Gardiner --------> Muzzin

Hainsey ---------> Brodie
Zaitsev -----------> Holl

Dermott* -------> Dermott
Polak -------------> Bogosian

Carrick ----------> Lehtonen

Andersen -------> Andersen
McElhinney ---> Campbell

The best part of this picture is that he's actually drafting amazingly well, and doesn't often trade away picks. He inherited a pretty barren cupboard and a couple disastrous contracts, and he's been able to unload them while maintaining competitiveness and stockpiling young talent.

His ability to rebuild the depth of the organization with value picks and smart contracts is what separates him from many GMs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Everything Dubas did this offseason tturned into gold.

Not everything. Vesey/Barabanov/Lehtonen have been pretty duddy. Dell was lost to waivers too.

But that kind of attrition is built into Dubas' team building strategy.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
GM of the year by far. It's funny media handed it to Bergevin so early and I hear crickets about even a compliment with Dubas.

Yep. Media talking up bergevin on like week 2 of the season for spending $20m on secondary/tertiary players.

Leafs crushing it almost halfway through the year and not one media person has named Dubas as exec of the year contender. Or even really praised him very much at all.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Not everything. Vesey/Barabanov/Lehtonen have been pretty duddy. Dell was lost to waivers too.

But that kind of attrition is built into Dubas' team building strategy.

I agree that Vesey hasnt turned out. But Barabonov and Lehtonen have been progressing nicely and not looked out of place. They have added value so I wouldnt call them duddy!!! As for Dell, with the goalie depth in the organization he was behind Andersen, Campbell and Hutch. It was inevitable that we were going to lose either Hutch or Dell. They are NHL backups and should be playing someplace.

If anything good on Dubas for providing the depth that he did. So I would give him big pass on everything but Vesey.

Reactions: zeke

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
It was just wishful thinking of people who just don't like who he is. Some of whom were basically cheering for failure to see it.

No Dubas fans, neutral fans, or outsides observers ever thought that was the case.
I agree. Hockey is an old boys club. So when a young rookie who likes new age methods and statistics replaces someone who has been in the game for 50 years, as well as beats out someone from a known hockey family, it ruffled feathers. This isn't standard. This isn't the normal formula. This is change. So for some Dubas was in their bad books before he even sat down at the press conference.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Having a 34 year-old Gm is not a bad thing at all. We've got a top young Gm for years to come. Some of these old Gms like Rutherford and Poile look lost.

Reactions: Go4soda

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Yep. Media talking up bergevin on like week 2 of the season for spending $20m on secondary/tertiary players.

Leafs crushing it almost halfway through the year and not one media person has named Dubas as exec of the year contender. Or even really praised him very much at all.

Almost as bizarre as Lou winning GMOTY last season when his team was clearly trending towards missing the playoffs.

Reactions: Menzinger and zeke

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Having a 34 year-old Gm is not a bad thing at all. We've got a top young Gm for years to come. Some of these old Gms like Rutherford and Poile look lost.

It's not like most GM's are where they are because they demonstrated that they are the best in the world at what they do. Most of them are literally just friends of the decision makers.

Reactions: AllDay28 and zeke

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I agree. Hockey is an old boys club. So when a young rookie who likes new age methods and statistics replaces someone who has been in the game for 50 years, as well as beats out someone from a known hockey family, it ruffled feathers. This isn't standard. This isn't the normal formula. This is change. So for some Dubas was in their bad books before he even sat down at the press conference.
Kudos to Shanny
The mastermind

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
I agree that Vesey hasnt turned out. But Barabonov and Lehtonen have been progressing nicely and not looked out of place. They have added value so I wouldnt call them duddy!!! As for Dell, with the goalie depth in the organization he was behind Andersen, Campbell and Hutch. It was inevitable that we were going to lose either Hutch or Dell. They are NHL backups and should be playing someplace.

If anything good on Dubas for providing the depth that he did. So I would give him big pass on everything but Vesey.
Meh, Vesey was worth a try for depth at that price. A warm body with size. Hasn’t worked out, but you win some you lose some. I don’t blame dubas at all for giving him a shot.

Reactions: meefer

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Imagine if some fans had their way and we had Hunter as GM and drafted Hanafin over Marner and Nick Ritchie over Nylander

Reactions: zeke

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The best part of this picture is that he's actually drafting amazingly well, and doesn't often trade away picks. He inherited a pretty barren cupboard and a couple disastrous contracts, and he's been able to unload them while maintaining competitiveness and stockpiling young talent.

His ability to rebuild the depth of the organization with value picks and smart contracts is what separates him from many GMs.

"Trust the plan, trust the system" actually turned out to be a legitimate approach, go figure.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Kudos to Shanny
The mastermind

It would have been SO SO SO DAMN EASY for Shanny to just stick with Lou and Babcock. SO SO SO DAMN EASY.

Shanny would have been praised and blameless for doing that.

Hell, he would have been praised and blameless even if he had hired Hunter to replace Lou.

would have been SO SO SO DAMN easy for shanny to stick with the old boys club.

Thank god we have a prez with the sense to sniff out that old bullshit and the balls to make a bold aggressive move.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Hunter took Mitch over Babs choice Hanifin ... there are always disagreements in drafting ... Babs wanted to upgrade defense first which is what many hockey heads would have done ... it is always good to go defense when there is a franchise defenseman available ... Noah was always 2nd/3rd best skater in 97 draft to McJesus/Barzel and he is 6ft3 and strong ... in another couple years you may be looking at a Norris winner ... defense always take many years to develop into studs ... but a winger can be/close to league best in his 1st or 2nd year ... glad Hunter chose Mitch ... we would not have had patience to develop Noah

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
It would have been SO SO SO DAMN EASY for Shanny to just stick with Lou and Babcock. SO SO SO DAMN EASY.

Shanny would have been praised and blameless for doing that.

Hell, he would have been praised and blameless even if he had hired Hunter to replace Lou.

would have been SO SO SO DAMN easy for shanny to stick with the old boys club.

Thank god we have a prez with the sense to sniff out that old bullshit and the balls to make a bold aggressive move.
Yes he could turn out to be the best exec in Leafs History , only second to Mr.Smythe , he’s truly done a magnificent job with his ability to be so forward thinking and bringing in a new era with new fresh ideas .
I know I keep saying this but right from the start , the brilliance of changing our Logo to represent the past but move us into the future , love it and from there to put together state of the art facilities and spend all the money they can on the scouting and the Marlies and all the hockey operations
Couldn’t be better , we can be proud once more as Leaf fans

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Hunter took Mitch over Babs choice Hanifin ... there are always disagreements in drafting ... Babs wanted to upgrade defense first which is what many hockey heads would have done ... it is always good to go defense when there is a franchise defenseman available ... Noah was always 2nd/3rd best skater in 97 draft to McJesus/Barzel and he is 6ft3 and strong ... in another couple years you may be looking at a Norris winner ... defense always take many years to develop into studs ... but a winger can be/close to league best in his 1st or 2nd year ... glad Hunter chose Mitch ... we would not have had patience to develop Noah
Hanifan can get much better, but I have doubts he'll ever be close to a Norris winner. I did hear Leafs liked Provorov better but who knows.

I think the thing is, right after 2015, the fast, speedy, smaller forwards started to be in. Leafs were ahead of the curve abit.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hanifin's closest comparable on the Leafs is Travis Dermott. Decent players. Not what you want from elite picks.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Like obviously the true test comes in the playoffs, but at this point, there’s absolutely nothing negative you can say about him.

Very smart gm that we are lucky to have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad