Confirmed with Link: Dubnyk + 2022 7th to San Jose for 2022 5th (50% salary retained)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
So we have $10m to re-sign Labanc, a depth defenseman, and another top 6/9 player. And maybe Thornton and Marleau. I don't know if we can get a legit top 6 forward with that space. We would definitely need to get rid of Sorensen at the minimum.
Right. I think getting rid of Sorensen is close to a must right now. That would give us 11.5M in space.

I expect Labanc gets 3M unless he decides to do us a favor again. I think Jumbo gets re-signed because we have no one ready for 3C duties. I am guessing @ 1M. Not really sure if they re-sign Patty or not. So that leaves us with only 7.5M to sign a bottom-pairing RD (or just call up DeSimone) and a top-6 F in FA or via trade. It can certainly be done.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Will be weird seeing a Sharks goalie without a number in the 30's for the first time in awhile. Niemi/Jones 31, Stalock 32, Dell 30, Reimer/Grosenick 34. Think it's been since Greiss in 2013 that we have had a goalie appear in a game not wearing a 30-something jersey number hah.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
What a waste of cap space, we're about to spend at minimum 7 million in cap space for the worst goalie tandem in the league, and now have a little more than 10 million dollars to improve a forward core that was bottom 5 in the league in scoring.

Reactions: Dicdonya

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Right. I think getting rid of Sorensen is close to a must right now. That would give us 11.5M in space.

I expect Labanc gets 3M unless he decides to do us a favor again. I think Jumbo gets re-signed because we have no one ready for 3C duties. I am guessing @ 1M. Not really sure if they re-sign Patty or not. So that leaves us with only 7.5M to sign a bottom-pairing RD (or just call up DeSimone) and a top-6 F in FA or via trade. It can certainly be done.
Bet Thornton and Marleau both take $700k league min deals. No difference to those guys in league min versus $1 mil and it gives not only the Sharks, but also any team they may be dealt to at the TDL that much more cap flexibility.

Reactions: Erep

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

This also doesn't account for Noesen. I'd love to bring him back but might be easier said than done at this rate. If I had to pick between him and Marleau, I'd probably go with Noesen.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
This also doesn't account for Noesen. I'd love to bring him back but might be easier said than done at this rate. If I had to pick between him and Marleau, I'd probably go with Noesen.

I would 100% go with Noesen at this point

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
No doubt. I would go with Noesen as well. To me, he is a really good 4th line winger who can help out on the 3rd line in a pinch. I would fine moving on from Jumbo as well but the truth is we have no one on our roster who can step into the 3C role.
There will be a higher number of strokes among Sharks fans after watching them play.
Yep. I already had one but gave myself a mulligan.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
No doubt. I would go with Noesen as well. To me, he is a really good 4th line winger who can help out on the 3rd line in a pinch. I would fine moving on from Jumbo as well but the truth is we have no one on our roster who can step into the 3C role.

Yep. I already had one but gave myself a mulligan.
Yea, I would say that I'd be happy if we could grab a middle 6 3C over a top 6 winger just because of that Jumbo sized hole we have there. Stastny would be a nice target if it weren't for the fact that he was in the division and I doubt Vegas would be that interested in trading with us.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I don't think they have to pick between Marleau and Noesen. If they trade Sorensen and a pick for Killorn, they add about three to their cap figure. They'd just need Marleau, Thornton, Noesen, and whoever else may be a winger in their bottom six to come in at about a mil a piece.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Will be weird seeing a Sharks goalie without a number in the 30's for the first time in awhile. Niemi/Jones 31, Stalock 32, Dell 30, Reimer/Grosenick 34. Think it's been since Greiss in 2013 that we have had a goalie appear in a game not wearing a 30-something jersey number hah.

What an odd observation. I was thinking it has been a while since we’ve had a goalie wearing Bauer pads. I was excited to finally see Brian’s when Dell was playing (my personal fav)...

Anyway... here’s to the weirdos!

c6b0906562a1880655b9eccadc696a03.gif

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
So, we now have a 2.16 mil backup goaltender who lost his job to Alex Stalock? Hoping to eat crow on this, but a puzzling move by DW.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
So, we now have a 2.16 mil backup goaltender who lost his job to Alex Stalock? Hoping to eat crow on this, but a puzzling move by DW.
He lost his job to having his wife almost die...

As for the trade, meh. It's fine I guess.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Assuming Dubnyk at $2.167 million, Labanc at $3 million, Marleau, Thornton, Noesen, and Middleton* at $700,000 each, and DeSimone* as 6/7 defenseman, and running 13 forwards (Gambrell, Gregor, and Kellman up, Bergmann, Blichfeld, Händemark, and True down), and no other moves, the Sharks have $5.45 million available.

(* These players are essentially placeholders.)

If you can trade Sorensen for non-roster parts, you have nearly $7 million available.

Meier-Couture-New Guy
Kane-Hertl-Labanc
Donato-Thornton-Gregor
Marleau-Kellman-Noesen
Gambrell

Simek-Burns
Vlasic-Karlsson
Ferraro-DeSimone
Middleton

Jones
Dubnyk

Bergmann-Händemark-Blichfeld
Knyzhov-Merkley
Melnichuk

It's tight, and depends on how much Labanc and Thornton are willing to sign for, but the Sharks should have enough money to sign/trade for a top six forward. They may not be able to find a sixth defenseman better than Tim Heed and they'll still have to rely on at least two young forwards and Labanc performing.

Last edited:

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Nabby better know what he's doing. Does he think this is a video game and he wants to play on hard mode? "I will fix the 2 worst goalies and prove I am a great coach".

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad