Dubas appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Back around the time Babcock was let go there was a contingent calling for Dubas’ head.

Obviously, there’s not much of that talk these days.

Curious how safe people feel Dubas is right now and how that ties into playoff performance. If we have a first round exit again does he only get one more year to try getting out of the first round after that?

If we go deep is he safe for another two to three years or so?

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Back around the time Babcock was let go there was a contingent calling for Dubas’ head.

Curious how safe people feel Dubas is right now and how that ties into playoff performance. If we have a first round exit again does he only get one more year to try getting out of the first round after that?

He's on the clock if they go out early again. The end goal is to win a cup. He has his coach, he's been around long enough to leave his imprint on the team that he wants.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It certainly struck me as odd that folks think a GM is on the hot seat after a couple seasons vs the guys in Winnipeg and Montreal who have been on the job for years longer

Reactions: zeke

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Mr Friggen Dubas , and Keafe you have done a amazing job with the team ....
But ....
Please please go out and get Reeves from Vegas or anyone bigger than him and tougher please or these injuries are never going to stop and they will get to our even bigger stars soon and in the playoffs

Reactions: Confucius

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Mr Friggen Dubas , and Keafe you have done a amazing job with the team ....
But ....
Please please go out and get Reeves from Vegas or anyone bigger than him and tougher please or these injuries are never going to stop and they will get to our even bigger stars soon and in the playoffs

I don't think a goon can stop injuries. At least not the type they are having.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
It certainly struck me as odd that folks think a GM is on the hot seat after a couple seasons vs the guys in Winnipeg and Montreal who have been on the job for years longer

I never understood that. It's pretty insane Bergevin is still Gm in Montreal. Only Holand has been Gm less time than Dubas out of the 7 Gms in the North

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
I don't think a goon can stop injuries. At least not the type they are having.
Sorry a goon that can play a bit firstly ...
Having said that I completely wholeheartedly disagree with you from personal experience on both sides of that equation and from watching hockey for over 55 years and from when I see other teams that have these , and I mean the meanest and toughest of them Chara , Reeves , Wilson ... I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen to much liberties taken against Bergeron ,Pasta , ant Vegas players , or Ovi or Bachstrom or their goalies ..
Think back to when we had Orr and or Mcleran ?
( and I’m not talking that we get someone like that by the way ) but think back , there wasn’t a lot of leafs taking any bull shiiiiit from other teams was there ?
Sorry in this case I think your wrong

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

It was just wishful thinking of people who just don't like who he is. Some of whom were basically cheering for failure to see it.

No Dubas fans, neutral fans, or outsides observers ever thought that was the case.

Reactions: zeke

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Inherited Team --> Team Dubas

* = ELC

Matthews* ---> Matthews
Marner* ------> Marner
Nylander* ---> Nylander

Kadri -----------> Tavares
Hyman --------> Hyman
VanRiemsdyk -> Thornton

Bozak ----------> Kerfoot
Marleau -------> Mikheyev
Brown ----------> Engvall

Plekanec -------> Spezza
Komarov -------> Simmonds
Moore -----------> Boyd

Kapanen* ------> Robertson*
Johnsson* ------> Anderson

Rielly -------------> Rielly
Gardiner --------> Muzzin

Hainsey ---------> Brodie
Zaitsev -----------> Holl

Dermott* -------> Dermott
Polak -------------> Bogosian

Carrick ----------> Lehtonen

Andersen -------> Andersen
McElhinney ---> Campbell

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019

* = ELC

Matthews* ---> Matthews
Marner* ------> Marner
Nylander* ---> Nylander

Hyman --------> Hyman
VanRiemsdyk -> Thornton

Plekanec -------> Spezza
Moore -----------> Boyd

McElhinney ---> Campbell
Zeke , you have outdone yourself ! My mission cap is tipped to you ...
Great job !! What a Friggen job , Dubas you da man

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

* = ELC

Matthews* ---> Matthews
Marner* ------> Marner
Nylander* ---> Nylander

Hyman --------> Hyman
VanRiemsdyk -> Thornton

Plekanec -------> Spezza
Moore -----------> Boyd

McElhinney ---> Campbell

Didn't he bring in Marner and Hyman?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Personally I don't think you can judge anything until you get a full, regular 82 game season. All the pieces are there now to judge him on but these partial seasons screw it up a bit.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Dubas deserves credit for bringing back Hutchinson after the season he had for us last year. I’d reckon the vast majority of us would’ve avoided him like the plague after last season, and while it’s true he was brought in to be our #4 guy, his acquisition has been huge for us in the face of injury trouble. 3-1-0, a shutout, 1.76 GAA, and a .943 SV%.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Didn't he bring in Marner and Hyman?

it's really fuzzy when you look into the time when Dubas was AGM

things were done by committee and sometimes hunter and dubas would take lead on some things

people tend to credit the draft with hunter and trades with dubas... i remember dubas is the one that traded kessel, as an example.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

things were done by committee and sometimes hunter and dubas would take lead on some things

people tend to credit the draft with hunter and trades with dubas... i remember dubas is the one that traded kessel, as an example.

I got into a big fight about this with someone on here but no, Dubas isn’t solely responsible for the Kessel trade. I’m not going to get into it now, but there are multiple sources that go into detail about how it was mostly Shanahan at the forefront of that deal.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
I got into a big fight about this with someone on here but no, Dubas isn’t solely responsible for the Kessel trade. I’m not going to get into it now, but there are multiple sources that go into detail about how it was mostly Shanahan at the forefront of that deal.

i went back to watch the presser and yeah you're right

i think the one thing i maybe misremembered was dubas is the one who did the trade call and by extension was the one who did the conference

but a lot of it was done through committee.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Hunter pretty much had full control over the draft. Just compare 2016 and 2017 to 2019 and 2020... Not even remotely the same philosophy. I think Dubas trusts his scouts a little bit more (there are two layers between him and the normal scouts) and allows for Lilley to take the lead on drafting. Under Hunter there was only one, and the main difference from before he arrived was that he just made that one layer a little bit longer (instead of having just one director of amateur scouting, he had 4 regional directors).

We haven't even really seen the full potential of Dubas drafting right now. I don't think the 2018 draft was the best he could have done (even though he was able to get Sandin) but he only had a couple of weeks with the board, and 2020 was impacted by the pandemic and just lacked depth overall, so I wasn't the biggest fan of some of the picks he made after Niemela and Hirvonen (although the Miettinen, Villeneuve, and Schingoethe picks made up for it). 2021 will be even tougher, but it is at least a deeper draft and he should be able to find a couple of quality prospects and hopefully another goalie project or two.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
i went back to watch the presser and yeah you're right

i think the one thing i maybe misremembered was dubas is the one who did the trade call and by extension was the one who did the conference

but a lot of it was done through committee.

Either way, wouldn't say he inherited them.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Dybas had some bad breaks early in his career that definitely put him (and Shanahan) on the hot seat. Individually, every playoff series but last years is one we were the underdog in and should have lost and we didnt look out of our depth in any of them. If one of those breaks for us then the pressure wouldn't have mounted.

I have a hard time believing that even if the Leafs were to get bounced early this year that ownership would think removing the guy who put this team together is a good idea.

One thing that you'll always have in Dubas is a guy who let's the information make decisions for him, and who spends a lot of money making sure he has better information than anyone else. If the hypothesis of which information should be prioritized is wrong, that can always be adjusted if it doesn't work. I will take that guy all day over one that's just out of his depth like Benning/Chiarelli.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
So yeah, Leafs have fantastic depth. All I heard was how little they had...

The funny thing is, all these players who signed for "Cheaper. better: deals all need new contracts soon and will get huge payraises (Laine, Point, ETC).

Dubas has it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad