Rumor: Dubas big game hunting? Where there is smoke there is Jakob Chychrun?

Would you prefer Chychrun over .... ?

• I prefer a top 6 winger (Kane, Meier, etc.)

Votes: 109 47.0%
  • I prefer Jacob Chychrun

Votes: 70 30.2%
  • I prefer a shutdown stay at home defender

Votes: 32 13.8%
  • 1st string Goalie (Saros, Yep Saros has been rumored to be available)

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Just tinker with the bottom 6

Votes: 13 5.6%

• Total voters

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I only saw 1 of his recent games live in 2022 in Zona while on a quick getaway but I have seen him play maybe 50 games when he was younger and then in junior too .. and his stripes have not changed .. most fans on here don't even realize he has a cray mean streak in him they actually think he plays like Rielly LOL

You mean this Rielly?

Yes he is so soft...

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You mean this Rielly?

Yes he is so soft...

It is not that Rielly won't get involved if he has to .. he has shown da leadership to stand up for teammates which is why he does have great leadership skills .. I was one of few guys who thought he could be a captain .. but Jakob is a bit of a dick and plays a nasty game .. he can skate too, he has better strength and size, but he will stick it to guys going to our net and on wall too .. forwards don't like it when you make it very unpleasant for them to try to score .. this is what Jakob brings to table .. and after he reefs you into wall he can then take puck from you and move it up ice nicely too

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I know that the deadline is still weeks away, but with the Tarasenko trade today it has me a little worried Dubas sitting on his hands while legitimate proven stars are being sent to other contenders.

The Rangers are in the Leafs conference.

They already have a strong team. Panarin and Zibanejad are superstar forwards. Fox just won a Norris two years ago. And Shesterkin just took home the Vezina.

Dubas has put himself in a damned if you don't, damned if you don't situation, of his own making.

There's not a lot of assets left in the system anyway, may as well go all in.

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
Nope but special people get special rules, that is how life works. Elite athletes in every sport have varying degrees of say in how their roster is built. James in basketball, Brady in football, I'm sure McDavid has some influence. Austin and Mitch are rumored to have a level of influence with Dubas and Shanahan. Not many coaches fly half way around the the continent, on their own time, to talk with their players. I'm sure Keefe is not flying to Kampft's home this summer to "talk" :)
James and Brady no questions star athletes and in the GOAT conversation but I don't care for them at all. In my opinion them running the show in some sense is only to make them look better. I don't like it. Job is to perform on the field or court or ice. Leave the managing to management. For this reason and their arrogance when both are gone make my day. 1 gone(supposedly) 1 more to go.

I would’ve loved Tarasenko on this team. Our top 6 is so unbalanced when Mathew’s is out. He’d be an upgrade we could use.
Other teams strengthen we sit idle. Oh don't worry Dubas will improve the team like he has last few years. NOT.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I know that the deadline is still weeks away, but with the Tarasenko trade today it has me a little worried Dubas sitting on his hands while legitimate proven stars are being sent to other contenders.

The Rangers are in the Leafs conference.

They already have a strong team. Panarin and Zibanejad are superstar forwards. Fox just won a Norris two years ago. And Shesterkin just took home the Vezina.

Dubas has put himself in a damned if you don't, damned if you don't situation, of his own making.

There's not a lot of assets left in the system anyway, may as well go all in.

I'm guessing Dubas is focusing on beating Tampa and getting his extension. Anything past that is gravy.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
I'm guessing Dubas is focusing on beating Tampa and getting his extension. Anything past that is gravy.
Yeah, I’m not too concerned with what teams other than Tampa and Boston do, tbh.

Getting by those two giants would be a huge step forward for this team. Perhaps that’s why Dubas is so set on not giving up top assets for rentals.

Look at it this way:

What if Dubas blows his wad at this trade deadline for a rental or two and we end up beating Tampa AND Boston? What good would that be?

The next trade deadline, he’d be back to square one, trying to figure out what to add to beat them again. It would make a lot more sense to cough up those assets for players with term.

That way, if we get by the big two, we will already have the guys who did it once AND look to add to that group to make us even better!!

Major assets for big name rentals, is a really bad way to go, imo.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yes. And it's never been the Leafs in the last 6 years
No, it hasn't. It also has nothing to do with this year.

In the first round you really only have 1 of 2 options, you win a round or you go home. If you go home and I'm no NHL rules scholar but I'm pretty sure that eliminates you from the contender category :P
Well, not making it past the first round eliminates a team from being a contender by the sole criterion by the poster mikeyz. It doesn't elimiinate me from anything, nor does it represent my view of what teams are or are not considered contenders.

Reactions: kb

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
No, it hasn't. It also has nothing to do with this year.
You were probably saying that 5 previous times. And how did those years turn out?
Well, not making it past the first round eliminates a team from being a contender by the sole criterion by the poster mikeyz. It doesn't elimiinate me from anything, nor does it represent my view of what teams are or are not considered contenders.
So you're saying that just because a team gets eliminated in the 1st round 6 consecutive years doesn't mean they're not contenders?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You were probably saying that 5 previous times. And how did those years turn out?

So you're saying that just because you get eliminated in the 1st round 6 consecutive years doesn't mean you're not a contender?
It is simple math if they have been eliminated in the first round for six straight year- that would include the last 5 years of them being eliminated in the first round. That is how they turned out.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA

So you're saying that just because a team gets eliminated in the 1st round 6 consecutive years doesn't mean they're not contenders?
You are very miserable and lack common sense. Sorry about that

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
It is simple math if they have been eliminated in the first round for six straight year- that would include the last 5 years of them being eliminated in the first round. That is how they turned out.
Yes. So what makes you think that this year is going to be any different when they've arguably gotten worse?

You didn't answer the question BTW.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yes. So what makes you think that this year is going to be any different when they've arguably gotten worse?
It is a different year. I have no idea if the Leafs will win a round or more this year or not. They haven't even secured a playoff spot yet, but what they have done the past year, 6 years , 20 years or even for the entire 107 years of the franchise has no barring on this year.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
It is a different year. I have no idea if the Leafs will win a round or more this year or not. They haven't even secured a playoff spot yet, but what they have done the past year, 6 years , 20 years or even for the entire 107 years of the franchise has no barring on this year.
No it doesn't have any barring. But, it can give you a pretty good idea of what will happen. And I haven't been wrong yet.

Last edited:

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
You are very miserable and lack common sense. Sorry about that
So because I don't bring out the pom poms and wave them 24/7 like you do, that means I don't have common sense?

I haven't been wrong about this team getting out of the 1st round yet BTW. So that makes me 6/6 and you presumably 0/6.

Still want to talk common sense?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad