News Article: Dubas: unlikely Matthews and Marner would sign an extension before Oct. 3

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Nylander, Matthews, Marner contracts still on Maple Leafs' list

• based on history expects Nylander to miss the camp if deal isn't signed
"We believe that if a player is going to commit that long to a team in a long-term agreement that we want them to be fully comfortable and aware of what they're getting into. And that's the approach that we've taken with them and had good discussions with (Matthews' agent) Judd Moldaver and with (Marner's agent) Darren Ferris, respectively, on Auston and Mitch."

"Everyone's excited for the season ... it's been a very patient process on all parts, and that's more from the team than it is from the players. "

Dubas said the Maple Leafs would be willing to negotiate during the season if the players were comfortable doing so.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I'd sign Matthews and Nylander to 7-8 year deals when the time comes to sign them.

Marner should get a bridge if he has a big year, he needs to prove he can do it again. He will be the last of the core 7 to be signed and it buys us time to let the Marleau deal run out.

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The newly minted Leafs general manager has spent the summer reminding agents about the importance of the greater good. To wit: If each player takes a little less than absolute market value, the Leafs will have a better chance of keeping their core intact and chasing championships for a sporting generation.

It’s the next phase of a long-held plan inside the organization’s executive boardroom. Team president Brendan Shanahan cited it as one of the reasons his Detroit Red Wings were able to sustain a strong run of success in the late 1990s and early 2000s during an appearance on "Prime Time Sports" last September. The Hall of Fame winger said he was comfortable taking a little less in his playing days “because I was in a winning environment that I enjoyed coming to work every day."

"And so rather than work on hypotheticals [with the Leafs] we try to control what we can control," Shanahan continued. "Which is we want this to be the kind of place that – similar to like I just said – where I was in an organization at one point in my life where players knew that they could get more if they went to unrestricted free agency and knocked on all 30 doors, but instead we want to create an environment here in Toronto where players want to stay and they want to grow up together and have an era of hockey together."

Matthews, Marner and Nylander each get a say in whether that actually happens.
His top priority at the moment is obviously getting Nylander signed to another contract before the Leafs report for medicals next Thursday, but the GM is taking on some risk by allowing the team’s other two young stars to start playing out the final year of their entry-level contracts.

On one hand, it buys some time. More time for Dubas to sell everyone on the “we before me” philosophy. More time to ascertain exactly where the NHL’s salary cap is headed in 2019-20 and beyond.

However, it also gives the players an opportunity to strengthen their bargaining positions. And what an opportunity this season presents them.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Although it was a long shot, not signing Marner this off season is going to sting in a year.
If Marner goes off, bridge him. Let him prove he can repeat it for a couple years.

IMO this is the guy you bridge, not Nylander.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Nylander, Matthews, Marner contracts still on Maple Leafs' list

• based on history expects Nylander to miss the camp if deal isn't signed
"We believe that if a player is going to commit that long to a team in a long-term agreement that we want them to be fully comfortable and aware of what they're getting into. And that's the approach that we've taken with them and had good discussions with (Matthews' agent) Judd Moldaver and with (Marner's agent) Darren Ferris, respectively, on Auston and Mitch."

"Everyone's excited for the season ... it's been a very patient process on all parts, and that's more from the team than it is from the players. "

Dubas said the Maple Leafs would be willing to negotiate during the season if the players were comfortable doing so.

I think Matthews said he's willing to negotiate during the season as well. Don't have the source but I'm positive he said this during an interview.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Although it was a long shot, not signing Marner this off season is going to sting in a year.
It was necessary.
Not a good idea to sign Marner before Nylander. Especially if you want to keep all 3.
Nylander has to sign or he doesn’t play. He’s coming in as 60 point Ehlers winger comparable. He can’t change that at the moment.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Not really that surprising.

I love how SN says it's a "risk" to let Matthews and Marner play without extensions this season.

Do they not know Duby has no choice?

I read that, and my immediate thought was that Matthews and Marner run just as much risk playing without extensions as Dubas and the Leafs do.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Not really that surprising.

I love how SN says it's a "risk" to let Matthews and Marner play without extensions this season.

Do they not know Duby has no choice?
of course he has a choice , he's the one who decides what the team is going to offer and i'm sure there's a number that'll get all 3 signed right now

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
What's the reason we haven't locked in Mathews or Marner yet?
they have to be willing to sign, both are probably both willing to bet on themselves this year - Matthews missed some time and probably sees himself as having a chance to be a top 5 center this year, Marner was ppg for his last 60+ games including playoffs so he probably believes he can put up a full season of that and get paid like an 80pt player rather than a high 60's pt player

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I'd sign Matthews and Nylander to 7-8 year deals when the time comes to sign them.

Marner should get a bridge if he has a big year, he needs to prove he can do it again. He will be the last of the core 7 to be signed and it buys us time to let the Marleau deal run out.

If Marner goes off, bridge him. Let him prove he can repeat it for a couple years.

IMO this is the guy you bridge, not Nylander.

This is foolish.

What does Marner need to prove he can do again that Nylander doesn't? He's performed better playing with worse linemates. He was pretty much carrying the Bozak line at even strength, and then arguably became the best player on the team when he changed lines. How is Nylander more deserving of a long-time contract at this point?

Marner was also easily better than Nylander and even Matthews during the past two playoffs, especially against Boston when he lit the spark for the team while Matthews and Nylander were struggling. Marner has consistently elevated the play of those around him and put in more big-game performances than Nylander has.

Nylander has spent the last two seasons with Matthews and Marner has still outscored him. Now he's going to be playing with Tavares. So we're going to negotiate with Marner after he possibly becomes a 90+ point player rather than now when his value isn't as high? Smart.

Marner has been better than Nylander thus far and has the higher ceiling. Your view baffles me.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
of course he has a choice , he's the one who decides what the team is going to offer and i'm sure there's a number that'll get all 3 signed right now

Isn't that selfish thinking (which is so prevalent). The PLAYER has a choice too. He can decide on the length of contract he wants, he is not forced to sign long term. Trouba didn't sign long term coming of ELC....neither did Kucherov, IMO Nylander is demanding too money long term, (I don't blame him) and is going settle for a short term deal hoping for further riches in the future, even if means being a UFA in five years.
To say Dubas or Nylander is right or wrong in their negotiations "demands" or "offers" is just incorrect.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This is foolish.

What does Marner need to prove he can do again that Nylander doesn't? He's performed better playing with worse linemates. He was pretty much carrying the Bozak line at even strength, and then arguably became the best player on the team when he changed lines. How is Nylander more deserving of a long-time contract at this point?

Marner was also easily better than Nylander and even Matthews during the past two playoffs, especially against Boston when he lit the spark for the team while Matthews and Nylander were struggling. Marner has consistently elevated the play of those around him and put in more big-game performances than Nylander has.

Nylander has spent the last two seasons with Matthews and Marner has still outscored him. Now he's going to be playing with Tavares. So we're going to negotiate with Marner after he possibly becomes a 90+ point player rather than now when his value isn't as high? Smart.

Marner has been better than Nylander thus far and has the higher ceiling. Your view baffles me.

Do not discount the QoC that Matthews and Nylander got compared to Marner

Reactions: boominh

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
If I'm Marner I don't sign yet either.

Tavares winger. Only an idiot would sign now lol

Matthews I don't get. Give the man his 11 mil and let's move on.

If they give Matthews 11 million now, it could mess up contract negotiations with the other 2. It shouldn’t, since Matthews is a 1C and the face of the franchise, but we don’t need to risk a Draisaitl situation when we have time to spare.

That, and if Matthews’ back (fingers crossed, knock on wood, whatever we need to do to make sure this doesn’t happen) ends up taking him out of another 20 or so games next year, that could potentially bring his price down as well. Not for good reasons mind you, but if there are lingering issues that could get worse over time, I’d rather know before we sign him to 8 years X 11 million.

Totally agree with you on the Marner point though, no way am I signing anything before I play a full season with Tavares if I’m him.

Last edited:

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
If I'm Marner I don't sign yet either.

Tavares winger. Only an idiot would sign now lol

Matthews I don't get. Give the man his 11 mil and let's move on.

IMO they're all idiots regardless unless they prove otherwise. I hate how $$$ dominates the priority of players. I mean what is really the difference between a 6 million dollar salary and perhaps 1-2 cups vs 10 million and 0 cups? Granted I'm not in their shoes but as a diehard Leafs fan I've always felt confident in the fact that if I were a player I'd take less money to make the Leafs a winner and be a winner myself. Unfortunately many players today value money more than the cup and that's a sad reality.

I mean I'm thrilled to have hometown guys like Tavares and Marner...but Tavares at 11 million could potentially be seen as questionable by some, he could have taken 7-8 million and made his chances at a cup even greater while still being filthy rich. Maybe I'm behind I don't know but I doesn't make sense to me.

This is the one thing about professional sports that makes me hesitate to buy a sweater with a players name on it. If they don't care about the fanbase and winning more than money it makes me feel like an idiot wearing their name on my back in public.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If i was Dubas i wouldn't sign them yet either, I would like to see Matthews play 80 games next season and see how Marner does playing against tougher competition and see how his non PP points look.

Reactions: NoTouchIcing

SweLeafsFan

Jun 30, 2009
Sweden
IMO they're all idiots regardless unless they prove otherwise. I hate how $$$ dominates the priority of players. I mean what is really the difference between a 6 million dollar salary and perhaps 1-2 cups vs 10 million and 0 cups? Granted I'm not in their shoes but as a diehard Leafs fan I've always felt confident in the fact that if I were a player I'd take less money to make the Leafs a winner and be a winner myself. Unfortunately many players today value money more than the cup and that's a sad reality.

I mean I'm thrilled to have hometown guys like Tavares and Marner...but Tavares at 11 million could potentially be seen as questionable by some, he could have taken 7-8 million and made his chances at a cup even greater while still being filthy rich. Maybe I'm behind I don't know but I doesn't make sense to me.

This is the one thing about professional sports that makes me hesitate to buy a sweater with a players name on it. If they don't care about the fanbase and winning more than money it makes me feel like an idiot wearing their name on my back in public.

Maybe it is easy for me to say as a fan but I totally agree. Now that we have such a great team with a good opportunity to win the cup in the next couple of years I would love it if all players up for a new contract would take a pay cut to increase the chance of making the team even more competitive. Same for new players coming here. But I guess that is just a dream of mine.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Marner's agent should be fired if he allows Marner to sign before the season starts. Mitch is going to be playing with Tavares who will no doubt boost his numbers

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

When you're at that level, money talks. It becomes a status thing. Also don't forget that the PA really pushes players to maximize their contracts and $ value, that's a huge factor.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Don't have to worry about that for now.

Nylanders situation is starting to tick me off though..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->