Dubas appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadianhero

Jan 16, 2021
The season will not matter. The playoffs will. The Sens look forward to playing the Leafs round 1. Afterwards an appreciation post could be made or not.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Like obviously the true test comes in the playoffs, but at this point, there’s absolutely nothing negative you can say about him.

Very smart gm that we are lucky to have
Good points , but I don’t know , sometimes and I think in this case , the GM’s job will be done before the playoffs , it will be interesting if he goes all in to add 1 or even 2 key players as rentals to see if we can win it all , I would love him to go that route , so let’s say he does ... then the playoff success falls on the players and coaching ..
So if they don’t get past the first or second , does that mean he didn’t do everything possible to put them in a sound position to win ? Well I think not ..
I think he’s done a a terrific second to none job already , the additions and subtractions he’s orchestrated have been good enough until we can add for the playoffs in my mind

Reactions: Atomos2

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Inherited Team --> Team Dubas

* = ELC

Matthews* ---> Matthews
Marner* ------> Marner
Nylander* ---> Nylander

Kadri -----------> Tavares
Hyman --------> Hyman
VanRiemsdyk -> Thornton

Bozak ----------> Kerfoot
Marleau -------> Mikheyev
Brown ----------> Engvall

Plekanec -------> Spezza
Komarov -------> Simmonds
Moore -----------> Boyd

Kapanen* ------> Robertson*
Johnsson* ------> Anderson

Rielly -------------> Rielly
Gardiner --------> Muzzin

Hainsey ---------> Brodie
Zaitsev -----------> Holl

Dermott* -------> Dermott
Polak -------------> Bogosian

Carrick ----------> Lehtonen

Andersen -------> Andersen
McElhinney ---> Campbell
And out of the inherited players only Rielly and Willy were part of the organization before Dubas became AGM... Willy was drafted in June of 14 and Dubas was hired in July of 14 and assigned to oversee the Marlies that year so really only Rielly is one that he doesn’t have his fingerprints on.

Reactions: zeke

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
IMO only way he’s no longer the GM (aside from him sabotaging the roster by firing high end assets to the sun for 0) will be when one of these older vets we have around the org on league min have been groomed for a few years in the org. And are ready/wanting the challenge. otherwise I see a guy like Hyman stepping into management once his days are over, both scenarios IMO see Dubas taking over a Masai type role. Kyle is bright and young. He will be around for a long time, boomers, mouth breathers and knuckle draggers best adjust quickly or maybe find another team to support if you really dislike the gm that much.
He’s in charge of his childhood team in the biggest market with the biggest cup drought. Doubt he walks away from that until the task is complete

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The Leafs had a bunch of UFAs with trade clauses. Playoff teams don't have cap space for them, non-playoff teams will wait for their contract to expire. . We had to retain on Kessel, still taking up more cap space then several players to this day. Can't say this was poor asset management on Dubas's part, blame past management.

Babcock might just be the 3rd best past coach the Leafs have had in my lifetime. In fact, if you were to put him in back in the Pat Burns or Roger Neilson-eras, he might be the best. Babcock's Achilles heel is he's from a time where as a boss he wants you, he tells you, you listen and do as your told. If you don't, you're punished. That's the way it was. People wouldn't of liked it in the past either, but you were expected to fall in line. Some people have commented on a Keefe interview that he sounds like Babcock. Because their goals are completely the same! The only difference is, Keefe is going to let you play to your strengths, and get you to want to do what is desired. The path is the same, but Babcock used a stick where Keefe leads with a carrot. Don't think Mike will realize he didn't change with the times, but be blaming everyone around him for not falling in line when he told them to.

To me, Dubas has improved the entire package. It's paying dividends. For example, he looks brilliant getting Bogosian, but I really think this has more to do with him replacing Babcock. These past two games in Edmonton wasn't like Babcock telling them to play that way, it was Keefe motivating them to want to play that way. Having a forward WANTING to come down to the hash mark instead of cherry-picking waiting for great outlet pass from a 6th defenseman who has a fore-checker on top of him is making the defense, goalies, team, Dubas, Keefe and everyone look good. Dubas has this organization giving every opportunity for borderline players to succeed. Even if that means letting someone like Josh Leivo go to another organization if there's no room. This team is taking care of players like they're humans. Whether you're hurt like Mikheyev or life has fallen off the tracks like Galchenyuk, Dubas is working with players. Think it's obvious Dubas is doing a LOT more then just staring at spreadsheets.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Hanifin's closest comparable on the Leafs is Travis Dermott. Decent players. Not what you want from elite picks.
Wait and watch in another 2/4 years it will be races every year between Sergey, Provorov, Makar, Jones and Hanny for top defense in league ... to me Jones is closest to Hedman ... but younger dmen take 5-8 years to develop and find out exactly where they stand as they learn pro hockey ... Dermy while I like him is smaller and not as strong on puck and doesn't skate like 5 guys above who will take over top defender ... I was only talking about guys who had full and complete packages to get to top ... hughes/rielly types are more PP guys

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Wait and watch in another 2/4 years it will be races every year between Sergey, Provorov, Makar, Jones and Hanny for top defense in league ... to me Jones is closest to Hedman ... but younger dmen take 5-8 years to develop and find out exactly where they stand as they learn pro hockey ... Dermy while I like him is smaller and not as strong on puck and doesn't skate like 5 guys above who will take over top defender ... I was only talking about guys who had full and complete packages to get to top ... hughes/rielly types are more PP guys

Rielly's better than all of those guys except for maybe Makar.

and Hanny has done nothing to be included amongst those names whatsoever.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Rielly's better than all of those guys except for maybe Makar.

and Hanny has done nothing to be included amongst those names whatsoever.
Today he might be ... although I would take both Jones and Sergey right now straight up ... I am talking about 3 years from today and Rielly won't be even close to any of them ... you have to study development of defenders and learn da nuisances of position ... Rielly is best skater ... but his shot is brutal, his puck strength in puck battles is brutal, his defensive zone positioning is brutal, his physical size to outmanoeuvre people is weak and he has issues in hockey IQ on when and where he should become 4th winger

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Today he might be ... although I would take both Jones and Sergey right now straight up ... I am talking about 3 years from today and Rielly won't be even close to any of them ... you have to study development of defenders and learn da nuisances of position ... Rielly is best skater ... but his shot is brutal, his puck strength in puck battles is brutal, his defensive zone positioning is brutal, his physical size to outmanoeuvre people is weak and he has issues in hockey IQ on when and where he should become 4th winger

Sergy has never been used in more than 2nd/3rd pair sheltered usage.

Jones at least gets top pair usage, but performs much worse in that usage than Reilly does.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

OK that made me laugh.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Sens are the biggest future challenge for the Leafs. They are going to be real good soon.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Sens are the biggest future challenge for the Leafs. They are going to be real good soon.

they could be, but unfortunately they have management that thinks their previous cap dollars are worth spending on guys like Murray, Gudbranson, and Zaitsev.

Reactions: Pi and Teeder Keon

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
they could be, but unfortunately they have management that thinks their previous cap dollars are worth spending on guys like Murray, Gudbranson, and Zaitsev.
Money will be their biggest issue going forward. How much will they have to spend to keep all the talent? The Chabot signing was very good. But they can only do so many.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Sergy has never been used in more than 2nd/3rd pair sheltered usage.

Jones at least gets top pair usage, but performs much worse in that usage than Reilly does.
again you are looking at this in a short sighted way ... i look at it at those guys are being developed and confidence develops at each threshold of growth ... but you have to take guys with raw skills and then work a development plan over 5-8 years ... Rielly will never be 6ft4+, Rielly will never be strong on da puck, Rielly will never have a good shot Rielly ... you have to start with basic skills and then develop develop develop

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Really happy with how the team is doing. But how Dubas is judged is entirely down to our playoff performance at this point.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
when I look at that roster I still feel like its missing the face of the franchise, I think they'll need some lottery luck still. Lots of depth of young talent though for sure. If they add a Shane Wright, then I completely agree.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I agree
I actually think that this Sens thing with the Leafs are just one of those anomalies that happen in sports , sure they work hard and have a couple of young guns their , but who knows how their drafts will work out and when ...and also their goaltending and D as a whole aren’t that good and basically they have a hard working club Big deal !
Work as hard as they do and talent and hard work always win over just hard work

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
when I look at that roster I still feel like its missing the face of the franchise, I think they'll need some lottery luck still. Lots of depth of young talent though for sure. If they add a Shane Wright, then I completely agree.
They are doing it right compared the the Habs at least.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Don't forget Colin White. That contract looks terrible.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
It's interesting how Leafs don't have any "Bad" deals and yet the media and opposing fans could not stop the "Cap hell" narrative.

Another interesting thing will be seeing all these young stars in the next year demanding huge increases who took 3 year deals instead of the 6 Marner got.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
again you are looking at this in a short sighted way ... i look at it at those guys are being developed and confidence develops at each threshold of growth ... but you have to take guys with raw skills and then work a development plan over 5-8 years ... Rielly will never be 6ft4+, Rielly will never be strong on da puck, Rielly will never have a good shot Rielly ... you have to start with basic skills and then develop develop develop

Rielly's 220lbs, and almost none of those guys will ever be able to skate or stickhandle or pass like he can.

And I doubt many of them ever score 20gls in a year like Mo did.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
They are doing it right compared the the Habs at least.
Absolutely. The Habs have that same problem, only they're locked into contracts that no one is going to take, that will keep them from being bad enough to fix it through the draft. HFHabs constantly overrates what it has. Like I have been told in the last few years that they were going to get impact players out of: McCarron, De La Rose, Lehkonen, Andrighetto, Scherbak, Juulsen, Mete, Poehling, Brook, Ylonen, Norlinder, etc. And that Romanov, Kotkaniemi & Suzuki are core player talents.

The Sens aren't missing with those high value picks, if they get some luck and keep drafting in volume they will definitely be a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad