News: Duchene intrigued by free-agency route after watching Tavares

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
If he's playing in the Tr91tor way he's already messed up by saying he's interested in Free Agency lol. He needs to say the exact opposite for the next 9 months and then do a 180.

I don't know why you call him "Tr91tor", is it his his fault that he gave the Islanders a sweetheart contract and the Islanders management could not do jackshit and not surround him with talent?

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sometimes you have to wonder about how stupid NHLers are when they are "intrigued" by a process that's been in place since for ever.

Reactions: SoulDynasty

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
What, so you think he should be loyal to OTT, then likely get moved by them whenever THEY feel ready to?
Duchene owes OTT nothing but his best for this year. After that, nothing.

Habs need to pick up the phone and at least ask what the price is. If the ask is Poehling, do they do it?

No since the habs will be tanking and could just sign duchene next summer

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Taylor Hall made similar comments - basically said that players are historically more loyal to the team than the team (organization) is to the player, and that he admires Tavares for putting himself first, and that he could see other players starting to follow suit.

Reactions: Morrison and Cotton

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
What, so you think he should be loyal to OTT, then likely get moved by them whenever THEY feel ready to?
Duchene owes OTT nothing but his best for this year. After that, nothing.

Habs need to pick up the phone and at least ask what the price is. If the ask is Poehling, do they do it?
Don't think so, he can sign as a FA next year if he wants to play in Montreal, don't see Montreal trading Poehling for a player with one year left (especially when they likely won't make the playoffs).

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
and you believe Melnyk would will out bid every interested team if MD decides to test the ufa waters ?

i'm sure there's plenty of teams willing to pay big $$$ for a still young high quality center and won't be the clown show the Sens got turned into

I really do not, but we have to throw a bone out there to Sens fans - hope - just give something to hope for lol

Reactions: hotpaws

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
not a surprise based on how awful the ottawa organization seems to be right now from top to bottom. The best thing ottawa has going for them is the talent on the team, and that could change real quick.

Best thing Ottawa has going for them is the talent not on the team, actually.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Anyone smelling a really bad trade coming? This is just a terrible trade, no first rounder, Karlsson maybe moving on, Duchene as well. This is a GM who knows this might be his career being over if the team dissolves at his finger tips after almost making the finals.

I think he is going to make a career saving deal to try and make the playoffs, and lose more assets in the process while everyone walks at the end of the year.
Don't forget Stone is a potential UFA too.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Anyone smelling a really bad trade coming? This is just a terrible trade, no first rounder, Karlsson maybe moving on, Duchene as well. This is a GM who knows this might be his career being over if the team dissolves at his finger tips after almost making the finals.

I think he is going to make a career saving deal to try and make the playoffs, and lose more assets in the process while everyone walks at the end of the year.

I think some team will rip off the Senators in a trade, I just hope it is the Flames:)

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
"I want to re-sign on the Island." - John Tavares
Garth Snow:
“I’m not trading John, I’ve stated that,’’ Snow said Wednesday. “I know I sound like a broken record but any conversations I have with John or his agent (Pat Brisson) remain private.’’
Asked if was a gamble not to engage in trade talks because Tavares can merely walk away this summer, Snow said, “I think any team — I mean we’ve been through it as well — every team has free agents. Every team has players they want to sign. We drafted John at 18 years old and think the world of him. We want him to retire an Islander. This is all part of a process that he earned under this collective bargaining agreement, to take his time and be thoughtful about what he wants to do for the rest of his hockey career.’’

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Can’t trade Duchene for futures because then that makes Dorion look like a fool if their pick to Colorado ends up being Hughes but you also can’t let another star walk in free agency (especially after giving up that package for him). Stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

Just keeps getting worse for the Sens. I feel for the fans. It’s almost insane to think that 16 months ago this was a team that was one goal away from a SCF.
They really need to play the "circumstances have changed card" if they feel there is a risk of him walking. But who the hell knows what mindset Sideshow Mel and Dodo have right now?

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I would like him on the Preds instead of Turris but it's not like we can swap or fit both anyways..

He'll go anywhere the most money and competetiviness is offered.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Can’t trade Duchene for futures because then that makes Dorion look like a fool if their pick to Colorado ends up being Hughes but you also can’t let another star walk in free agency (especially after giving up that package for him). Stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

Just keeps getting worse for the Sens. I feel for the fans. It’s almost insane to think that 16 months ago this was a team that was one goal away from a SCF.

The traded pick is a sunk cost at this point. Any intelligent organization would realize that and not make decisions based on the optics of the situation.

Of course I consistently said that Ottawa should have given up their pick in this past draft so they would feel more free to trade these pending UFA's, but even in their current state they should still be looking to move these guys if they don't think they'll retain them past this year. The futures they would get back are still something.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
They should package Duchene in the Karlsson trade to negate the negative value of packaging Ryan in the Karlsson trade.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Duchene already said he ain’t going through another rebuild when leaving Colorado. Right now im sure the locker room feels like they can bounce back from last year - but i really doubt it happens.

After Duchene gets confirmation the Sens will suck, he won’t entertain the idea of re-signing so the Sens get what they can at the TDL or earlier and he hits FA.

At least that’s my guess. Him staying in Ottawa would go against everything he said a year ago. Not to mention this is his prime opportunity to find the right fit and cash in. You don’t throw that chance away for Ottawa..

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Yes they can trade Duchene for futures.

They'll just say that they did all they could to re-sign him and he didn't want to stay.

They'd look worse losing him for nothing. At least with a trade, the Sens can recoup a few picks/prospects.

If Duchene refuses to re-sign, and COL gets Hughes, that's obviously the worst of the worst case scenarios.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Even though I dislike the Sens. I absolutely think Melnyk is a disgrace to the league. Considering the league is so far left it pains me, I wouldn't care if he was forced to sell the team to someone that gives a damn. Ballard was enough, I am a hockey fan first and this idiot is just that, nobody will want to play there and he should not be rewarded with a new Stadium.

Reactions: Sensung

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Matt Duchene's tenure in Ottawa could wind up being very brief, as the 2019 unrestricted free agent confirmed to reporters Friday that he and the Senators haven't had any contract talks yet.”

That’s ridiculous. I get that EK is priority, but he alone isn’t a 24/7 job. How do you not at least get talks started with Duchene?

One might be inclined to think Ottawa doesn't have any interest in paying him the big money he's probably going to get.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Man oh man... if he goes to free agency, what a ****ing trade.

At the time of the trade though, weren't they still, at least in the standings, an average team? Coming off a trip to Game 7 OT in the 3rd round.

Now, with everything that's happened since that trade, it looks like it could be one of those trades people bring up for the next 20 years.

I'm sure the Sens weren't thinking, we'll have to choose between the 4th overall pick this year, and maybe the 1st overall pick next year. At worst, they probably figured they'd barely miss the playoffs, and the pick would be around 15, and nobody will remember we gave it to Colorado. Then if they suck this year, at least they have their own pick, and whatever they get back for Duchene as a rental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad