Rumor: Dubas big game hunting? Where there is smoke there is Jakob Chychrun?

Would you prefer Chychrun over .... ?

• I prefer a top 6 winger (Kane, Meier, etc.)

Votes: 109 47.0%
  • I prefer Jacob Chychrun

Votes: 70 30.2%
  • I prefer a shutdown stay at home defender

Votes: 32 13.8%
  • 1st string Goalie (Saros, Yep Saros has been rumored to be available)

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Just tinker with the bottom 6

Votes: 13 5.6%

• Total voters

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
That's the thing, when you have two weeks to sell something you don't list your best price until the end.
Not sure why anyone expects any different, maybe they've never sold anything?
Or bought anything

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I really hope as a best case scenario Arizona completely screw up their negotiations and end up having to keep Chychrun. I'm just sick about hear about the guy and think the proposed asking prices for him are absolutely absurd and not worth it.

I think the prices come down, once teams do not want to pony up multiple first rounders, and high end prospects, its the Ask, heck I can ask 40 grand for a 2004 Dodge Dakota, that pos will still be sitting in my driveway forever lmao!

I do too. There will be a lot of teams like the Hawks desperate to solidify their tank jobs for the final part of the season. That means getting as many good pieces off their rosters as possible.

I think a B prospects and a mid round pick could eventually get a decent asset

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Low probability to beat Boston
Might as well sell at the deadline
Yep
This is probably not serious but thinking outside the box for a moment, trading Nylander is an interesting idea. The return would be huge since it's two playoff runs, you avoid the contract negotiations which are quite possibly going to be very difficult and we may end up having to trade him for a much lesser return, or let him walk for nothing next summer. Solves our cap issues going forward, we can keep everyone else we want to keep, frees up cap space for acquisitions and is an opportunity to better balance the roster (less pure skill but more physicality/grit).

And low probability of beating Boston is accurate, assuming we even get that far. And as long as we're trading Willie, Kerfoot is obviously out the door as well.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I’m tired of defeatist comments regarding Boston. There’s precisely nothing to suggest at this point in time that Boston and us would be anything other than a toss up series.

We are not going to be f***ing sellers. Like give me a break

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I’m tired of defeatist comments regarding Boston. There’s precisely nothing to suggest at this point in time that Boston and us would be anything other than a toss up series.

We are not going to be f***ing sellers. Like give me a break
Well, I guess if you ignore the body of work over the course of the entire season for both teams, sure.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Well, I guess if you ignore the body of work over the course of the entire season for both teams, sure.

I don’t care about Boston’s record - they have been unbelievably healthy this year while we’ve lead the league in man games lost. I’m much more interested in how our team matches up to theirs and I think they definitely advantages. So do we.

The Bruins are in no way untouchable

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don’t care about Boston’s record - they have been unbelievably healthy this year while we’ve lead the league in man games lost. I’m much more interested in how our team matches up to theirs and I think they definitely advantages. So do we.

The Bruins are in no way untouchable
Of course they're not "untouchable". But saying as you did that:

There’s precisely nothing to suggest at this point in time that Boston and us would be anything other than a toss up series.

is quite far removed from reality.

I mean optimism is great, I'm an optimist myself but let's get real here.

Reactions: Racer88

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

There’s precisely nothing to suggest at this point in time that Boston and us would be anything other than a toss up series.

I stand by my exact choice of words.

The standings difference between us and Boston is skewed by the relative health of each club this season. If we were within 4-5 points of them nobody would be speaking as they are, and it’s reasonable to conclude we’ve easily left a half dozen or more points on the table due to significant injuries sustained.

It’s not just optimism. It’s context. Boston Toronto would be a tightly contested series

Reactions: kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I stand by my exact choice of words.

The standings difference between us and Boston is skewed by the relative health of each club this season. If we were within 4-5 points of them nobody would be speaking as they are, and it’s reasonable to conclude we’ve easily left a half dozen or more points on the table due to significant injuries sustained.

It’s not just optimism. It’s context
But we're not 4-5 points behind them, going in to today they're 13 points ahead of us, and they have a game in hand, and Boston's goal differential is +82, ours is +37. But whatever, you're entitled to your opinion, we're just worlds apart on this one. Boston's having a season for the ages, is that what you think we'd be doing if we had just been healthier?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
But we're not 4-5 points behind them, going in to today they're 13 points ahead of us, and they have a game in hand, and Boston's goal differential is +82, ours is +37. But whatever, you're entitled to your opinion, we're just worlds apart on this one. Boston's having a season for the ages, if that you think we'd be doing if we had just been healthier?

Boston is very good. But I don’t think they are nearly as good as their record would indicate.

Like we’ve lost 3 times the man games to injury that Boston has, that’s significant.

I think we would be closer, and I think small gaps in the standings can require more explanation that just team quality.

Reactions: kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Boston is very good. But I don’t think they are nearly as good as their record would indicate.

Like we’ve lost 3 times the man games to injury that Boston has, that’s significant.
Not nearly as good. Hmm OK I'll bite, what makes you say that? I mean I think everyone is waiting for them to cool down a bit but "not nearly", that's overdoing it IMO.

I think we would be closer, and I think small gaps in the standings can require more explanation that just team quality.
I don't know what that means.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica

sorry but regular season stats mean nothing in the playoffs, our team has the talent to beat everyone..also if you dont believe that, we have been pretty dead even with boston in every regular season and postseason matchup with this current team and have taken the bruins to seven games both series this century. and as im sure people are aware, winning the presidents trophy means exactly nothing come the post season, in fact one could argue its even more difficult to win given the actual records of presidents trophy winning teams(7 teams since the award was created have won both in the same season)

playing well in the past 2 games vs toronto doesnt make the bruins some unstoppable force...just ask the 2019 tb team.

would BOS be favoured? sure.
would it be a long series and ultimatuly a toss up given the quality of the 2 teams? most likely.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
sorry but regular season stats mean nothing in the playoffs, our team has the talent to beat everyone..also if you dont believe that, we have been pretty dead even with boston in every regular season and postseason matchup with this current team and have taken the bruins to seven games both series this century. and as im sure people are aware, winning the presidents trophy means exactly nothing come the post season, in fact one could argue its even more difficult to win given the actual records of presidents trophy winning teams(7 teams since the award was created have won both in the same season)

playing well in the past 2 games vs toronto doesnt make the bruins some unstoppable force...just ask the 2019 tb team.

would BOS be favoured? sure.
would it be a long series and ultimatuly a toss up given the quality of the 2 teams? most likely.
Of course we have tons of talent but if you don't win, what good is it? And you don't get any points for going to game 7. So far all the evidence shows that this is a team built for the regular season and when the playoffs start, the talent doesn't translate to wins. Maybe that'll change, we'll see.

Why do you guys keep using the phrase "unstoppable force", nobody's saying that about any team?

Boston would be substantial favorites if we played them. Doesn't mean we can't win, any team always has some chance in any series but if you think it would be a tossup, you're dreaming.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
BTW, to all you guys who are convinced us against Boston would be a tossup, my advice is to bet when the time comes. Bet the Leafs, I can almost guarantee that you will be getting paid more than 2-1 if you win. I did something similar a couple of months ago, I happened to notice an opportunity to bet on what I figured was a 50/50 shot and get paid 4-1 instead of 2-1. I made the bet and I feel vindicated that the match went to the bitter end and was literally decided with only seconds left to play. If you get paid substantially more than 2-1 on a 50/50 chance, do it because in the long run you will profit. You better have good reason to think it's 50/50 though, that's the catch. ;)

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Of course we have tons of talent but if you don't win, what good is it? And you don't get any points for going to game 7. So far all the evidence shows that this is a team built for the regular season and when the playoffs start, the talent doesn't translate to wins. Maybe that'll change, we'll see.

Why do you guys keep using the phrase "unstoppable force", nobody's saying that about any team?

Boston would be substantial favorites if we played them. Doesn't mean we can't win, any team always has some chance in any series but if you think it would be a tossup, you're dreaming.

you effectively are saying that they are, considering the leafs have the 4th best record(WITH the most man games lost in the NHL) and would be substantial underdogs...

nobody playing the leafs in the post season would be considered substantial favorites given the talent on the leafs regardless of the past playoff failures.
if the leafs play to their potential there as good as anyone else in the nhl, if you think they are some big underdog vs anyone, i would suggest you're the one dreaming.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Did you get that from a tweet? YouTube? Insider?
Dregers houseplant

Read this on TSN:

The asking price for Chychrun is (2) 1st rounder, 2nd rounder and a "A" prospect. If this is teh case I hope Kyle walks away.

The asking price for Gabrikov is a 1st, 3rd and a 4th.

Considering Horvat was a LW Anthony Beauvillier, C Aatu Raty and a conditional 2023 first round pick. Are these asking prices a little steep? It was supposed to be a buyers market
Way to steep,

paying Porsche prices for a Ford!

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Almost beat TB last spring as it is so I dunno about major surgery, that doesn't always make things better. FLA/CAL had major surgery and that hasn't worked out so well for them, not so far anyway.
Nothing to do with what you just wrote.
But remember when we discussed about the ‘I got this’ look.
I have been watching the Physical 100 series and that Sung Bin guy got that ‘I got this’ look during his first challenge. Just wish our boys get that look this playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
you effectively are saying that they are, considering the leafs have the 4th best record(WITH the most man games lost in the NHL) and would be substantial underdogs...

nobody playing the leafs in the post season would be considered substantial favorites given the talent on the leafs regardless of the past playoff failures.
if the leafs play to their potential there as good as anyone else in the nhl, if you think they are some big underdog vs anyone, i would suggest you're the one dreaming.
Last I looked we were 5th best but whatever, that means nothing anyway. The gap between Boston and us is roughly the same as the gap between us and the team in 17th place, what does that tell you?

Potential and talent is nice but it doesn't mean you're going to win in the playoffs. If you think otherwise, you haven't been paying attention to this team over the last 5 years.

If the Leafs play Boston in round 2, barring something drastic happening (like Ullmark being unable to play due to injury), Boston will be favoured, I'd guess by at least a 3-2 margin. Feel free to bookmark this post and ridicule me when I'm proven to be wrong (and when pigs fly).

Nothing to do with what you just wrote.
But remember when we discussed about the ‘I got this’ look.
I have been watching the Physical 100 series and that Sung Bin guy got that ‘I got this’ look during his first challenge. Just wish our boys get that look this playoffs.
One can hope. I'm still optimistic, but I can't help but wonder if I'm just a fool for thinking this group will magically become something it hasn't been for the last 5 years. I'm still haunted by the way this group got run out of the rink in JT's return to the Island and the post I read here the next day that said this group will never win anything because they don't have the heart (paraphrasing). I remember it to this day because at the time, a part of me was thinking that that poster may well be 100% correct and so far, everything points to that being the case. But still, we looked pretty good against TB. ;)

As the saying goes - hope it the last one to die.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Not nearly as good. Hmm OK I'll bite, what makes you say that? I mean I think everyone is waiting for them to cool down a bit but "not nearly", that's overdoing it IMO.
Easy question: Do you think the 2022-2023 Boston Bruins are among the greatest teams in NHL history? Because their record indicates they may be one of the top 5 greatest teams in NHL history. With almost the same roster that barely squeaked into the playoffs last year.

Reactions: Damisoph

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
It is not that Rielly won't get involved if he has to .. he has shown da leadership to stand up for teammates which is why he does have great leadership skills .. I was one of few guys who thought he could be a captain .. but Jakob is a bit of a dick and plays a nasty game .. he can skate too, he has better strength and size, but he will stick it to guys going to our net and on wall too .. forwards don't like it when you make it very unpleasant for them to try to score .. this is what Jakob brings to table .. and after he reefs you into wall he can then take puck from you and move it up ice nicely too

But can he play against a 2-on-1 as well as Rielly though? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad