Injury Report: DSP/Mitchell/Gallagher/Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I don't expect, nor do i hope we'll see Price on the ice before February at the earliest.

If he feels good in 6 weeks from now, wait another month

If Price (after approx. 6 weeks) comes back just to re-aggravate it after 2-3 games only...I'll be pissed.

I'm already pissed he may have come back to early.

Take all the time you need (6 weeks, 8 weeks,10 weeks, etc)...just don't come back too early. Heal it so that it's a 100% (not 75% or 90%).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As I recall you only get to go over the cap while they are on LTIR, once they are back you have to get back under. Currently the Habs have 1,223,374 in projected cap space.

Thanks for your reply. I was under the impression that you also get to bank in cap room from having a given player inactive. I understand there is also the opportunity to spend beyond a certain point while the player is on LTIR as you rightly point out, and then have to coil back once he is eligible to return.

However, I was wondering how Price's absence provides Bergevin with cap room he can use after Price returns.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I didn't vote but we also have Fucale in the minor. And Tokarski on the bench. I know they're not going to work but this this is some crazy depth. Fucale has a lot of intangible quality.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
They have the best doctors money can buy.

If Price come back too early again it's his fault, one way or another he's going to need surgery.

He's still one of the best goaltender even while injured so I trust his judgment to make the right decision.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
If Price (after approx. 6 weeks) comes back just to re-aggravate it after 2-3 games only...I'll be pissed.

I'm already pissed he may have come back to early.

Take all the time you need (6 weeks, 8 weeks,10 weeks, etc)...just don't come back too early. Heal it so that it's a 100% (not 75% or 90%).

I agree, but no matter when he comes back there will a contingent of us believing he should wait even longer. The thinking is the more time the better. But at some point, more rest starts hurting more than helping. There is no such thing as 110%. Once you get to 100% the gas tank is full and continued inactivity starts weakening the body.

We have no choice but to trust that whenever Price returns, it'll be because every iota of evidence says he's at 100% and needs to start working. No frikkin way do they rush him when everything is at stake!

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
There is no worry. Even the worst goalie in the NHL was once good enough to reach it. I'd say that even the worst goalie in the NHL is able to play .500 with a good team and a good D in front of him.

After all, the worst NHL goalie is still one of the 60 best goalie in the world, or not that far from it.

Even Tokarski would maybe do an ok job for 6 weeks. Heck, Laughton did reach the stanley cup final!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I agree, but no matter when he comes back there will a contingent of us believing he should wait even longer. The thinking is the more time the better. But at some point, more rest starts hurting more than helping. There is no such thing as 110%. Once you get to 100% the gas tank is full and continued inactivity starts weakening the body.

We have no choice but to trust that whenever Price returns, it'll be because every iota of evidence says he's at 100% and needs to start working. No frikkin way do they rush him when everything is at stake!

It's not so much about the rest. Once you're healed, well then doing nothing isn't going to change a thing. What matters is how you rehabilitate. How you push in your training, how your injury reacts to your movements, etc.
You will also never be tested as much as in a game situation.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
It's not so much about the rest. Once you're healed, well then doing nothing isn't going to change a thing. What matters is how you rehabilitate. How you push in your training, how your injury reacts to your movements, etc.
You will also never be tested as much as in a game situation.

Yes. And the guy you quoted also.

It's the posters that are harping on "not rushing" Price that are
missing the point.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
It's probably been posted here somewhere already but Marinaro on TSN690 earlier today said he had a very good source that said Price as a meniscus tear.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
It's probably been posted here somewhere already but Marinaro on TSN690 earlier today said he had a very good source that said Price as a meniscus tear.

I wonder who his source is..... a Dr. calling in to his show? :)

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal

That's what I thought also because the way he has dealt with his injury the first time around looked a lot like what I had (torn meniscus in the knee). You can play without damaging it for good, it depends only on the pain level. True that with time, it could get better, but it is not a given. Price could very well opt for surgery in 2-3 weeks. I guess he will get surgery in the summer anyway.

It is not that big of a surgery. 2-3 months and you're ready to play. Less when you're a pro athlete able to do rehab on a daily basis.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I wonder who his source is..... a Dr. calling in to his show? :)

Hard to say but Marinaro does seem to have some good contacts and he sounded convincing that he knew. TSN690 is going with saying it's what Price's injury is during their 30 minute updates.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
Hard to say but Marinaro does seem to have some good contacts and he sounded convincing that he knew. TSN690 is going with saying it's what Price's injury is during their 30 minute updates.

Yeah, I actually just heard the update and they're rolling with it which makes me think that it's somewhat credible.

Nynja*

It is not that big of a surgery. 2-3 months and you're ready to play. Less when you're a pro athlete able to do rehab on a daily basis.

If this is the surgery, then why not just do it? 2-3 months = 4-12 weeks. Price is slated to be out for 6 weeks.

void

Jan 5, 2006
I would get the surgery if I were him. Why risk making it worse and/or having greater complications later in life?

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
I would get the surgery if I were him. Why risk making it worse and/or having greater complications later in life?

That's perhaps because you do not have the benefit of having a renowned doctor to advise you on what needs to happen to you. If the Habs medical staff were convinced that he needed surgery, Price would get it.

Some of these posts are incredibly silly. If we fans want desperately want what's best for Price, you really think that the team (including renowned doctors) wouldn't want the same for the MVP of the league? Especially after the team being is such a comfortable position?

RandR

May 15, 2011
Lundqvist missed 8 weeks last year and Talbot pulled through. Our turn this year.

Yup. And Rinne missed a big part of the season, as did Bishop the year before. It happens.
And I think these recent instances reflect the different scenarios for what can happen when a team's star goalie is out for an extended period of time:

2014 - Rinne misses more than half of regular season; Predators, a team that lacked scoring, misses playoffs by 3 points.
2014 - Bishop misses end of regular season and playoffs; Tampa make playoffs but are tossed out 4 straight in 1st round.
2015 - Lundqvist misses 8 weeks; Rangers still finish 1st overall and get to conference final.

Lesson: a good team that doesn't need to rely too much on goaltending can survive loss of their star goalie during regular season. I put the Habs in that category this year, so I think they will be okay provided Price is back to his normal self in time for the playoffs.

void

Jan 5, 2006
That's perhaps because you do not have the benefit of having a renowned doctor to advise you on what needs to happen to you. If the Habs medical staff were convinced that he needed surgery, Price would get it.

Some of these posts are incredibly silly. If we fans want desperately want what's best for Price, you really think that the team (including renowned doctors) wouldn't want the same for the MVP of the league? Especially after the team being is such a comfortable position?

Yes, the same medical staff that allowed him to return way too early the first time around.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

We have to assume no surgery means the injury is manageable by rest and therapy alone. They wouldn't take this course if it didn't offer the best chance at maximum recovery for the playoffs.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Amen.

Also, if it really is a meniscus tear - something I've had personal experience with - you only opt for the meniscus repair surgery if you have absolutely no other option.

The meniscus can heal on it's own like a cut on your skin. It's not like a knee ligament injury that requires surgery to heal, meniscus tears actually heal on their own and a doctor wouldn't advise surgery unless the meniscus was shredded to the point that the healing could be compromised or part of the damaged meniscus had shifted, moving into the space between your joint, causing further damage and no longer in place where it can naturally heel. The Meniscus repair surgery doesn't actually "repair" the injury rather then it goes in and cleans up the tears and re-positions the disc (in the case of shredding) so that it has a better chance to heal. This is done by actually cutting away or trimming the meniscus cartilage. This does *not* grow back, so the knee is permanently compromised in this regard. No doctor would do this unless they absolutely had no other choice, and, from my experience, it's pretty easy to tell if this is required or not at first glance of an MRI.

This place is already full of hockey experts that second guess the Canadiens staff. Now we have medical experts that also second guess the staff? How long til we have travel experts that take issue with the Canadiens air travel accommodations?

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
If this is the surgery, then why not just do it? 2-3 months = 4-12 weeks. Price is slated to be out for 6 weeks.

Because the pain could also fade away with time. I lived 5 years with a torn meniscus and continue doing sports. Then it jammed and I had to do surgery. Or I could have opt to go for surgery right from the start, but that would have meant losing my softball season. Probably like for Price, my doctor told me that it was up to me because beside the pain that could very well vanish, the injury can't degenerate into something dramatic. The worse thing that could happen is your knee jamming, which is what happened to me. It is not that hard or complicate to unjammed, but the pain is more intense.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, I actually just heard the update and they're rolling with it which makes me think that it's somewhat credible.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a credible source, but if it is in fact Price's knee that is injured, there really is no other possibility that it could be other than a meniscus tear that would follow the time line and the lack of surgery that the team has offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad