Confirmed with Link: Dubnyk + 2022 7th to San Jose for 2022 5th (50% salary retained)

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Anyone have any realistic alternatives in mind? Just curious because it seems like we are screwed no matter what we do in addressing the net

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Devan Dubnyk and Aaron Dell share the same birthday - 4 May, albeit three years apart.

Reactions: Sandisfan

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Anyone have any realistic alternatives in mind? Just curious because it seems like we are screwed no matter what we do in addressing the net

Looking at the list of goalie FA's I can see why they made the deal. I would still rather not give up cap/assets on a goalie who was statistically worse than Jones last year, but for 1 year/2million the goalie market would look pretty bare. I would have preferred another goalie, but you can't really blame Doug for following the advice of his hired goalie coach. That's what he is supposed to do.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
I'd say you don't need to be a dick about it, but I don't know why I'd expect anything different from a Vegas fan.

Sorry. What I should have said:

Both you and Nemesis the are moderators, you lackadaisical pieces of, what appears to be a high fiber diet, human excrement.

My bad.

Reactions: STL Shark

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
giphy.gif

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Given that the Sharks are keeping Jones, and wanted an established 1b, is there a single other option out there they could have gotten? Andersen would cost more, no retention, I assume doesn’t want to share the net.
Either Columbus goalie wants to be a starter, going to cost more.
Lundqvist will probably cost a similar amount in terms of cap, and doesn’t sound he has a chance to be a starter anymore (not saying Dubnyk does either.)
Holtby and Markstrom too expensive, want to start.
Khodubin too expensive.
Greiss too expensive.
Crawford, in the same boat as Dubnyk, not sure the cost.
Talbot, maybe could’ve work.
Mike Smith, lol no thanks.

So the Sharks really put themselves in a corner by committing to acquiring an established goalie. I know they are done with Dell, but with such limited options available to them you’d have to think that perhaps dumpster diving on the cheap would be better than spending assets. Maybe they could have waited until free agency to see what came up. Or maybe they tried to move Jones and that was spectacularly unsuccessful.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I dont like this deal but it could be worse. The cap hit isn't huge and there are no ramifications beyond this season if dubnyk doesn't work out (which seems likely). I wonder if that was a big reason sharks wanted dubnky over another Goaltender, not having to commit to term.

Reactions: SjMilhouse

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Seems like this trade could be subtraction by addition. What other options were there? Would having Melnichuk as the backup really be worse?

On the other hand, there is evidence to suggest that Nabokov thinks very highly of Dubnyk. So, the goaltending expert might think he can rehabilitate Dubnyk's game...there is a temptation to defer to the expert (though Nabokov is no Strelow).

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Seems like a stopgap move tbh

Like DW wanting to get the team back in the playoffs (with him HEAVILY relying on Nabby here) while also giving him an out in case his moves get whiff punished like they did last year

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
The one positive is that DW most likely would have been spending the same on the open market while possibly having to commit to a multi year deal. Dubnyk could be a stop gap to give Melchinuk some time. Hopefully we can deal Sorensen to give us a little extra cap space

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It's not the best move, but it's not the worst. The FA goalie market was going to be too expensive with no sure things available in the price range the Sharks have. So 1 year of Dubnyk on the hope he rebounds at 50% of his normal cost is fine. The Sharks also weren't likely to go right back up to contender status anyway. So next year if Dubnyk still sucks they cut him loose and nothing of value is lost and they can try their luck at getting a better alternative to Jones then. For the price of downgrading 2 rounds late in the draft 2 years from now, that's fine.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I think I'd have rather had Dell for $1.25M or whatever, but if Nabby likes Dubnyk better I'm cool with it. If Melnichuk outplays him great, but now at least he's not just fighting Konenar for the backup.

Reactions: Alaskanice

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
This deal is very simple, get a veteran goalie to backup/tandem with Jones. With salary retention you really couldn't go wrong here. I assume this is also a 1 year thing to see if Melnichuk is NHL ready. With the minimum for a goalie pretty much being 1M and Duby costing us little over 2, I don't see the downside here. If we had gone FA route we'd be signing a multi year deal and likely overpaying. If we traded for a different goalie, we'd likely be giving up more than the drop from 5th round to 7th round. I fully support this move from DW.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
If Melnichuk shows he's NHL-quality and Dubnyk sucks, can the Sharks waive Dubnyk and send him to the Barracuda for a reduction in cap hit? Wouldn't save very much ($150,000) and they probably wouldn't do it , but is that technically feasible with Dubnyk's contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad