Dubas was at the Calgary/NYR game

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
3 years 5 million per is fine, but for me the writing is on the wall that William Nylander will not be a Maple Leaf once a contract like that expires.

The same was even more true of 6 year deal. At least with 3 we have RFA rights and can still use Matthews/Marner as caps (at least for short/ mid length deals)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You be lucky to get Tkachuk for Nylander 1 for 1 but you want Flames to add. Sure.

The guy in Calgary is the less talented more ratty of the 2 brothers, he is at best an elite rat and at worst a locker room cancer. I got no interest in guys like him on the team I cheer for, he's more ratty and much less talented than Marchand.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Of course we all want our team to get the best value. I personally think it is clear that the Flames do not prefer Nylander's skill over Tkachuk's crash and bang and hence why Leafs would need to sweeten the deal.

On Willies worst day he is more impactfull than Tkachuk is on his best.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Wonder what it would cost to get Pesce and Faulk out of Carolina? I mean it would revamp our D line up. And we could move Gards for a top forward to play on the Matthews or Tavares line.

Pesce AND Faulk? Canes would then have Hamilton and TVR and ??? on the RHD side. Can't see them moving both as it would then take a team strength and move it to a weakness. Not very realistic.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The guy in Calgary is the less talented more ratty of the 2 brothers, he is at best an elite rat and at worst a locker room cancer. I got no interest in guys like him on the team I cheer for, he's more ratty and much less talented than Marchand.

We need an elite rat more than an elite RWer who is sitting out. In fact, MT is exactly what this team is missing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

MK scored more goals than WM last year.

No use discussing this any further though because Calgary is not dealing the Leafs Tkachuk any time soon and not for Nylander, of that much I'm fairly certain.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Usually, you never get near the value for a player the entire league knows you have to trade. The Leafs having to pay AM is going to make things tight. Hainsey is gone so there is some money. They can buy out Marleau and Horton next year which can save some coin. Personally, I do think a trade with NYR and the Leafs will go down.

Something like Buchnevich, Pionk and Spooner or Buchnevich, Pionk and McQuaid. Spooner and McQuaid are UFA's next year. First trade gives Toronto depth on the wings. Second gives them 2 right handed defenseman.

Personally, I think Pionk is going to be really good. He would be a big loss to the Rangers D but you have to give to get. I see a lot of Stralman in him just about when Stralman was starting to become really good in NY. He can also play the PP quite well when he gets time. He's just figuring out the league. Buchnevich should be a 50 point wing. He can get a little lazy. However, I also think he would play better with skilled players. I never liked him but they love him on the Rangers board. I would think Buchnevich and Pionk would both sign 2 year bridge deals as RFA's next year for less than 3 million.

I like Nylander but I also think he was a product of a couple of guys he played with. Two years ago he got most of his points on the PP. Last year he was a ton better at even strength. He's a good player. I don't think he's a great player. He has some intangibles to his game but not a crazy amount.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Dubas is absolutely not stupid enough to make major decisions about the organization based on two bad games.

Willy wouldn't have made any difference in the results as Leafs need players with more compete level not more skill.

Nylander however unsigned is a constant distraction to the team which is impacting the team the longer it drags on, and the more likely this turns bitter as the deadline to sign approaches.

You have to give props to Dubas he is flying all over the world meeting with the player and their agent in an effort to get a resolution. Usually the GM sits at home and has the player and agent come to them during this types of RFA signings. Dubas chasing them is what I was referring to earlier instead of simply sitting in the ivory tower waiting for Nylander to change his position and come to the table.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Usually, you never get near the value for a player the entire league knows you have to trade. The Leafs having to pay AM is going to make things tight. Hainsey is gone so there is some money. They can buy out Marleau and Horton next year which can save some coin. Personally, I do think a trade with NYR and the Leafs will go down.

Something like Buchnevich, Pionk and Spooner or Buchnevich, Pionk and McQuaid. Spooner and McQuaid are UFA's next year. First trade gives Toronto depth on the wings. Second gives them 2 right handed defenseman.

Personally, I think Pionk is going to be really good. He would be a big loss to the Rangers D but you have to give to get. I see a lot of Stralman in him just about when Stralman was starting to become really good in NY. He can also play the PP quite well when he gets time. He's just figuring out the league. Buchnevich should be a 50 point wing. He can get a little lazy. However, I also think he would play better with skilled players. I never liked him but they love him on the Rangers board. I would think Buchnevich and Pionk would both sign 2 year bridge deals as RFA's next year for less than 3 million.

I like Nylander but I also think he was a product of a couple of guys he played with. Two years ago he got most of his points on the PP. Last year he was a ton better at even strength. He's a good player. I don't think he's a great player. He has some intangibles to his game but not a crazy amount.

Patrick Marleau Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

No buy-out for Marleau.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
It is almost as if Dubas likes watching hockey so when he is going somewhere for a meeting he will catch a game for fun... what a POS enjoying the sport we all love..

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The fact he only has a little over 1M in actual salary after his bonus is paid makes him trade-able. Of course, this is only if he has any inclination to waive his NMC. Some teams need low-salary, high cap-hit players to hit the cap floor at a low cost.

That has been the speculation ... he'll take his signing bonus, the Leafs will trade him and an asset and he'll retire.

Unless of course he loves playing for the Leafs and still has the burn.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
That has been the speculation ... he'll take his signing bonus, the Leafs will trade him and an asset and he'll retire.

Unless of course he loves playing for the Leafs and still has the burn.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't the Leafs stay on the hook for his cap if he retires, even if he retires on another team. Something about 25+ contracts and it always falling on the team who signed him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad