Dubas appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
The powerplay chugging along at a near 40% efficiency has covered up alot of their flaws.

They've been relatively poor 5v5 and on the PK, and goaltending has only been so-so. That's playing against the bottom 4 in the division 10/12 games thus far.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Simmonds, Brodie and Bogosian were all solid additions. The rest were meh or TBD. I thought it was a B+ off-season at the time, might end up being an A- or even an A. Need to play against MTL, CGY & WPG more to really test this team.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Simmonds, Brodie and Bogosian were all solid additions. The rest were meh or TBD. I thought it was a B+ off-season at the time, might end up being an A- or even an A. Need to play against MTL, CGY & WPG more to really test this team.
Toronto already defeated Calgary in back to back games on the road.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The powerplay chugging along at a near 40% efficiency has covered up alot of their flaws.

They've been relatively poor 5v5 and on the PK, and goaltending has only been so-so. That's playing against the bottom 4 in the division 10/12 games thus far.

They've been fine at even strength. The only issue has been the pk.

That's mostly about finding the right combinations.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I could never quite understand how the supposed defensive genius Babcock couldn't get a highly skilled group of players to play responsibly while still being dynamic offensively - but Keefe has done it.

But ya, Dubas really did a fine job this off season. Brodie is so good I didn't even know.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I have been such a big fan of KD since the day he took over. The only arguments people have with him is he “bent over” to the young guns. Yet he has always filled out the roster with competent NHL Caliber talent. This year he seems to have found the right formula. In my mind, his haters do not deserve the right to celebrate the play of a Wayne simmonds, Justin holl, Spezz, jumbo, Robertson, Boyd, bogo, lehtonen, Campbell, muzz...and the list goes on. This guy has consistently dressed a competitive lineup, despite cap restraints. Supposedly his biggest wrong doing. Every year he has addressed the needs of the club, all the while drafting better than the last 20 years combined. I have more confidence in this management group than any before. Adaptable, Accountable, and progressive to new ways of thinking. What more do you want from a leader of an organization?? KD deserves a lot of credit here, because he surely gets his criticisms when things aren’t going as well

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
They've been fine at even strength. The only issue has been the pk.

That's mostly about finding the right combinations.

A lot of that has to do with Andersen. 3rd worst save percentage in the league on the PK.

Our xGA/60 is 10th in the league. Our CA/60 is 4th in the league, but we are dragged down by our HDCA/60 which is 21st. That could use some work.

Nothing that should make us be 3rd worst in PK save percentage though. At 80%, we would be 3 points lower than the worst team last season. If we even had what Andersen was giving us in 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 (85%, which was still bottom 10 in the league), we'd probably be above league average right now on the PK. If he was giving us 2017-2018 Andersen (88%, top 10 in the league), our PK is easily top 10 in the league, and our PK is much better than those days when he was in the top 10.

It has been a complete flop from when Lou was in charge. The 3 seasons where Dubas has been in charge, our PK is top 10/15 in most metrics but bottom 10 in save percentage. The seasons where Lou was in charge, we were bottom 10 but top 10 in save percentage. Effectively, Andersen started sucking as soon as Lou left and our defense started to improve. We've gone from Andersen stealing us games from weak defensive efforts to our defense carrying Andersen and him making them look bad.

The one thing that is common right now is that he is fighting a lot of pucks and giving up a lot of easy rebounds (in all situations), and that is not making it easy for our defense or our PK. That is something he has to fix up because our defense is making it a lot easier for him than he is making it out to be right now, and it is killing our possession/defensive effectiveness too since he is prolonging cycles when plays should die.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

So far 4-0 against those teams. They have all been close games but they have got the job done.

I think most agree that they havn't hit their stride yet. I do however think there will be games we they will play better and end up on the other side of the outcome.

I am looking forward to the two Montreal games next week

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
He learned that his all skill approach was flawed and made adjustments. Less secure people would never be able to admit mistakes and learn from them. Good for him, and good for the team.
Look no further than burkie. He would fall on that truculence model no matter the situation. Dubas has adapted year over year, is never afraid to move on from what is not working. I think the best example of that is Tyson barrie. It was a bad trade. But how many GM’s would have resigned barrie to justify the trade? KD cut his losses, and adjusted accordingly.

David McConnor

Unregistered User
Aug 30, 2006
Alert, Nunavut
I think any GM would look like a genius if the likes of Matthews, Marner and Rielly fell right onto their laps. Despite this unearned fortune, Dubas hasn't even been able to get this team past the first round of the playoffs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He learned that his all skill approach was flawed and made adjustments. Less secure people would never be able to admit mistakes and learn from them. Good for him, and good for the team.

All skill? New approach?

Adds by Year:

Yr1: Tavares, Muzzin, Ozhiganov, Gauthier, Lindholm, Ennis, Petan, Moore

Yr2: Mikheyev, Kerfoot, Barrie, Ceci, Holl, Spezza, Clifford, Engvall, Shore, Timashov, Sandin

Yr3: Brodie, Simmonds, Thornton, Vesey, Bogosian, Lehtonen, Boyd, Barabanov, Anderson

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think any GM would look like a genius if the likes of Matthews, Marner and Rielly fell right onto their laps. Despite this unearned fortune, Dubas hasn't even been able to get this team past the first round of the playoffs.

Lou had those 3 elite ELCs fall into his lap, and everyone called him a genius for it.

Kyle had the much much tougher job of signing those elite players to real contracts all while somehow improving the supporting cast around them from top to bottom with far less capspace.....and has got nothing but crap despite the near miraculous job he's done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->