, Duchene, Stone, and Ceci are all UFAs next year and the team doesn't even have a 1st.

giphy.gif

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
What, so you think he should be loyal to OTT, then likely get moved by them whenever THEY feel ready to?
Duchene owes OTT nothing but his best for this year. After that, nothing.

Habs need to pick up the phone and at least ask what the price is. If the ask is Poehling, do they do it?

Oh hell no. As a Habs fan here in Colorado I've watched Duchene enough to know I don't want him on my team. Duchene's already peaked. Just wind up with a fat contract for indifferent play.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Duchene's the only one willing to say it out loud.

Can we please stop pretending the concept of a "2 year rental" is imaginary? It's EXTREMELY risky paying top dollar like Dorian did for a 2 year rental, you're essentially giving the player a year to decide if they want to stick around, and then a second year where, like Tavares last season, the drop in effort is noticeable as they look ahead to their next team.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Of course he is intrigued by it. He hasn't been there very long so not much emotional investment. Team hasnt been good so far that hes been there. If that continues, I wouldnt blame him if he left.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I did forget that. Yeesh. I have a feeling they are going to make a desperation deal in November in order to try and make the playoffs...

1. So that they give up a lower 1st round pick

2. To try and convince someone to stay.

If the Sens are in playoff contention, it will be a lot more feasible to retain our 3 big guys. If we add a player and show that we are willing to spend, that would go an even longer way.

I dont expect playoff contention but I think we will retain at least one of the guys. If all three walk, the Sens would have, like, 29-33mil committed with only Dzingel (4.5), Pyatt (1.25), White (2.5), Ceci (5.5), Wideman (2.5), Paajarvi (1.0), and Wolanin (2.0) to re-sign. Estimated salaries, all purposefully inflated, in brackets would still only leave us with ~50mil committed. Even if we don't LTIR Gaborik and MacArthur, we'd still be under the cap floor.

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
lol Douchene. If it always smells like shit you best check your own shoes. Guy is a cancer.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That's a nice way for him to spin "I'm intrigued to see free agency after the shit show I've seen the past year in ottawa"

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Dmg1oyqX4AMJUMG.jpg:large

Click-bait'y headline reads: "Duchene doesn't want to move forward with Erik as a teammate."

Honestly I found that some pretty odd wording from Duchene...I don't think he necessarily meant he doesn't want Karlsson as a teammate, but he definitely meant something even if he didn't intend on saying it.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Matt Duchene's tenure in Ottawa could wind up being very brief, as the 2019 unrestricted free agent confirmed to reporters Friday that he and the Senators haven't had any contract talks yet.”

That’s ridiculous. I get that EK is priority, but he alone isn’t a 24/7 job. How do you not at least get talks started with Duchene?
It's almost like something else is going on...

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Honestly I found that some pretty odd wording from Duchene...I don't think he necessarily meant he doesn't want Karlsson as a teammate, but he definitely meant something even if he didn't intend on saying it.

I certainly don't think it implies anything like that, but I think it very much implies that he doesn't expect Erik back next year.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Duchene when asked about the lack of negotiations

There’s been some big things going on that obviously take precedent over that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad