LeBrun: Dubois may be looking for change of scenery

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Damn as much as I'd love Dubois.. I feel bad for Columbus.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
This is just the new way of the NHL. Either you pay your stars an absurd amount of money coming off their ELC or they start looking elsewhere.
Teams need to clamp down on it in unison. Stop doing what Toronto, Edmonton, and Buffalo did by giving in early and just make the young players eat it until they reach UFA.
It's also happening with Laine and Barzal. Then it will happen with the next batch of stars unless their teams just jump at a max offer right away.

RFA's are a great bet.
UFA's are 99% pure horseshit halfway through their retirement contracts.

Maybe GM's should stop handing money and term to UFA's and start handing them to their home-grown talent.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Winnipeg:
PLD

Columbus:
Jack Roslovic
Sami Niku
Mathieu Perreault
1st 2021

Dubios's Dad lives in Winnipeg and is an assistant coach for the Moose. Plus Dubois as a 2C and centring Connor/Ehlers/Perfetti/Laine might work out well for him and Laine. When Stastny's contract expires Laine might find his game again and get the money he wants from the Jets.

Might replace Perreault with Vesalainen in the trade, but he'd need to be moved for cap purposes.
Lmao this is the same fabled offer that Jets fans were unwilling to part with in this site for Mark Stone. Trash

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Way better player than Laine
Kind of stretching it there when Laine has more than twice the number of goals and one and a half times as many points at the same age.

Let me guess, you're going with the lazy and uninformed "centers are always with more than wingers", right?

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Kind of stretching it there when Laine has more than twice the number of goals and one and a half times as many points at the same age.

Let me guess, you're going with the lazy and uninformed "centers are always with more than wingers", right?
To be fair getting an elite center back would be 10x more valuable to Columbus in such a PLD deal than getting an elite winger.

The Bluejackets simply do not have the center depth to trade away PLD without getting a bonafide top-line center back. That alone is going to make any trade very difficult to consummate.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Regardless of PLDs intentions, now that he has signed the Jackets won’t be trading him for at least a year.

Was it just a ploy to get the contract done? Who knows. Portzline didn’t add anything new with his article and was mostly just piggy backing off LeBruns tweet. But where there is smoke there is fire and either the agent nor Jarmo would comment. So we’ll see where this goes, but I bet he’s a Blue Jacket for at least one more season and they will do whatever they can to have him stay.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Does everyone think it's an issue with Torts, management, the locker room or the city?

Or just a figment of Potzline's imagination.
The city for sure. If you were a young millionaire would you really want to be in Columbus when there are chances to play in 25+ better cities.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Honest question, does that change what he said?

I believe that is in the eye of the beholder. Would it not?

People will point to recent history of one player who left for brighter lights (Panarin, don’t give me Bobrovsky because he signed two separate contracts with us, and Duchene had his eyes on Nashville for years) and think it’s some sort of indictment on the city. Columbus isn’t a free agent destination, and never will be. But unless you’ve lived here don’t speak on things you don’t know about. Plenty of “young millionaires” in the NHL have made this place home here.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I believe that is in the eye of the beholder. Would it not?

People will point to recent history of one player who left for brighter lights (Panarin, don’t give me Bobrovsky because he signed two separate contracts with us, and Duchene had his eyes on Nashville for years) and think it’s some sort of indictment on the city. Columbus isn’t a free agent destination, and never will be. But unless you’ve lived here don’t speak on things you don’t know about. Plenty of “young millionaires” in the NHL have made this place home here.

Absolutely it's in the eye of the beholder, and I'm sure plenty of people fall in anywhere from tolerating Columbus while being paid millions to do so, to even liking Columbus and wanting to live there. But I bet if you had every player rank the cities they want to live in, places like Columbus, St. Paul, Winnipeg, Buffalo would be towards the bottom way more often than not. It's not that offensive to suggest that places like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami/Tampa Bay are way more appealing to young, millionaire athletes.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Absolutely it's in the eye of the beholder, and I'm sure plenty of people fall in anywhere from tolerating Columbus while being paid millions to do so, to even liking Columbus and wanting to live there. But I bet if you had every player rank the cities they want to live in, places like Columbus, St. Paul, Winnipeg, Buffalo would be towards the bottom way more often than not. It's not that offensive to suggest that places like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami/Tampa Bay are way more appealing to young, millionaire athletes.

And If that was the context of the conversation I would agree. But that was not the context of his statement, or yours.

and just because it might be more appealing to most young players, doesn’t mean it is for all. I know for a fact Rick Nash loved living here as a kid. He was a young millionaire. He has made this his forever home. Some young players like a more laid back community than the bright lights or party cities. Especially Europeans who are living in America for the first time.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And If that was the context of the conversation I would agree. But that was not the context of his statement, or yours.

What's the context then? He said he thinks it's the city that PLD wants to leave because, as a young millionaire, there are probably 25+ better cities he could play in? Sure seems like he's saying there are more appealing places to live...

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd definitely add Minnesota in that bottom group if that's what we're doing here.

Yeah, I did:

I don't know why you're trying to hurt my feelings using that angle, I already left Minnesota.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
To be fair getting an elite center back would be 10x more valuable to Columbus in such a PLD deal than getting an elite winger.

The Bluejackets simply do not have the center depth to trade away PLD without getting a bonafide top-line center back. That alone is going to make any trade very difficult to consummate.
Certainly. Team needs are almost always more important, so I definitely agree with that point of view.

I just wanted to point out that "way better" doesn't agree with actual statistics.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
What's the context then? He said he thinks it's the city that PLD wants to leave because, as a young millionaire, there are probably 25+ better cities he could play in? Sure seems like he's saying there are more appealing places to live...

And all of that is just an opinion. One held with zero knowledge of the situation, city, or the player.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And all of that is just an opinion. One held with zero knowledge of the situation, city, or the player.

Are you going to tell me what the context was that I apparently missed?

As far as I can tell, I was perfectly in line with the context of his post and your response, and you stated you agree with my point, so I'll just assume at this point you're simply just offended that someone could suggest that Columbus, Ohio could not be a desirable spot for PLD to live, and I'll move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad