News Article: Dubas: unlikely Matthews and Marner would sign an extension before Oct. 3

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
This is foolish.

What does Marner need to prove he can do again that Nylander doesn't? He's performed better playing with worse linemates. He was pretty much carrying the Bozak line at even strength, and then arguably became the best player on the team when he changed lines. How is Nylander more deserving of a long-time contract at this point?

Marner was also easily better than Nylander and even Matthews during the past two playoffs, especially against Boston when he lit the spark for the team while Matthews and Nylander were struggling. Marner has consistently elevated the play of those around him and put in more big-game performances than Nylander has.

Nylander has spent the last two seasons with Matthews and Marner has still outscored him. Now he's going to be playing with Tavares. So we're going to negotiate with Marner after he possibly becomes a 90+ point player rather than now when his value isn't as high? Smart.

Marner has been better than Nylander thus far and has the higher ceiling. Your view baffles me.
Even the analytics say Nylander and Marner are similar players. FYI Nylander is much better than Marner at zone exits and causing neutral zone turnovers than Marner.

Also Nylander played less PP time and higher QOC. Nylander makes effortless ( going at top speed) strides while Marner looks like he's on redbull. Both are superstar players and Leafs will be keeping both.

People need to cut the Marner > Nylander crap out. They are on the same tier.​

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
At least if sports doesn't work out for the members of the Toronto sports media they can always transition to being fear mongers in other industries.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Leafs Lunch host Andi Petrillo with Gord Miller & Mike Johnson are joined by TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger who brings up a scary subject for Toronto Maple Leafs’ management and fans – the possibility that Mitch Marner and/or Auston Matthews could be offer-sheeted by other teams.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/dreger-leafs-management-are-terrified-marner-gets-offer-sheeted~1500619

Dreger's clickbaity-ness is getting out of hand, it's nothing but fear mongering about player contracts in Canadian markets to get fans riled up. I can barely take him seriously anymore.

Reactions: DanM

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Do people think that an offer sheet will never be used again? Ever?

I'm not saying that MM or AM will for sure get one.

But we may be a prime target in 10-12 months.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Any player that signs an offer sheet is okay with leaving his team. I don't see either of them wanting out.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

You can't be targeted by an offer sheet! You can dump a truck of papers on an RFA's doorstep and they have no effect unless the guy picks one up and signs it.

Do I think Marner or Matthews will sign contracts to leave a consistent playoff team and contender? No I do not. It is absolutely fear mongering to throw around the prospect of offer sheets.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
You can't be targeted by an offer sheet! You can dump a truck of papers on an RFA's doorstep and they have no effect unless the guy picks one up and signs it.

Do I think Marner or Matthews will sign contracts to leave a consistent playoff team and contender? No I do not. It is absolutely fear mongering to throw around the prospect of offer sheets.
Especially to suggest that the guy who said, point-blank, "We can and will [sign all 3 RFAs]" is "terrified" of an offer-sheet. Gimme a break.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Leafs Lunch host Andi Petrillo with Gord Miller & Mike Johnson are joined by TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger who brings up a scary subject for Toronto Maple Leafs’ management and fans – the possibility that Mitch Marner and/or Auston Matthews could be offer-sheeted by other teams.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/dreger-leafs-management-are-terrified-marner-gets-offer-sheeted~1500619
That was a pathetic segment, particularly Miller. He said Lou really has it in for the Leafs now. Oh really? Kyle was on 590 the other day and said Lou still gives him advice and they talk often. Like at least do your effing homework guys before spewing nonsense. File this discussion under GGG.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

I hate dreger so so much. He has zero sources and uses his own speculation as fact.

Leafs management isn't worried at all about offer sheets. Not one stitch.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008

What would be the compensation coming back if they were both offer-sheeted by teams? 8 1st round picks?

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
It makes sense from the player's POV not to sign a contract knowing they have more to give and and produce. Marner, in particular, has to be very aware that this season will determine the size of his next contract.

I think Matthews is just waiting it out to see what kind of contract Nylander and Marner get because he doesn't seem like the type to want to rock the boat -- he knows he's going to get his, and waiting it out helps the team a little bit. The endorsements he's getting, especially in the US, will also help.

The team will be fine going forward. They can and they will sign all three of them.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

They'll continue to be rare, but an offer sheet will obviously happen again, though one may not be successful for a longer time than that.

Too many things have to line up as the offer has to be enough that: a) the player signs it, b) the team might be in tough to match, and possibly c) the compensation received for not matching is worthwhile. There's also that the better teams are less likely to have the cap space needed, and the teams with the space might not be the best suited to be offering them due to the potential pick quality. Plenty of variables. 8 vs 7 year terms probably doesn't help offer sheets either.

Last edited:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
It makes sense from the player's POV not to sign a contract knowing they have more to give and and produce. Marner, in particular, has to be very aware that this season will determine the size of his next contract.

I think Matthews is just waiting it out to see what kind of contract Nylander and Marner get because he doesn't seem like the type to want to rock the boat -- he knows he's going to get his, and waiting it out helps the team a little bit. The endorsements he's getting, especially in the US, will also help.

The team will be fine going forward. They can and they will sign all three of them.

Matthews should be the easiest to sign. He's 10-11. Unless they are trying to low ball him.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Matthews should be the easiest to sign. He's 10-11. Unless they are trying to low ball him.
Oh for sure. I worded that badly -- I think Matthews is just waiting to sign because he knows he's getting paid whereas Marner and Nylander know they are going to be second (third?) fiddle in the line-up.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Oh for sure. I worded that badly -- I think Matthews is just waiting to sign because he knows he's getting paid whereas Marner and Nylander know they are going to be second (third?) fiddle in the line-up.

The fact that he won't sign or that they offered and he's holding out tells ya either that the leafs are not offering what I suggested or that he feels what they are offering is clearly not enough.

So that's kind of annoying either way.

Did the Leafs offer 10-11 and Matty is saying "no thanks I'm worth more"?

Did the Leafs low ball him and offer 9?

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
The fact that he won't sign or that they offered and he's holding out tells ya either that the leafs are not offering what I suggested or that he feels what they are offering is clearly not enough.

So that's kind of annoying either way.

Did the Leafs offer 10-11 and Matty is saying "no thanks I'm worth more"?

Did the Leafs low ball him and offer 9?

I'm not too concerned. I think the difference between Matthews line and Dubas line is probably $1,000,000 or less. That's easy to negotiate. He'll get more than Eichel, but less than McDavid.

The question is whether it is Dubas or Matthews waiting to sign the contract. I think Dubas just wants to focus on Nylander first so that the organization has a better baseline to work with going forward with Marner and Matthews.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Here is the NHL offer sheet compensation chart for 2018.

N8nO6Cf.jpg

Reactions: MyBudJT

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I believe that Nylander and Marner will both be signed to bridge deals and Matthews will be signed long-term. The Leafs will be in a better position to retain both Nylander and Marner for what they are asking for and what they will be worth in 3-4 years when players like Marleau, Horton's contract, Gardiner, Hainsey Reilly, Kadri and Andersen are off their current contracts.

It will give them an opportunity to reshape their core around Tavares and Matthews contracts how they wish. And they will know by then what they have with players like Dermott, Llijgren, Sandin, Kapanen, Bracco, etc...

Also by then if the cap keeps going up by 2-4 million a season, it means that the cap will be closer to 100 million in 3-4 years. More to spend.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Dreger's clickbaity-ness is getting out of hand, it's nothing but fear mongering about player contracts in Canadian markets to get fans riled up. I can barely take him seriously anymore.

If fans get riled up, that's the fault of the fans. Intelligent fans should have already considered and been prepared for all these possibilities anyway.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I’m surprised more teams done offer sheet Ritchie type prospects...

Could probably offer him 1 year at 1.3 and get him for free!

Never understood that one! :laugh: The compensation levels also have a bit of an asterisk next to them IMO in the sense that a six or seven year offer sheet changes them, if I'm not mistaken.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If fans get riled up, that's the fault of the fans. Intelligent fans should have already considered and been prepared for all these possibilities anyway.
Actually the media is the problem.
Keep being the media saver though.

Reactions: Max Money

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
1. Players need to sign the offer sheet
2. Leafs have plenty of time to sign Matthews and Marner for extensions
3. As long as Leafs is winning, they will keep their stars.

To me these offer sheets stuff are just dumb. If you think getting a Superstars to be UFA is hard, having them sign offer sheets is a lot harder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad