News Article: Dubas: unlikely Matthews and Marner would sign an extension before Oct. 3

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Insider Trading: Matthews negotiations still in conception stage - TSN.ca
Matthews negotiations still in conception stage

Dreger: It’s implied there is progress being made. But then you do have to break through that definition. Is there anything imminent? Are they close to a deal between Auston Matthews and the Toronto Maple Leafs and an extension for him? No, they’re not. But as [Kyle] Dubas alerted the media to earlier, yes there has been a good amount of back and forth, including a meeting last week in Toronto where Judd Moldaver, Matthews’s agent, Jeff Jackson, who also represents Auston Matthews, met with Kyle Dubas to discuss some conceptual ideas and that could be in term, maybe it’s a five-year term or the eight-year maximum. The fact they are going back to back and continuing to talk is progressive.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
yep. Marner is now a 100 point player. he won't be getting less than Eichel if at all. which is fine. that's who you should be paying the big money to.

Kucherov is a 100 point player and he just signed for $9.5 million x 8 years .... he's also on pace for around 130 points this year.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Kucherov is a 100 point player and he just signed for $9.5 million x 8 years .... he's also on pace for around 130 points this year.

yeah I think you're forgetting about taxes, for one. For another, if he had been a 130 point player he would have made more so I don't know what your point is there.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

don't mind this one bit to be honest. Matthews' contract would be up for renewal the same time Tavares' contract is done with the Leafs that's 11M extra dollars available that could be split by matthews+marner on top of whatever they were making on their previous contracts

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Insider Trading: Keith's future in Chicago; Marner an offer-sheet target - TSN.ca
Darren, you've mentioned a couple of times that Mitch Marner's camp doesn't want to negotiate a contract extension until the end of the season. Could that pose a real problem for the Leafs?

Dreger: Yeah, an offer-sheet problem. We've speculated on that, specifically to Marner and Auston Matthews. Now, as we've reported, Matthews is getting closer to a contract extension and Darren Ferris, who represents Marner, has made it publicly known that they have no intention of negotiation with the Toronto Maple Leafs until the end of the year. Look, teams around the National Hockey League are hoping that Ferris is a man of his word and that there is negotiation until the end of the season or July 1st. I can tell you that teams are 100 per cent preparing an offer sheet for Mitch Marner. We'll see if it gets to that point. And as we've known, the Leafs have made it abundantly clear that if it does, they will match.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I always think a 5-6yrs deal make sense after players ELC, as in the long run, it benefits the teams and the players. ESP., since salaries keep going up year after year.
Beside I would much rather have Matthews sign his third deal with the Leafs at 27 than 29. Since an 8 yrs max deal(3rd deal) will bring Matthews to 35 instead of 37.

Really going to be interesting to see how Leafsnation will react to Marner wanting more than Kuch. Pretty much most will blame Dubas instead of Marner and his camp despite his agent going to public to say Marner will only think about contract after the season and how his dad said Marner already did the Leafs a favor by not initiating on more bonuses on his ELC contract.
Would be interesting to see if Marner is going to ask more than Rantanen.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

KE19

Jan 30, 2019
Marner 11 x 6
Matthews 11 x 6

Just accept the fact we're going to have to overpay to keep our big guys in town. Matthews will get what he wants since Dubas doesn't want to allow for the possibility of an offer sheet and Marner's camp will be gunning for the exact same deal and will probably get it.

Marner isn't taking any "hometown discount" like many on here have speculated. His father and agent drive a harder bargain than Nylander's camp.

I just hope our cap situation for next season gets resolved ASAP and all the focus can get back to hockey instead of this sideshow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad