Blow this team up already!

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
If Tavares and Marner are on this team next year i will puke.

I hear this sentiment a lot. Explain how they are traded? Who is going to trade for 1 year of an $11 million player? What do you expect to get in return for 1 year of Mitch marner? Lol "a number one dman" "an elite starting goalie".

These guys are actually the worst players to trade given they have zero term left and ludicrous cap hits. Any real contender already has their pieces in place. Any rebuilding team can wait one more year and sign them for zero assets in the off season.

Theyre not getting traded. They will have to walk.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
I hear this sentiment a lot. Explain how they are traded? Who is going to trade for 1 year of an $11 million player? What do you expect to get in return for 1 year of Mitch marner? Lol "a number one dman" "an elite starting goalie".

These guys are actually the worst players to trade given they have zero term left and ludicrous cap hits. Any real contender already has their pieces in place. Any rebuilding team can wait one more year and sign them for zero assets in the off season.

Cap retention with an extension. Literally dozens of examples.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
We're going to run it back next season
Like we did this season
And the season prior
And the season prior
And the season prior

And expect different results

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Cap retention with an extension. Literally dozens of examples.
So you want the leafs to retain cap space extend Mitch marner to God knows what he wants and you think teams will line up at trade deadline with $13 million or whateger Paul marner demands? Yeah good luck with that trade. Maybe if it was 7 or 8 Mil.

Dubus thought it was too risky to do a sign and trade with Edmonton for hyman.

HandshakeLineRespect

Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
So you want the leafs to retain cap space extend Mitch marner to God knows what he wants and you think teams will line up at trade deadline with $13 million or whateger Paul marner demands? Yeah good luck with that trade. Maybe if it was 7 or 8 Mil.

Dubus thought it was too risky to do a sign and trade with Edmonton for hyman.
Cap increase next year. A couple 2/3 mill retained on Marner. He gets the 8th year on an extension. What planet are you from to think this isn't totally reasonable and plausible lol

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Cap increase next year. A couple 2/3 mill retained on Marner. He gets the 8th year on an extension. What planet are you from to think this isn't totally reasonable and plausible lol

Ok and tell me how much he signs this 8 year extension for. So the leafs are transparent "were signing you 8 years max and intend to trade you where we want".

Newsflash not everyone 1. Has 13 million cap space for marner. 2. Will even want Mitch marner for that.

He's stuck in the impossible zone. If some garbage team like Columbus would want him for example they'd just wait like they did with Johnny and not lose a single asset.

You think Mitch marner will sign an extension in season? And he will be traded at trade deadline? Yeah no. First of all the optics of toronto being sellers at tdl would be awful. Second no one is taking 8 years of Marner at 13m.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Like we did this season
And the season prior
And the season prior
And the season prior

For once I'm not so sure.

Keefe is a given. Marner is a maybe but there's a very real chance he's not re-signed because they can't afford him and they shouldn't do it anyways.

Reactions: HolyCrap

HandshakeLineRespect

Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Ok and tell me how much he signs this 8 year extension for. So the leafs are transparent "were signing you 8 years max and intend to trade you where we want".

Newsflash not everyone 1. Has 13 million cap space for marner. 2. Will even want Mitch marner for that.

He's stuck in the impossible zone. If some garbage team like Columbus would want him for example they'd just wait like they did with Johnny and not lose a single asset.

You think Mitch marner will sign an extension in season? And he will be traded at trade deadline? Yeah no. First of all the optics of toronto being sellers at tdl would be awful. Second no one is taking 8 years of Marner at 13m.
You have a very rudimentary understanding of how things actually work in the NHL.

HandshakeLineRespect

Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Ok how about this how much will Mitch marner sign this extension of 8 years for before the sign and trade at trade deadline?
According to you he's getting 13 million lol which is a number you are pulling out of your ass, you have no clue what you are talking about. If he goes to a no state tax team he would take a haircut like literally every other player who signs in Florida, Dallas, Nashville, Vegas. Also, why in your galaxy brain trade scenario does it have to be at the trade deadline? There is this thing called the offseason where trades happen all the time. Give your head a shake, lots of high profile players have been traded recently with a year remaining on their contract plus and extension.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
According to you he's getting 13 million lol which is a number you are pulling out of your ass, you have no clue what you are talking about. If he goes to a no state tax team he would take a haircut like literally every other player who signs in Florida, Dallas, Nashville, Vegas. Also, why in your galaxy brain trade scenario does it have to be at the trade deadline? There is this thing called the offseason where trades happen all the time. Give your head a shake, lots of high profile players have been traded recently with a year remaining on their contract plus and extension.
I've asked you a simple question in your sign and trade 8 year deal how much is he signing for? Prices go up each year he is going to want more than Nylander who just signed at 11.5. There will be no favors for a team that is looking to trade him. It will be his last big contract.

So how much will he sign for? Spare me the ad hominems and actually defend your position.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018

If Marner waives you could get a ton of cap space and picks/prospects from a playoff team. Probably wouldn't "win" the trade, but would have the cap space and assets that would create options. There would be a better version of the team if the right moves were made with the options.

HandshakeLineRespect

Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
I've asked you a simple question in your sign and trade 8 year deal how much is he signing for? Prices go up each year he is going to want more than Nylander who just signed at 11.5. There will be no favors for a team that is looking to trade him. It will be his last big contract.

So how much will he sign for? Spare me the ad hominems and actually defend your posit
Bro my position is that it is possible to trade Marner this off season. You seem to think is a ridiculous proposition. There is plenty of evidence to back up what im saying. If Marner is being traded to another team why exactly would Nylander be his direct comparable exactly? Pulling random contract number out of my ass to answer a non sequitur question is pointless.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
If Marner waives you could get a ton of cap space and picks/prospects from a playoff team. Probably wouldn't "win" the trade, but would have the cap space and assets that would create options. There would be a better version of the team if the right moves were made with the options.
You'd get the cap space but the return would be low. Could wait 1 year for him and cost you nothing. Keep in mind any serious playoff team doesn't have 10+ million of cap lying around and is Mitch marner the missing piece?

I see a Columbus Johnny gaudreau or nyi John Tavares situation here.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

So how much will he sign for? Spare me the ad hominems and actually defend your position.

Is he signing in a tax free market?

To Seattle?

If high tax market like Anaheim probably 12 million.

If He wants to stay. He will come in around Willy I would think. He knows he got too much last time (public opinion) he signed because Jeff o Neil yelled at him last time.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Like we did this season
And the season prior
And the season prior
And the season prior

Management might expect different results but the players and fans know what’s up.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Is he signing in a tax free market?

To Seattle?

If high tax market like Anaheim probably 12 million.

If He wants to stay. He will come in around Willy I would think. He knows he got too much last time (public opinion) he signed because Jeff o Neil yelled at him last time.

Yeah I mean if he signs in Dallas or something he'd sign cheaper. I hear these asinine arguments "well sign him and trade him". Um then he'll sign in Toronto for Toronto going rates just like Nylander did.

Nylander can demand a trade tomorrow and move his 11.5 million Toronto contract to tax free Nevada and play in Vegas if need be. Marner would be stupid to not do the same.

Keep in mind the guy turned down an offer sheet last time because he felt it endeared him to Toronto. He's going to be looking to get every penny this time.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Yeah I mean if he signs in Dallas or something he'd sign cheaper. I hear these asinine arguments "well sign him and trade him". Um then he'll sign in Toronto for Toronto going rates just like Nylander did.

Nylander can demand a trade tomorrow and move his 11.5 million Toronto contract to tax free Nevada and play in Vegas if need be. Marner would be stupid to not do the same.

Keep in mind the guy turned down an offer sheet last time because he felt it endeared him to Toronto. He's going to be looking to get every penny this time.
Vegas wouldn’t want Nylander at 11.5.
Not a chance, they’re not stupid.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Vegas wouldn’t want Nylander at 11.5.
Not a chance, they’re not stupid.
I know that's my point. I keep hearing "we will sign and trade marner to a place where taxes are low like Vegas".

Um no you won't. Marner will demand his market value ie more than 11.5 million which was going rate last year.

He won't say "gee guys you can sign me on my last contract at 8 million because just think of all the tax savings I get in Vegas when you trade me there". Nylander demanded his 11.5 million and tomorrow he can demand a trade. That's the sensible move.

It's not going to happen but we have delusional leaf fans that won't acknowledge how bad a situation this is.

It's going to be Columbus and Johnny all over.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Bro my position is that it is possible to trade Marner this off season. You seem to think is a ridiculous proposition. There is plenty of evidence to back up what im saying. If Marner is being traded to another team why exactly would Nylander be his direct comparable exactly? Pulling random contract number out of my ass to answer a non sequitur question is pointless.
I'm not saying it's impossible. The return will be non existent. The only thing it creates is cap space which is coming in 1 year anyways.

Im fed up with these "we should trade marner for a top dman" idiotic posts. Maybe you get a pick and a prospect YEARS from being nhl players if that.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
guys relax lol, it's coming

this is the last year of this, that is 100% for certain

they're gonna get blown out 6-0 in game 5 and that is for sure. Then, this new CEO guy or whoever will show his face and sweep out the trash

Shanahan is gone, Keefe is gone.. no doubts.

Don't know about Treliving, but he could be gone too, let's see

As far as on the ice, it's going to look a lot different next year. Only Matthews is untouchable whether anyone likes it or not... regular season hero playoff bust for sure but he sells tickets so...

Samsonov is a flake, he'll be forgotten by the entire league by next season....probably his last season in the NHL... Tavares at least tries and is still an intelligent guy and has integrity so he'll likely be spared for next year and with his contract it's not like they have a choice anyways... Marner and Nylander are both good trade chips so they'll look at those guys as well. One or both of them are gone

Then you get down to Domi, Reaves and Bertuzzi who are all sh*t disturbers which is what every team needs but when you only have 2 or 3 of them and the rest of the team are snowflakes like this team is then it's a no-win situation. This roster doesn't gel, they don't mix, there are too many liberal butterflies and no-namers for anything to happen. They aren't "almost there", they aren't "close", they are as far off as any other loser team in winning a championship. They are honestly no better off than they were during the Antropov/Blake/whoever else days.

It's over, they need all need to be separated and moved on. This was evident years ago but apparently these guys sell tickets for the team in the regular season so they keep them around because they generate big money for the corporation. But after this playoff series even the corporation realises they've milked these cows for every last drop and that last drop comes on Monday night.

It's going to be one gigantic spring and summer cleaning, book it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad