Confirmed with Link: Dubnyk + 2022 7th to San Jose for 2022 5th (50% salary retained)

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Hated the idea of bringing in Dubnyk...

Hate it slightly less with the salary retention. Hoping Jones and Dubnyk buck the trend and return to some form, but I'm definitely not expecting it or holding my breath.

Reactions: themelkman

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If Nabby wanted Dubynk I'm fine with this. The 50% retention makes this an incredibly low risk move.

It is about an extra million in cap hit in a time where every penny counts.

It all depends on what DW's next moves are. If he really isn't looking to get in on the UFA market, then the Sharks should have room to spare and this move really has no downside.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Not sure why we need to do this when we already have a guy our GM traded an NHL player and a 1st for, who was later signed by the same GM to a long term deal.
Have to think it's more for Donato than it is for Dubnyk. Probably also building a relationship with a gm who owes us after how he did as a player lol

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

It all depends on what DW's next moves are. If he really isn't looking to get in on the UFA market, then the Sharks should have room to spare and this move really has no downside.

Who could the Sharks have brought in for 1.2M as a backup? Unless you mean Melnichuk and there is no evidence he's ready for NHL duties yet. Korenar doesn't look ready either.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
He lost his job to having his wife almost die...

As for the trade, meh. It's fine I guess.

His wife, while what ever happened is terrible, had nothing to do with him losing his job. He lost his job because he was terrible and Stalock was better.

He played 14 games before his wife fell ill and had an .890 save percentage. He played 15 games after and had an .888 save percentage. His obvious decline started 3 years ago. It's more likely that's just the quality of goaltender he is at this stage.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Extra million compared to what? The comparison in UFA was likely Elliott (who signed before hitting the market anyway) and he got $1.5 million as a sub-.900 to be the backup in Philly. So in that case it's about $600k too much although I think Dubnyk is likely a better goalie than Elliott at this juncture.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
His wife, while what ever happened is terrible, had nothing to do with him losing his job. He lost his job because he was terrible and Stalock was better.

He played 14 games before his wife fell ill and had an .890 save percentage. He played 15 games after and had an .888 save percentage. His obvious decline started 3 years ago. It's more likely that's just the quality of goaltender he is at this stage.
He has 14 games before his wife’s illness was announced. This is just an ignorant take. You have no idea when it started or what it even is. None of us do. Trying to understand what’s going on with his wife with the very limited details we have is dumb and shouldn’t be done. Only two things that you can say are that Dubnyk’s wife fell ill and almost passed in the middle of the season and that she is now doing better (no idea how much better). Anyone trying to make assumptions based on last season acting like there weren’t external factors affecting his play are ignorant.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
He has 14 games before his wife’s illness was announced. This is just an ignorant take. You have no idea when it started or what it even is. None of us do. Trying to understand what’s going on with his wife with the very limited details we have is dumb and shouldn’t be done. Only two things that you can say are that Dubnyk’s wife fell ill and almost passed in the middle of the season and that she is now doing better (no idea how much better). Anyone trying to make assumptions based on last season acting like there weren’t external factors affecting his play are ignorant.

Well that's wrong. Literally the only thing we know about it is it was sudden, there were no warning and it started November 19th. She collapsed and started having a "Medical emergency" that went on for a few months. I'm sure the rest of the season was awful for Dubnyk emotionally, and i'm not speculating on anything related to that.

It's a fact that in the 14 games before his wife suddenly became ill more or less mirrored his terrible season numbers.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Well that's wrong. Literally the only thing we know about it is it was sudden, there were no warning and it started November 19th. She collapsed and started having a "Medical emergency" that went on for a few months. I'm sure the rest of the season was awful for Dubnyk emotionally, and i'm not speculating on anything related to that.

It's a fact that in the 14 games before his wife suddenly became ill more or less mirrored his terrible season numbers.
You don’t think his wife had symptoms before? Do you know that for a fact? Were you there?

Reactions: Sandisfan

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
Feel bad for Nabby.

I hope he is a man with very particular set of skills because this is essentially Wilson to Nabby with this tandem.

thumb_good-luck-memegenerator-net-good-luck-liam-neeson-taken-meme-52714112.png

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
If the Sharks didn't make a trade for Dubnyk, what other options are there they could make to get a good goalie in San Jose without costing an arm and a leg?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If the Sharks didn't make a trade for Dubnyk, what other options are there they could make to get a good goalie in San Jose without costing an arm and a leg?

Literally anyone if you're looking at advanced metrics. This was mostly done because they know he can be a starter in terms of workload if he's playing like he usually does. Even with the advanced numbers being what they would be. For next season in a condensed schedule, they put a focus on that for good reason but they likely identified the wrong person. Dell could've done what they're going to ask Dubnyk to do next season and done it better and probably for a cheaper price. The one caveat I would put on this though is that I'm of the belief that this is what it cost the Sharks to get Donato for a 3rd. If that's indeed the case then I'm alright with this because getting forward depth on the cheap is where the team has the biggest need to improve and did so in this pair of deals.

Reactions: themelkman

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
The best part about the dubnyk deal is the term. We probably could have gotten someone better in FA but would have been stuck with several years if it didn't work out. This might be better for us long term

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
The best part about the dubnyk deal is the term. We probably could have gotten someone better in FA but would have been stuck with several years if it didn't work out. This might be better for us long term
Just thought about this. Even if the sharks arent feeling Korenar or Melni. We can easily scoop a goalie in the expansion draft from a team like columbus who wont want to give a goalie up for free, and will now know the pitfalls of paying to protect

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I hope at the very least adding Dubynk allows Jones to improve his game. Given his workload over the past few seasons it seems that may have been leading to his poor play.

And if Nabby really believes Dubynk is the guy he wants to work with I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->