Dubas was at the Calgary/NYR game

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Replacing Gards with Shattenkirk is a downgrade. Shatty is literally terrible right now.

Debatable. Surely adding Shatty to our RS is not a downgrade. Dregs also mentioned that Rangers asked for Kappy last year when Leafs inquired about a dman. Lots of possibilities when it comes to a potential deal with the Rangers. Does one get done? I doubt it.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Why not ask them to include the Empire State Building while you are at it ?
Where would we put it? Financial or Distillery District? Somewhere on Bay street, or, somewhere along the waterfront?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I’d take Matt Tkachuk + for Nylander all day every day
I meant in pieces that the flames would offer for trade. Guys like kylington,dube, bennett, andersson etc would not be appealing at all in a nylander deal. The tkachuck deal would be amazing but we would need to add and I dont see how we avoid the same thing with tkachuck in terms of cap issues as he will be looking for a huge payday for next season as well.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I meant in pieces that the flames would offer for trade. Guys like kylington,dube, bennett, andersson etc would not be appealing at all in a nylander deal. The tkachuck deal would be amazing but we would need to add and I dont see how we avoid the same thing with tkachuck in terms of cap issues as he will be looking for a huge payday for next season as well.

The problem with Nylander is not that the Leafs are unwilling to pay him big money. It's that Nylander is asking for a ridiculous amount of money that he has in no way earned and he is not willing to come down to a more reasonable number, and the Leafs are never going to give him it because then it also increases Marner's and Matthews' numbers as well. Even with the cap inflation taken into account (which it shouldn't be, but that's a separate issue), the only way Nylander earns a number even starting with a 7 is if he goes for 8 years. That would still be an overpayment for what he's done. If he is asking for 8 mill a year for any deal, it's entirely on him for keeping this deal from getting done.

Unless Tkachuk is feeling the same way as Nylander and asks for ridiculous money himself, there would not be a problem keeping him any more than keeping Nylander at a reasonable number. Plus it would be possible for the Leafs to handle Marner and Matthews' deals first and then taking care of Tkachuk.

If it was Nylander for Tkachuk with small adds on either side, I would consider it. Especially if the Leafs can't get a young, top 4 RD out of him. It's even arguable that the Leafs could need Tkachuk more, because they have good RD in the system coming up (i.e. Liljegren) than guys like Tkachuk (although Grundstrom would be a decent knock-off). The Rangers have nothing of note to offer the Leafs, unless they fall in love with an aging winger who likely won't stick around for all that long, Skjei or futures like Andersson, Kravtsov or 1st round picks. That's pretty much all they have to offer us, and it's not really any more competitive than any team in the league could offer us.

daner

Feb 18, 2009
I’d trade nylander for tkachuk (Brady or Matthew) any day. I’d trade Marner for either also. The tkachuk’s are the type of heart and soul players this team needs and their energy, passion and toughness are exactly what this team, or any team needs.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'm not sure how sold I am on Skjei yet, and Kreider would be a very underwhelming main piece coming back. As for the UFAs, I agree. Zucc is a piece that you add to a bigger deal as a short-term replacement for Willy, but should be nowhere near the main piece.

I think that's an underrated piece of the picture at this point. If you put any stock into the reports of long term deals being out of the picture then the evaluation frame for trading him shifts dramatically, becoming pretty much trade him now vs. have him for his bridge deal+ trade him when it's over. Two very different but key value points to that alternative:

Willy for this season + 1-2 more at a good cap hit helping the team now
+
The return when he is traded when we can't afford him (that would be highly variable, but most history suggests some sort of package of younger NHL ready pieces/ picks/ prospects

If a deal now could address/ top both of those it becomes a viable option

Zuccarello with 2-3 year extension in hand
+
Some combo of Howden/Chytil/Andersson/Kravstov/Lundqvist/Miller/Hajek/1st (one bold + 1 underlined)

it would be worthy of consideration

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Kreider +K'andre miller+ Tampa's 1st in 2019 plus Skeiji is what i would ask from the rangers for Nylander

Nothing on the flames that they would deal is intruging to me for a nylander deal.

lol that Rangers deal is awful for them

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Also, why do I keep seeing Henrik Lundqvist's name?

Dude has two more seasons at 8.5M. He doesn't fit. Even if the Rangers retained 50%, it doesn't make sense

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs recent play has ignited action on Dubas part.

Lewis Gross resides in NY so its logical if Nylander would fly to Switzerland to meet Nylander in person that he would also be willing to fly to NY to see his agent.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Maybe Dubas needed to stop at Times Square and pick up a few pounds of chocolate (for his wife) at the Hershey's mega store...

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
We can assume that Dubas was talking to Gross about the Nylander contract situation. Even if it was brief, or even if Dubas was scouting for a trade, it still seems reasonable that they did talk.

That still tells us something. It's not much, but it does mean they're still talking. So the business in Zurich was not a 'final offer' type situation. They're still working on a deal.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I don't think this is Nylander related to be honest even though that's the one assumption everyone wants to make. It just seems weird that Dubas would fly all the way to Zurich just for one day to tell Nylander that he's not gonna trade him and that he's a part of long term plans then be working on a trade literally the same week. The one caveat of course is if Dubas went there and came to the conclusion that the situation is not salvageable and then decided it's best to try and trade him.
He's in NY for Nylander reasons.
He went to a game while he was there. It does not seem like it's Nylander related. Just went to a game while in NY.

Reactions: Menzinger

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
We can assume that Dubas was talking to Gross about the Nylander contract situation. Even if it was brief, or even if Dubas was scouting for a trade, it still seems reasonable that they did talk.

That still tells us something. It's not much, but it does mean they're still talking. So the business in Zurich was not a 'final offer' type situation. They're still working on a deal.
I hear they're talking again today.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He's in NY for Nylander reasons.
He went to a game while he was there. It does not seem like it's Nylander related. Just went to a game while in NY.
Posted that before word came out about his agent being there and Dubas meeting with him. I still stick with my stance though that Dubas isn't looking at a Nylander trade and will re-sign him. He may be interested in other pieces from NYR though.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Posted that before word came out about his agent being there and Dubas meeting with him. I still stick with my stance though that Dubas isn't looking at a Nylander trade and will re-sign him. He may be interested in other pieces from NYR though.
Agreed.

May just be looking because Rangers will be sellers at the TDL.
They may have interest in someone who will be made available.
It would be a small trade I would think. Nothing big or even Nylander big.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I’d trade nylander for tkachuk (Brady or Matthew) any day. I’d trade Marner for either also. The tkachuk’s are the type of heart and soul players this team needs and their energy, passion and toughness are exactly what this team, or any team needs.
id take Jacob chychryn and perlini off Arizona

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Seems likely the Gross meeting was the main event, and this in game viewing is likely just a opportunity that arose due to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad