Confirmed with Link: Dubnyk + 2022 7th to San Jose for 2022 5th (50% salary retained)

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
If Melnichuk shows he's NHL-quality and Dubnyk sucks, can the Sharks waive Dubnyk and send him to the Barracuda for a reduction in cap hit? Wouldn't save very much ($150,000) and they probably wouldn't do it , but is that technically feasible with Dubnyk's contract?
Actually saves over 200K, and yeah that is a move they can make.

Edit: nvm, you are right it is 150K.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cas

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This won’t catch on because no one who can actually afford to go to Sharks games reads HFboards, but if Nabby does the impossible and somehow fixes both Dubnyk and Jones we need to have a Nabby chant again at the tank

If Nabby can turn Jones and Dubnyk around, we need to petition Hasso to can DW and give Nabby the job.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I'm feeling we trade an asset for Seattle to take Jones but I could be wrong. Is Vlasic a full NMC? Would love to ship him to Seattle if not Jones

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
Not sure why we need to do this when we already have a guy our GM traded an NHL player and a 1st for, who was later signed by the same GM to a long term deal.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Not sure why we need to do this when we already have a guy our GM traded an NHL player and a 1st for, who was later signed by the same GM to a long term deal.

With all the back to backs next year it makes sense to roll with a 1a/1b tandem but DW wants to get head of the game and roll with a 5b/6a and be a trend setter.

Reactions: Saskatoon

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I still say it would have made more sense to just keep Dell

Though this may be a huge boon for Jones' confidence, he finally gets to play in a tandem where he can confidently feel he is the superior goalie

Will be weird seeing a Sharks goalie without a number in the 30's for the first time in awhile. Niemi/Jones 31, Stalock 32, Dell 30, Reimer/Grosenick 34. Think it's been since Greiss in 2013 that we have had a goalie appear in a game not wearing a 30-something jersey number hah.

-----
Dubnyk: YO ANTTI!

Suomela: *looks around sheepishly*. . . Me?

Dubnyk: Yeah, punk bitch, I'm taking your jersey number and your lunch money, motherf***er!

Suomela: *sigh*. . . I miss the minors
-----

Also, why can't we find a backup who's name is spelled correctly?

Aron

Devan

Jesus Christ people, read a book

On the real, stupid move, but at least they payed basically nothing

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
If Melnichuk shows he's NHL-quality and Dubnyk sucks, can the Sharks waive Dubnyk and send him to the Barracuda for a reduction in cap hit? Wouldn't save very much ($150,000) and they probably wouldn't do it , but is that technically feasible with Dubnyk's contract?
I thought about this more, and actually, if Dubnyk struggles to this degree, he will likely retire, which would wipe the whole cap hit.

If he can't succeed here he is not getting another contract, and he real money salary is only 2.5M, so he likely wont play in the AHL for that.

Reactions: Sandisfan

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
No way we do the dance for 4 years. If he cant come back with all the time off and nabby hes not coming back

They only need to do it for 2 more, and they're clearly already attempting to soften the landing by looking for goalies they view as "established former starter" types as platoons like Dubnyk

I bet if Jones crashes and burns again this season they push hard to trade him next offseason either in a dump or by sweetening the pot for Seattle like trading them Labanc for a 7th if they take Jones in the draft

If they really can't move him by then they probably just get another stopgap like Dubnyk for next season and prepare to buyout Jones after that season

But that's just me trying to think logically, I just don't see a world where paying a Jones buyout penalty through 2027 is feasible for a cap team that's trying to compete

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I thought about this more, and actually, if Dubnyk struggles to this degree, he will likely retire, which would wipe the whole cap hit.

If he can't succeed here he is not getting another contract, and he real money salary is only 2.5M, so he likely wont play in the AHL for that.

Would he retire if all he had to do was show up, say "I'm ready to play if you want me," and then go sit in the press box? Players obviously do just that sometimes, but I don't think you can count on someone turning down a million dollars over three months if that's the last big paycheck they're going to get. I'd assume you have to deal with the cap hit and only hope for retirement getting you out of it as a bonus.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Honest question though. If we are a bottom feeder again next year is it even worth it to buy out Jones? We would have to be looking at a rebuild at that point right? If we missed the playoffs but were competitive than I can see value in buying him out but if we are gonna suck no matter what then I would rather just get through the cap hit as quickly as possible

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Why would you retire, a few months before that contract ends? You would still be throwing away 2.5 million (i know less depending on how late into the season.)

But still sit in the press box and receive the few extra 100,000's and then sail into the sunset at the end of the year.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
The deal is a lot better than expected, but I still think the duo of Jones and Dubnyk looks terrible right now.

Hopefully, Nabby can work with him and whatever bothered him can be found to correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad