LeBrun: Dubois may be looking for change of scenery

Status
Not open for further replies.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Will you read before posting. He still wants to be moved.
The tweet says "still unsigned," but you think if I read it a little harder, I'll come to the conclusion that it says "he signed but he doesn't want to be there," is that right?

Here I thought it was LeBrun with egg on his face for tweeting this hours before his new contract was announced.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am sure most teams in the NHL will inquire about PLD. He is an obvious up and comer and is already playing great hockey.
From a leafs perspective, he would fill a hole on the team that no one talks about; a physical, big bodied LW. I realize he has been playing center but he has also been a very effective LW. Players who are versatile like that are great to have.
William Nylander would be the player that seems sensible to base our proposal around. Already a very good hockey player and has demonstrated center capabilities.
I wonder if there could be a match....... and, yes, I realize there are a lot of leafs fans on these boards and we can be overwhelming. But I do think Nylander is a player that might interest Columbus.

Can't imagine that Nylander would be a great fit with Torts. Perhaps they'd like him as a wing upgrade, but he's failed as a center and you obviously can't move Dubois for a winger unless the winger is a big time play-driver. Dubois is much more valuable as a center, Leafs will get outbid if they just want him as a power forward winger.

Huge fan of the guy's game. As a Caps fan I'd pony up Kuznetsov + 1st or Kuznetsov + Hendrix as a start of negotiations.

Let's think about this - if there is one player on the Caps that Torts would murder, who would it be?

Not how I see it...

PLD > Laine (but not by much)
Texier = Roslovic (but expansion draft exempt)
Heinola > Marchenko (Heinola gives CBJ a very good expansion draft exempt D)

I'll contest the second one the most. Texier is two and a half years younger than Roslovic and has a very unknown future ahead of him. For all we know he could become a real topline winger or a solid 2C. That ship has sailed for Roslovic.

would comeback with a Kotkaniemi, Caulfield, second round pick offer

I've been tipped off that you referred to KK as an "AHLer" last year, you must be trolling me.

Suzuki + Romanov and I'd have to think about it.

Reactions: Viqsi

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
True. But if they get a great offer they may take it and move on.

Yeah, I am sure that's true. I think he is a 1C in the making, if he isn't considered that already. Lots of teams would want a young legit 1C. They almost never hit the market. So what would be the right deal for Columbus to move him?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The tweet says "still unsigned," but you think if I read it a little harder, I'll come to the conclusion that it says "he signed but he doesn't want to be there," is that right?

Here I thought it was LeBrun with egg on his face for tweeting this hours before his new contract was announced.

No the "he doesn't want to be there" was followed up and confirmed by Portzline in subsequent reporting.

Lebrun isn't wrong about that.

The whole "he's not in Columbus... " thing to imply that talks weren't close doesn't look good now but we have to understand how Lebrun gets his news in the first place. Pat Brisson is Lebrun's buddy and also PLD's agent. They are in crunch time to finalize a short term deal with Columbus, so he sends word to Lebrun that PLD is out of town and that PLD liked what he heard from other clubs in RFA talks. The second part is big news and forces the Jackets hand, it also appears to be true.

Some people will read the tweet assuming that PLD can't be signed if he wants to be moved, or that "being out of town" must mean that talks aren't close. Actually PLD just went to his girlfriend's place in Michigan for New Years Eve, it meant nothing, and having Lebrun tweet it out was obviously a ploy to hurry the talks across the finish line. The other part is misread too, PLD can't be moved on a whim, there have been countless RFAs around the league that weren't keen about staying with their team long term but had no choice but to wait until their third or fourth contract to force a move.

Lebrun could have provided all of that context himself but it's not great for the clickbait. We have to just learn to read how these agents and reporters operate.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Not how I see it...

PLD > Laine (but not by much)
Texier = Roslovic (but expansion draft exempt)
Heinola > Marchenko (Heinola gives CBJ a very good expansion draft exempt D)
You can't really make a case for PLD being better. Laine outscores PLD by so much it negates any positional or defensive advantage. Even their contracts convey that Laine is the better player. Not by a ton, but Laine is certainly more valuable.

Reactions: Huffer

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Let's think about this - if there is one player on the Caps that Torts would murder, who would it be?

Kuznetsov's best years were under Trotz, who is a disciplinarian, though certainly a different flavor than Torterlla. A firm hand has worked better with Kuznetsov than any other style of coaching thus far.

That said, I think other clubs will be able to top what the Caps would offer. Again, a fan of PLD's game. Can't see why CLB would trade him, to be honest.

Reactions: majormajor

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
Why would CBJ do that ? PLD is the more complete player and a team wins with that type of player . Laine is will follow in Kovalchuk path .
I’m just calling what the trade will end up being.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So with that in mind, and knowing that no team that’s trading for a 1C will be trading a 1C (just doesn’t make sense), what are the 2021 CBJ needs/demands to consider? More out of curiosity than anything.
One way or another, we're going to need a #1C out of it. It might not happen straight up - we might see a scenario in which we get a top defenseman and trade one of Werenski/Jones for the #1C - sort of a repeat and extension of the Johansen/Jones lateral. Or maybe in that timeframe one of Texier or Foudy will suddenly exceed expectations and that would open up options. Or maybe Domi really takes off here and he seizes the role. But going without a #1C for any substantial length of time is categorically not going to be one of the options.

Reactions: majormajor

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I don't know about that. Trading a first (and an additional conditional first) and two good prospects for Duchene, keeping Panarin and Bobrovsky, trading second round picks for Dzingel, and a fourth for McQuaid doesn't seem to be "spinning its wheels" to me. They also negotiated with Marner last year for an offer sheet.

And the bolded just isn't true. Who was Tampa's big Free Agent signing was Pat Maroon. The Blues' was David Perron. For the Caps it was probably Niskanen. None of these guys were the top Free Agents in their respective years. Solid players, but nothing you spend top dollar for.

I'm sure your two nights stay at the Westin really gave you a fair judgement.

It's not insecurity to call out bullshit.

Since when did Cleveland become Columbus? Should I post tweets/pressers of players praising Cleveland or?
Yes I've never lived there but I have had a chance to explore the city. I interviewed there for medical school and every place I considered spending the next 4 years of my life I took the time to survey the area.
I didn't hate it but its not the kind of place that a non-local just falls in love with. And obviously not everyone thinks Columbus is a shitty city as some players obviously like it there, but from personal experience and from intuition, there a lot of cities that hold significantly more appeal- especially to a young rich guy. So what about that is "bullshit"?

Yes it is obviously insecurity. You immediately attacked me saying how I've never spent a night, and then continued on to demean my experience in the city, despite the fact I was't hostile towards you at all. I obviously hit a nerve because what I said is at least partially true- thus the insecurity.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
One way or another, we're going to need a #1C out of it. It might not happen straight up - we might see a scenario in which we get a top defenseman and trade one of Werenski/Jones for the #1C - sort of a repeat and extension of the Johansen/Jones lateral. Or maybe in that timeframe one of Texier or Foudy will suddenly exceed expectations and that would open up options. Or maybe Domi really takes off here and he seizes the role. But going without a #1C for any substantial length of time is categorically not going to be one of the options.
I think a trade for Hertl could make some sense for both teams if SJ wants to get a bit younger in exchange for a player who is better now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You can't really make a case for PLD being better. Laine outscores PLD by so much it negates any positional or defensive advantage. Even their contracts convey that Laine is the better player. Not by a ton, but Laine is certainly more valuable.

I don't think there is much of a scoring discrepancy if you have them switch team systems and linemates, and the defensive discrepancy between the two players is pretty darn big. I know Laine isn't the biggest liability in the league anymore (that was so 2018-19), but he's still not someone you put out there in a big 5v5 matchup and expect to win the battle.

Dubois had the rookies Robinson and Bemstrom/Texier on his wing for much of the year while the top wingers were all injured, they didn't score much for a topline but did outscore their opponents, and that is telling. Laine would never survive that, heck his main line with Connor-Scheifele-Laine actually got narrowly outscored. Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler didn't have that problem when they got back together for about 1/4 of last year. Maurice has gone out of his way to make things work for Laine, sadly I think the Jets would be better off moving Laine and not just because of his desire to be moved. Maybe that's why Jets fans are trying so hard to send him to Columbus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad