News Article: Dubas: unlikely Matthews and Marner would sign an extension before Oct. 3

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Actually the media is the problem.
Keep being the media saver though.

Is it right for the media to try and rile up fans? Maybe. Maybe not.

But if fans lets themselves be riled up by the media, that's pathetic.

Grow up, think for yourself, and take responsibility for your own actions and reactions.

Reactions: hotpaws

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
If Dubas somehow signed both of them during the season, I would be beyond ecstatic. I tend to be somewhat biased when it comes to our stars, but they are special. Matthews was a point above PPG last year dealing with multiple injuries, black hole offensively in Hyman, a bad PP unit and Nylander who for like what, half the season, shot 4% OiSH? Playing with Marleau instead of Hyman, an even average shooting Nylander and a PP with arguably the best PP player in the league (Marner) AND TAVARES (as well as a 60 point D in Rielly)? You can't even be serious to think he won't destroy his PPG from last year. That puts him in potential 100 point a season territory, which brings him in to the 10-12 mill range. If Dubas signs him (as well as Marner because we all know he's going to absolutely explode with Tavares), then Dubas needs a statue outside of the ACC.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
not a fan of Miller but he's not wrong
It would have to be a 4 1st round draft pick thing in order for the Leafs not to match.
Since we are already agreed Matthews will get at least 10 million, nobody is offering anything less than 4 1st compensation.

That leaves Marner. Between 8-10 is 2 1sts a 2nd and a 3rd. And Marner has to want to sign which I believe of the 3, would be the least likely. For the same reasons Tavares wanted Toronto.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It would have to be a 4 1st round draft pick thing in order for the Leafs not to match.
Since we are already agreed Matthews will get at least 10 million, nobody is offering anything less than 4 1st compensation.

That leaves Marner. Between 8-10 is 2 1sts a 2nd and a 3rd. And Marner has to want to sign which I believe of the 3, would be the least likely. For the same reasons Tavares wanted Toronto.
i could see many teams not having a problem giving up that compensation but i also don't see a team offering a number we won't match

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Hey, does everyone remember when McDavid came to Toronto when he was a RFA? Yeh, neither do I. The way these guys write, you'd figure the deadline was a couple of weeks. With Matthews, a team would have to give him a tonne of money and 4 first round picks to the Leafs and even then, the Leafs would likely match. Marner would be the only one that the Leafs would have a chance of losing since someone could pay him like Matthews and the Leafs might not match in that instance and take the 4 first rounders. Marner would then have the decision to make as to whether he wants to sign or not. Go for the money or go for the glory. Either way, the Leafs make due with Tavares, Matthews and Nylander and 4 unprotected first rounders and with the crapshow going on in Ottawa with them trading their first, it might scare people off. You never know what could happen trading all those first round picks. You could end up giving the Leafs lottery picks. It's not the best scenario but certainly not the worst either.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
i could see many teams not having a problem giving up that compensation but i also don't see a team offering a number we won't match
Depending on the team, 4 unprotected 1st round picks could absolutely kill your franchise. Even the Oilers missed with McDavid. It’s a huge risk. We paid for years with just the 2 we gave up for Kessel.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Leafs GM Kyle Dubas turns the page on old-school hockey traditions | The Star
But in the NHL, talent comes with problems. Nylander was unsigned as of press time. That deal, and contract extensions for Matthews and Marner, will shape this team’s future as much as anything short of health.

“It’s the massive part of it,” says Dubas. “I think that in the end, when you look all throughout sports, the players want to stay in a place where they feel like they are having their potential maximized, that they have a chance to win, and that they enjoy coming to every day. This is my first year in this world, being able to develop my own version of it, like Lou had his, and Dave Nonis had his before that, and so on and so forth."

“But that’s going to be a major thing. So if the players want to make it work here, we have to build a program that they want to be a part of. And then I also think that there are advantages to being in Toronto, which can mitigate some of the other losses that they may take versus what they think their market value is worth.”

Sales job, eh? Make them believe. What about once they’re signed?

“Well, I think that the pressure goes to me,” Dubas says, “as it should.”

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If Marner goes off, bridge him. Let him prove he can repeat it for a couple years.

IMO this is the guy you bridge, not Nylander.
Yeah let’s. Bridge the guy who could lead the NHL in scoring and not the guy who plays afraid. We should commit long term to a guy who is afraid but not to a guy who can win the Art Ross. That seems backwards even typing it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There is no way that's going to happen and Dubas will make sure of it.

Plus the media said the same thing about Leon Draisaitl before he signed his extension with the Oilers, since all the other teams knew Connor McDavid was their #1 priority and there was no offer sheet ever given to Draisaitl.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Again, people: the player has to actually ACCEPT the offer sheet. None of these guys are going to torpedo the team like that.

Offer sheets are accepted when an impasse has gotten to the point where the player wants to leave, and this is their way of forcing hands.

Dubas is playing this exactly as he should be: knowing he has all the leverage and negotiating power, trying to get Nylander for as cheap as he can on a long-term deal, to not only set up the team well contract-wise but to also send a message to Matthews'/Marner's camps that he's okay with going down this road again next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad