Rumor: Dubas big game hunting? Where there is smoke there is Jakob Chychrun?

Would you prefer Chychrun over .... ?

• I prefer a top 6 winger (Kane, Meier, etc.)

Votes: 109 47.0%
  • I prefer Jacob Chychrun

Votes: 70 30.2%
  • I prefer a shutdown stay at home defender

Votes: 32 13.8%
  • 1st string Goalie (Saros, Yep Saros has been rumored to be available)

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Just tinker with the bottom 6

Votes: 13 5.6%

• Total voters

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Is a deal between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Arizona Coyotes for Jakob Chychrun close to being finalized?

Anyone following Chychrun on Instagram would assume so based on Chychrun’s recent actions. On Saturday, February 4th, Chychrun removed the Arizona Coyotes from his Instagram bio. He then started following Toronto Maple Leafs players such as Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, and Michael Bunting.

Does the Arizona defenseman know something we don’t? His online actions would lead fans to believe so. As exciting as this might seem, nothing is official until the Maple Leafs announce a trade. That has yet to happen, so Toronto fans are left wondering.

Read the rest of the article here Toronto Maple Leafs: Jakob Chychrun Rumours Going Crazy

Reactions: Duffman955

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Kyle Dubas tells us hockey is a strong link game and then proceeds to trade all his picks on a bunch of duds who don't make a difference.

The last two trade deadlines alone has witnessed Dubas trade Travis Dermott, 1x1st, 2x2nd, 2x3rd, 2x4th, a 5th, and a 6th.

What did he get in return?

An injured Nick Foligno, an injured Rielly Nash, a third string goaltender in David Riitich, an AHL player in Stefan Noesen, and the oldest defenseman in the league, Mark Giordano.

The Leafs need to get the best player available whatever the cost this year.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Someone with term, or just tinker. It’ll be another tough year in the playoffs so I’d rather have at least two cracks at the playoffs with whoever we trade for.

I’d like Meier but don’t want to get into a bidding war with others for him.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Is a deal between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Arizona Coyotes for Jakob Chychrun close to being finalized?

Anyone following Chychrun on Instagram would assume so based on Chychrun’s recent actions. On Saturday, February 4th, Chychrun removed the Arizona Coyotes from his Instagram bio. He then started following Toronto Maple Leafs players such as Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, and Michael Bunting.

Does the Arizona defenseman know something we don’t? His online actions would lead fans to believe so. As exciting as this might seem, nothing is official until the Maple Leafs announce a trade. That has yet to happen, so Toronto fans are left wondering.

Read the rest of the article here Toronto Maple Leafs: Jakob Chychrun Rumours Going Crazy
I'm pretty sure he was already following all of them. He knows Bunting from when they played on AZ together. Auston is from AZ so I'm sure he's hung out with Chychrun a bunch. And Mitch has been friends with Chych since they're junior days. Nothing to see here.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I’d love to have him. He is a Norris contending 1D on an insane value contract for two years after this season.
It will come at cost though, the lineup will need some changes and it will cost Knies, that’s a no brainer because you don’t get a 1D at that rate and term for nothing less then real blue chip prospect.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kyle Dubas tells us hockey is a strong link game and then proceeds to trade all his picks on a bunch of duds who don't make a difference.

The last two trade deadlines alone has witnessed Dubas trade Travis Dermott, 1x1st, 2x2nd, 2x3rd, 2x4th, a 5th, and a 6th.

An injured Nick Foligno, an injured Rielly Nash, a third string goaltender in David Riitich, an AHL player in Stefan Noesen, and the oldest defenseman in the league, Mark Giordano.

Just want to point out that Noesen has played 48 games so far this year, for a pretty good 'Canes team.
Perhaps it was deployment that was the issue, and not the player.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I saw this article yesterday and not sure its reliable. We don't know when he started following our 3 players. But him removing the Coyotes from his bio on IG and Twitter (even removing his coyote background) may indicate he knows he's getting traded soon.

We'll see what happens but 1st + Knies, maybe 1 more asset too, would be a hefty price to pay. But if the plan is go all in for him, then acquire a JVR or Domi, who aren't gonna cost the moon, then I'd say the team would be in a much better position.

Reactions: banks

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

You forgot Blackwell and Hutton, all were pending UFAs. Luckily Gio wanted to come home and was willing to virtually play for free. Hard to believe some fans have not seen enough.

Reactions: Its not your fault

horner

May 22, 2007
If we are going to give a 1st and other prospects . I want a controllable players signed for a couple three years.
Laughton or konecny type of players.
And a shutdown dman

Knies not giving up for a rental , he should be untouchable till we see what we have in him.

horner

May 22, 2007
Someone with term, or just tinker. It’ll be another tough year in the playoffs so I’d rather have at least two cracks at the playoffs with whoever we trade for.

I’d like Meier but don’t want to get into a bidding war with others for him.
Next yr Boston and TB will be in cap hell.
That is our window

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Just want to point out that Noesen has played 48 games so far this year, for a pretty good 'Canes team.
Perhaps it was deployment that was the issue, and not the player.
No. He just wasn't very good and I assume still isn't. I don't follow the Canes so I'm not sure how he's doing this year.

You forgot Blackwell and Hutton, all were pending UFAs. Luckily Gio wanted to come home and was willing to virtually play for free. Hard to believe some fans have not seen enough.
Thank you, I forgot all about those two do nothing's.

If Dubas is indeed dismissed at the end of the season, you can be sure the poor asset management that has defined the Dubas era will be one of the reasons pointed too as why

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
I saw this article yesterday and not sure its reliable. We don't know when he started following our 3 players. But him removing the Coyotes from his bio on IG and Twitter (even removing his coyote background) may indicate he knows he's getting traded soon.

We'll see what happens but 1st + Knies, maybe 1 more asset too, would be a hefty price to pay. But if the plan is go all in for him, then acquire a JVR or Domi, who aren't gonna cost the moon, then I'd say the team would be in a much better position.

I would assume knies a one and maybe sandin. If we get him for less great

They've been asking for the moon for him the entire year

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Next yr Boston and TB will be in cap hell.
That is our window
So let’s not try to win it this year? What happens if we choke and don’t win it next year (when it’s our window)? The NHL is way too deep nowadays, we’re tied for third with the most games lost to injuries. I don’t care about other teams salary cap issues next year. Sure Boston might not be as good, but you’ll have another team step up like the Devils have this year.

Our “window” is these next TWO playoff runs while we have Matthews under contract.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012

Giordano’s been worth his weight in gold.

Travis Dermott’s effectively a non-asset. That Dubas got anything for him was a coup.

Foligno was a surprise. Perhaps just didn’t want to be here in spite of injury, optics, etc…Not a great look for our club.

I agree and have maintained that I wish we’d been more conservative with our picks and bold in using them - trading down seems prideful.

Our goaltending is much better. Rittich is back to playing his career average in Calgary - so like Foligno, small sample size and a wrong fit; But our duo is much better: Campbell’s numbers are dreadful.

Don’t like the idea of moving Knies (and wouldn’t except maybe for Meier) but this 2023 draft is supposed to be deep past the top Ten picks, so I think for greater development (ie confidence gained in winning a round) our 1st should be in be in play for the right piece.

I don’t know why we wouldn’t go after pieces like a retained Henrique, and maybe some of the more grizzly forwards/defense from Philly (Seeler, Deslauriers etc..) as low hanging fruit to hedge our talent in.

Time will tell.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It's quite something when a player provides the scoop on his own trade! Not sure how I'd feel about trading away Michael Knies here either. ;)

In all seriousness, I do expect the Chychrun trade saga to conclude with a move by the TDL. Still have my doubts about Toronto being the player's next destination though.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Chychrun played last night, so I’m pretty sure he urinated all over that fire.

horner

May 22, 2007
So let’s not try to win it this year? What happens if we choke and don’t win it next year (when it’s our window)? The NHL is way too deep nowadays, we’re tied for third with the most games lost to injuries. I don’t care about other teams salary cap issues next year. Sure Boston might not be as good, but you’ll have another team step up like the Devils have this year.

Our “window” is these next TWO playoff runs while we have Matthews under contract.
That is not what I was implying.
Trade good assets for players with term because if we lose in the first rd .
Ten we have nothing left next yr when Boston and TB are in cap hell.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Giordano’s been worth his weight in gold.

Travis Dermott’s effectively a non-asset. That Dubas got anything for him was a coup.

Foligno was a surprise. Perhaps just didn’t want to be here in spite of injury, optics, etc…Not a great look for our club.

I agree and have maintained that I wish we’d been more conservative with our picks and bold in using them - trading down seems prideful.

Our goaltending is much better. Rittich is back to playing his career average in Calgary - so like Foligno, small sample size and a wrong fit; But our duo is much better: Campbell’s numbers are dreadful.

Don’t like the idea of moving Knies (and wouldn’t except maybe for Meier) but this 2023 draft is supposed to be deep past the top Ten picks, so I think for greater development (ie confidence gained in winning a round) our 1st should be in be in play for the right piece.

I don’t know why we wouldn’t go after pieces like a retained Henrique, and maybe some of the more grizzly forwards/defense from Philly (Seeler, Deslauriers etc..) as low hanging fruit to hedge our talent in.

Time will tell.

Id assume we'd be giving away the first also so there's not much draft benefit to winning a round ( although there's more everything else benefit)

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If Dubas wants Chychrun, I trust him. This is the GM who has traded for Muzzin and Giordano, signed Brodie, drafted Sandin, held onto Liljegren (and got him an amazing contract), pulled Holl out of nowhere, and got Rielly signed to an under-market deal. We have one of the strongest and deepest bluelines in the league and the hole that we have right now is the one that Muzzin left. Whether it's Chychrun or someone else that Dubas has his eye on, I'd be thrilled to add a 22+ minutes a night minute muncher who can play hard nosed hockey at both ends of the ice.

Now, if Chychrun is the right player (I don't watch the Yotes, I won't pretend to know) it also has to be the right price. I think the Coyotes are completely out of their tree if they're asking for three first rounders and they can pry Knies from our cold, dead hands. 1st and two 2nds (or equivalent prospects) like we paid for Muzzin is my first real offer and while I could be talked up from there due to age and contract (especially if they'll retain), 1st+Knies is off the table unless we're talking about a #1 type player.

We do need a bottom six forward as well. The last thing our forward core needs is another big name who's going to get frustrated they're not getting enough PP time. We already have enough egos up front, what we need is a 20g depth guy who can crash and bang to replace Kerfoot or push Engvall down to the 4th line.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Adding Chychrun will impact the team similarly to adding a top 6 winger.

He has a strong offensive impact, and there are 2 guys in the top 4 who are zero or negative impact offensively.

So Chychrun + a buy low forward candidate would be my preference.

horner

May 22, 2007
If Dubas wants Chychrun, I trust him. This is the GM who has traded for Muzzin and Giordano, signed Brodie, drafted Sandin, held onto Liljegren (and got him an amazing contract), pulled Holl out of nowhere, and got Rielly signed to an under-market deal. We have one of the strongest and deepest bluelines in the league and the hole that we have right now is the one that Muzzin left. Whether it's Chychrun or someone else that Dubas has his eye on, I'd be thrilled to add a 22+ minutes a night minute muncher who can play hard nosed hockey at both ends of the ice.

Now, if Chychrun is the right player (I don't watch the Yotes, I won't pretend to know) it also has to be the right price. I think the Coyotes are completely out of their tree if they're asking for three first rounders and they can pry Knies from our cold, dead hands. 1st and two 2nds (or equivalent prospects) like we paid for Muzzin is my first real offer and while I could be talked up from there due to age and contract (especially if they'll retain), 1st+Knies is off the table unless we're talking about a #1 type player.

We do need a bottom six forward as well. The last thing our forward core needs is another big name who's going to get frustrated they're not getting enough PP time. We already have enough egos up front, what we need is a 20g depth guy who can crash and bang to replace Kerfoot or push Engvall down to the 4th line.
Keep Knies
Jeannot is one player I would go after.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad