Rumor: Dubas big game hunting? Where there is smoke there is Jakob Chychrun?

Would you prefer Chychrun over .... ?

• I prefer a top 6 winger (Kane, Meier, etc.)

Votes: 109 47.0%
  • I prefer Jacob Chychrun

Votes: 70 30.2%
  • I prefer a shutdown stay at home defender

Votes: 32 13.8%
  • 1st string Goalie (Saros, Yep Saros has been rumored to be available)

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Just tinker with the bottom 6

Votes: 13 5.6%

• Total voters

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Not nearly as good. Hmm OK I'll bite, what makes you say that? I mean I think everyone is waiting for them to cool down a bit but "not nearly", that's overdoing it IMO.

I don't know what that means.

They are on pace for the best regular season in NHL history. Their roster does not reflect that in the slightest. It's a defeatist attitude

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Easy question: Do you think the 2022-2023 Boston Bruins are among the greatest teams in NHL history? Because their record indicates they may be one of the top 5 greatest teams in NHL history. With almost the same roster that barely squeaked into the playoffs last year.

While I don’t think they’re one of the best rosters of all time, I wouldn’t say the addition of a Norris-level defenseman and a near-PPG second line center is insignificant.

Reactions: hotpaws

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
They are on pace for the best regular season in NHL history. Their roster does not reflect that in the slightest. It's a defeatist attitude

Their roster should not support their record, with that said they are playing as a complete team. They get the puck to the guy who is most likely to score, not the guy who is the biggest star on the ice. There is A LOT of deception in their game, the unselfish nature of their game and the deception in their game is why they are doing so well, along with Ulmark who is legit, his underlying stats the year he left Buffalo suggested that he was a much better goalie than his record indicated. With that said a good coach with a team that plays a disciplined system in a 7 game series, can shut them down in the playoffs (I'm thinking Cooper, Gallant, Ruff, Trotz :) ).

The Leafs have to get about 10 notches better to have a hope in hell against them, we dont play a disciplined system, we are far too lose with puck management and our goalies are a crap shoot, one game they are all stars the next game they are AHL back ups. If Rielly and Sandin are both in the line up, in a 7 game series vs Boston, we are done in 5, those two guys handle a puck like its a grenade.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I'm a Dodge man ... easy young fella :D .. I got 485 hp of HEMI power sitting in my garage right now, waiting for the warm weather.

That's the thing Cheech has always been 2 first rounders + + +, the 'Yotes have always had a high sticker price on Cheech and have no reason to sell low in 2 weeks.
he's also a china doll, he could be great, or he could be like when we brough back Gilmour, and he lasted one shift.

Reactions: Hellcat

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Boston is very good. But I don’t think they are nearly as good as their record would indicate.

Like we’ve lost 3 times the man games to injury that Boston has, that’s significant.

I think we would be closer, and I think small gaps in the standings can require more explanation that just team quality.
I agree. This Leafs team is capable of beating any of these teams. There is no juggernaut this year. Just get in and get it done

Reactions: aingefan and kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think their pace is quite that good, not any more anyway but results are what count, not what the roster looks like on paper.

Their roster should not support their record, with that said they are playing as a complete team. They get the puck to the guy who is most likely to score, not the guy who is the biggest star on the ice. There is A LOT of deception in their game, the unselfish nature of their game and the deception in their game is why they are doing so well, along with Ulmark who is legit, his underlying stats the year he left Buffalo suggested that he was a much better goalie than his record indicated. With that said a good coach with a team that plays a disciplined system in a 7 game series, can shut them down in the playoffs (I'm thinking Cooper, Gallant, Ruff, Trotz :) ).

The Leafs have to get about 10 notches better to have a hope in hell against them, we dont play a disciplined system, we are far too lose with puck management and our goalies are a crap shoot, one game they are all stars the next game they are AHL back ups. If Rielly and Sandin are both in the line up, in a 7 game series vs Boston, we are done in 5, those two guys handle a puck like its a grenade.
Exactly! Some people don't seem to quite understand that hockey a team game and sometimes a team is greater than the sum of it's parts and Boston this season is a perfect example. And sometimes, a team can be less than the sum of it's parts, the Leafs in the playoffs over the last 5 years is a perfect example - we have crazy amounts of talent, yet we're setting records for underachieving.

In any series, any team can win, that's just the way sports works so I can't say the Leafs have no shot against Boston. But to argue that the series would be a tossup the way some people are doing is just crazy.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I don't think their pace is quite that good, not any more anyway but results are what count, not what the roster looks like on paper.

Exactly! Some people don't seem to quite understand that hockey a team game and sometimes a team is greater than the sum of it's parts and Boston this season is a perfect example. And sometimes, a team can be less than the sum of it's parts, the Leafs in the playoffs over the last 5 years is a perfect example - we have crazy amounts of talent, yet we're setting records for underachieving.

In any series, any team can win, that's just the way sports works so I can't say the Leafs have no shot against Boston. But to argue that the series would be a tossup the way some people are doing is just crazy.
Totally agree. Boston seems overwhelming, both that it is a team game, but also it just seems that every player has an enormous resolve ALL THE TIME to win!
Something we, and most teams, lack.
Still want Timo to see what he can do with us!!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Boston proves that the sum of its parts are greater than a group of individuals.

Reactions: therealkoho

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Totally agree. Boston seems overwhelming, both that it is a team game, but also it just seems that every player has an enormous resolve ALL THE TIME to win!
It will be interesting to see how they do in the playoffs. They had to cool off at some point, I mean it didn't seem possible that they could somehow be as dominant as the 77 MTL team but the fact that they did it for so long pretty much proves that they are a super strong team. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if they just steamrolled their way to the cup.

Hoping I will be able to like posts again at some point ...

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It will be interesting to see how they do in the playoffs. They had to cool off at some point, I mean it didn't seem possible that they could somehow be as dominant as the 77 MTL team but the fact that they did it for so long pretty much proves that they are a super strong team. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if they just steamrolled their way to the cup.

Hoping I will be able to like posts again at some point ...

I’m just saying the odds are dramatically better that they don’t even make the cup finals than they are that they will win it all.

And the Leafs are absolutely in that group of teams that have every required to go toe to toe with Boston

Reactions: kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I’m just saying the odds are dramatically better that they don’t even make the cup finals than they are that they will win it all.

And the Leafs are absolutely in that group of teams that have every required to go toe to toe with Boston
Sure, no team in the cap era can be favorites to win 3 series in a row, they would however be favorites to win a single series against anyone.

If we play Boston that means we beat Tampa, and I think we ride that momentum all the way to the finals tbh
People have been saying that for years - just win one, and then watch out. I think it's wishful thinking myself, win one and there will be another tough opponent just as motivated as us.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

It’s not crazy at all. As we’ve clearly seen regular season play has little to do with playoffs. Whether you think it’s a toss up series or not, ultimately comes down to where you think each team belongs on a tier basis, and how they specifically match up to each other. You’re obviously welcome to disagree with my resulting opinion, such is your perogative, but it doesn’t really make your position of any greater value than my own. Just different.

I don’t consider standings to be the be all end all in sizing up a potential playoff matchup

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Sure, no team in the cap era can be favorites to win 3 series in a row, they would however be favorites to win a single series against anyone.

People have been saying that for years - just win one, and then watch out. I think it's wishful thinking myself, win one and there will be another tough opponent just as motivated as us.
I don't think it has to do with motivation, more so to do with confidence

This team has the skill to go all the way, they just lack that ability to close a series out. You saw that last year with Tampa's poise taking over as the series went long. If the leafs can figure out how to hit that next level and end an opponent the sky is the limit (With that said, it's huge if and not one I'm willing to bet on lol)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It’s not crazy at all. As we’ve clearly seen regular season play has little to do with playoffs. Whether you think it’s a toss up series or not, ultimately comes down to where you think each team belongs on a tier basis, and how they specifically match up to each other. You’re obviously welcome to disagree with my resulting opinion, such is your perogative, but it doesn’t really make your position of any greater value than my own. Just different.

I don’t consider standings to be the be all end all in sizing up a potential playoff matchup
I'll just copy/paste what I said to someone else ITT last night:

If the Leafs play Boston in round 2, barring something drastic happening (like Ullmark being unable to play due to injury), Boston will be favoured, I'd guess by at least a 3-2 margin. Feel free to bookmark this post and ridicule me when I'm proven to be wrong (and when pigs fly).

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think it has to do with motivation, moreso to do with confidence

This team has the skill to go all the way, they just lack that ability to close a series out. You saw that last year with Tampa's poise taking over as the series went long. If the leafs can figure out how to hit that next level and end an opponent the sky is the limit (With that said, it's huge if and not one I'm willing to bet on lol)
If they can play up to their potential, they have a shot against anyone, the operative wore there is "if". They played well against TB last season and almost got it done so that gives me some hope. How they got outscored 11-2 in the previous 3 games 7's still haunts me though.

Another poster has been talking about "that look" that champions have, that "steely determination" that shows they'll do anything to win. I know what he's talking about, I remember the look on Gilmour's face when he was doing his thing here 30 years ago and I've never seen it with this team. I can't imagine Gilmour being interviewed after losing and basically saying - we played well, shrug - yet that's exactly what I've come to expect from our "leaders". Maybe this spring will be different' we'll see but yeah, I wouldn't bet on it either.

And the thing is, even if they do "figure it out", there's still no guarantee they beat Boston, or even TB for that matter. It sucks that we're in this ridiculous division but that's life. At least we have some excuses all ready if we lose again but I'm getting so tired of all the excuses, can't lose them all right? Right?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Not nearly as good. Hmm OK I'll bite, what makes you say that? I mean I think everyone is waiting for them to cool down a bit but "not nearly", that's overdoing it IMO.

They are not one of the best teams of all time (currently 3rd) and I don't think Ullmark will continue with a .937 this year (it's better than any Hasek season).

We are 1-2 against them, and the third game was without Matthews.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
They are not one of the best teams of all time (currently 3rd) and I don't think Ullmark will continue with a .937 this year (it's better than any Hasek season).

We are 1-2 against them, and the third game was without Matthews.
Ullmark will probably cool down a bit and you could say the same about Boston as a whole. No guarantees though, season's more than 60% done and they're still going strong. Remember Tim Thomas? People kept saying he'd cool down but it didn't happen and Boston won the cup.

As far as us being 1-2 against them, that means less than nothing to me. If we were to play some team like AZ in the playoffs, would you be worried because we had trouble with them in a ridiculously small sample size of our regular season games?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Ullmark will probably cool down a bit and you could say the same about Boston as a whole. No guarantees though, season's more than 60% done and they're still going strong.

As far as us being 1-2 against them, that means less than nothing to me. If we were to play some team like AZ in the playoffs, would you be worried because we had trouble with them in a ridiculously small sample size of our regular season games?

No, but pretending like Boston is this unbeatable team come playoff time is laughable.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No, but pretending like Boston is this unbeatable team come playoff time is laughable.

Why do people keep throwing out these strawman arguments? Who ever said Boston's unbeatable? Come on, you can do better than that.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think it’s an often glossed over fact that Boston has faced very little in the way of adversity this year. That rarely works out for teams in the end

Reactions: kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think it’s an often glossed over fact that Boston has faced very little in the way of adversity this year. That rarely works out for teams in the end
Not true at all. They faced adversity at the beginning of the season, maybe the fact that they dealt with it so convincingly is a big part of why they've been steamrolling ever since.

What often works out for teams in the end, is going into the playoffs on a roll. Still a long way to go but if Boston doesn't fall off much over the last 30 games, I wouldn't expect it to happen when the playoffs start.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Buffalo Sabres defenceman Rasmus Dahlin described it as “mentally frustrating” facing a juggernaut that doesn’t seem to make mistakes.

“They take advantage of every single chance,” he said. “They want to play a 1-0 game. If you break down for five [minutes] they’re going to score.

“They have it all – they have the mental side, the defence, the offence.”

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Hey we've all seen the President Trophy winning teams team roll through the regular season and then are out in the 1st round. It can happen but this team is scary, everyone know what they are going to do, 1) control the boards 2) find open ice 3) find the trailer 4) multiple cross seam passes. Everyone and theiri dog knows their game plan, yet seemingly they still do it at will.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00