Dubas appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
My goodness, are you serious? Nobody said that his numbers were better than those offered. "Tavares/ROR/Forsberg/Ovechkin/Barkov/Nylander/Suzuki/Bergeron/Crosby/Malkin?" Each one of them earns far more than Kerfoot for many reasons, save Suzuki, and he's far from being an established player. Which, by the way, was the comment from my post which you avoided. Either my language usage is too advanced for you to understand, or you're purposely attempting to misrepresent. I leave it to you to explain.

LOL come on let's try to play nice. Yes, I noticed "established" and Kerfoot is more established than Suzuki but IIRC the poster said Kerfoot had better numbers that those players 5v5. Listen, I do not mind Kerfoot and I defended him this summer when some said that they would take a 2nd for him but I found the original post a little misleading.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't think that's what that poster was saying at all, actually.

that being said....

Kerfoot: EV 16gl/39pt/+12 pace
Suzuki: EV 13gl/36pt/+14 pace

and last year

Kerfoot: EV 10gl/32pt/-3 pace
Suzuki: EV 8gl/31pt/-17 pace

You are making it Kerfoot vs Suzuki which was not my intent. I do not mind Kerfoot. Original post said that Kerfoot had better numbers 5v5 than those players which I kind of choked on. ;)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You are making it Kerfoot vs Suzuki which was not my intent. I do not mind Kerfoot. Original post said that Kerfoot had better numbers 5v5 than those players which I kind of choked on. ;)

But his numbers are better than Suzukis

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
What I have found intriguing with Dubas is every level he has been GM at, his club has set franchise points records within 2 to 4 years of him taking over. Unfortunately last season and this season are shortened so we can't evaluate on raw points fairly. That said, my preference for standings has always been winning percentage. Not points percentage because I don't like points for losing. Also you can't compare across eras.

All this said, was looking through and only twice in Leaf history has the club topped .600 for winning percentage. 0.633 in 1924-25 and 0.625 in 1920-21. To break the club record this year we'd need 36 wins. 21 wins in our remaining 35 games.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
LOL come on let's try to play nice. Yes, I noticed "established" and Kerfoot is more established than Suzuki but IIRC the poster said Kerfoot had better numbers that those players 5v5. Listen, I do not mind Kerfoot and I defended him this summer when some said that they would take a 2nd for him but I found the original post a little misleading.

Apologies for the late reply, and apologies for the terse reply...time to play nice.

Reactions: ToneDog

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach

Jack Han with an interesting Dubas story: back even he was the GM for the Greyhounds, he and his staff needed to see if Darnell Nurse would be coming back to the OHL or if he’ll be staying up in the NHL. So they went to the Oilers’ training camp and were able to come to the conclusion that he’ll be coming back because none other than Martin Marincin was outplaying him. This might have impacted the shelf life we’ve seen from Marincin.

Reactions: The Iceman and zeke

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
This is really the first year this is fully Dubas' team imo. The 2019 offseason he had to make moves to address the mess Lou had left in terms the Zaitsev contract (which led to us having Ceci for a year, not ideal) and Marleau's third year. This past offseason he didn't have to make those adjustments and in his first attempt he's been able to fix our defensive problem while getting great depth options. It's amazing to see

Reactions: Slyfox

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
This is really the first year this is fully Dubas' team imo. The 2019 offseason he had to make moves to address the mess Lou had left in terms the Zaitsev contract (which led to us having Ceci for a year, not ideal) and Marleau's third year. This past offseason he didn't have to make those adjustments and in his first attempt he's been able to fix our defensive problem while getting great depth options. It's amazing to see
Agreed also having his coach in as well to start the season.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Spezza - 1.5 million
Simmonds 2.0 million
Thornton - 3.0 million
Bogosian - 1.8 million

That’s what those players could easily be making but they all took less. In reality Dubas got them all signed for under 4. That’s crazy good value even if my valuations are off it’s still huge savings.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Spezza - 1.5 million
Simmonds 2.0 million
Thornton - 3.0 million
Bogosian - 1.8 million

That’s what those players could easily be making but they all took less. In reality Dubas got them all signed for under 4. That’s crazy good value even if my valuations are off it’s still huge savings.
Yep Dubas did an excellent job there. Pray they are all healthy come playoff time

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I don't normally have a lot to say about Dubas. I don't care that he's young, I don't care if he likes advanced stats or the eye test. Honestly, I liked Burke. With the players it's interesting to point out how a guy is trending and what parts of his game are clicking and which aren't. With GM's there's not a whole lot to be said during the season. They are evaluated on the macro sense; it's the roster that does the talking. With the Leafs currently having the best record in the league I think it's fair to throw Dubas his props. The additions have been fantastic as a whole: Thornton, Simmonds, Bogosian, and Brodie all bringing value far beyond their cap hits. The team plays with a commitment to defense and hard work. Even with the rash of injuries to tons of our depth, guys are stepping up and filling in. Kudos to the coach and the guy who hired him and got the players.

Our record is speaking for Dubas and it says good job. Our prospect pool is speaking for Dubas and saying good job. The one that really matters is the playoff results. I hope that it says once again, good job.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Spezza - 1.5 million
Simmonds 2.0 million
Thornton - 3.0 million
Bogosian - 1.8 million

It also shows the obsession over what our stars make isn't the end of the world at all. People always ignore what the other 40+ million will make.

And all the guys who took "Cheaper deals" for 3 years instead of 5 or 6 need new contracts soon and none will sign those same deals again. (Boeser, Point, Laine, Ktachuck, ETC)

Reactions: zeke

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
It's interesting that Kerfoot is being more productive than Kadri this year. If Kadri is playing like this in Toronto, is everyone saying he's regressing?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It's interesting that Kerfoot is being more productive than Kadri this year. If Kadri is playing like this in Toronto, is everyone saying he's regressing?

Of course! he also has one more year at 4.5 and then he;'s going to want to cash in

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Spezza - 1.5 million
Simmonds 2.0 million
Thornton - 3.0 million
Bogosian - 1.8 million

Anyone out there that can Photoshop some hockey playing Leafs?

board-of-innovation-if-you-build-it-they-will-come-quote.png

Reactions: zeke

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I would assume so, why wouldn't that be the case? If he's regressing then he's regressing, what difference does it make where he's playing?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Since trade:

Even Strength

Kadri: 13:17toi, -3.3zdiff, 48.7xgf% (-3.3rel), 21gl/38pt/-5 pace
Kerf: 12:56toi, -1.8zdiff, 50.4xgf% (-1.3rel), 11gl/33pt/+1 pace

Special Teams

Kadri: PP 3:56toi, 9gl/19pt pace --- PK 0:07toi
Kerf: PP 1:10toi, 1gl/4pt pace ----- PK 0:37toi

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Since trade:

Even Strength

Kadri: 13:17toi, -3.3zdiff, 48.7xgf% (-3.3rel), 21gl/38pt/-5 pace
Kerf: 12:56toi, -1.8zdiff, 50.4xgf% (-1.3rel), 11gl/33pt/+1 pace

Special Teams

Kadri: PP 3:56toi, 9gl/19pt pace --- PK 0:07toi
Kerf: PP 1:10toi, 1gl/4pt pace ----- PK 0:37toi

Most importantly:

Kerfoot: 2 game suspension
Kadri: 0 games suspended

Who's the real gritty loose cannon here?

Reactions: ToDavid and zeke

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
KD has to be considered early favorite for executive of the year. He has assembled a deep roster that has to this point withstood many injuries, and has the best record in the NHL. All while being a "cap strapped" team with a flat cap...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad