Injury Report: DSP/Mitchell/Gallagher/Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Andrighetto deserves a spot when the whole team is healthy. Thomas hasn't shown enough and he isn't what we need on the 4th line. I'm hoping that Kassian recovers from his issues and that he can fill a role on the 3rd or 4th line even if its unlikely.

It seems that Gallagher is very important to success of the Pacioretty and Plekanec line and is very deserving of his A.

Why would it be unlikely? If he plays he's game, hard along the boards and keep puck possession, which fits well with this teams philosophy, there should be no reason for him to play a role on this team.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Why would it be unlikely? If he plays he's game, hard along the boards and keep puck possession, which fits well with this teams philosophy, there should be no reason for him to play a role on this team.

Kassian has some major hoops to jump through before his hockey skills enter the equation. He has to be vetted by doctors and Bergevin before being in the same building as the team.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Moot point since he'll be nowhere near returning.

Man, I really hope our fan base is able to suck it up for another five weeks...

If the downward trend continues I don't think anyone will remember the fact we don't have our MVO or top line winger. Not just Habs fans but fans in general tend to forget those facts when the team is losing Scapegoats are named and the blame game starts. There is no point this might be a very frustrating month for the Habs. I'm just hoping we finish the month playing .500 hockey or above because considering the injures and schedule that would be impressive.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I'm a bit lost when it comes to the time frame of the injuries to both Price and Gallagher. Say I want to count down how much time is left before they rejoin the team, provided they come back without healing faster or taking longer to recover, when are they due?

In other words, "are we there yet?"

MB said Gallagher is out a "minimum" of 6 weeks, meaning he could be out longer and don't expect him back earlier. He had his surgery Monday, November 23rd. 6 weeks then is Monday, January 4th, so just after the outdoor game.

Even though it's close to the outdoor game, Gally himself said he doesn't think he'll be back in time for it. My feeling is that around Jan. 4th is probably the date that he starts practicing with the team again. Usually a player gets 3-5 practices before playing with the team after a long term injury.

I expect the earliest we see him is Sat., January 9th against the Pens at home, or Thursday, January 14th against the Hawks at home. Habs have a weird 5 day break between those 2 games.

As for Price, he is also out 6 weeks. He was injured 2 days after Gallagher's surgery, so he's scheduled to return around the same time. I'm going to guess the Hawks game on the 14th is the earliest he would return. The 5 day break in the schedule will give him lots of practice time.

So no, we're not there yet. Not even close. Both are still a month away - at the earliest.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I would like to see Tinordi be our new 4th liner :dunno:

Funny. It reminds me a thought I had while seeing David Fisher play in training camp. He was such a smooth skater that I thought it was worth giving him a shot as a winger.

Sometimes, I wonder why they don't try it more often, converting a failed but smooth d-man into a winger. Who knows what would come out of it? Bennett in the AHL could be a candidate for such a test in the next 2 years.

...but I'm not saying that's what Habs should try with Tinordi, because he is pretty close to the NHL as d-man. But for a few games, why not? At least he would have some more NHL games under his belt.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
From my own experience as a D-man, we generally don't know what we are doing when we play up front. The positioning that forwards know by 20 years of instinct is something D-men don't have, likewise if you put a forward on D. Bad enough in beer league, I can't see it working in the NHL where the stakes are so high. Sometimes I guess it can be worth tolerating the problems it if the player is a special beast like Byfuglien or Burns who are both fantastic physical specimens and all-star hockey talent. Tinordi & Fisher are nowhere close to that level.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
From my own experience as a D-man, we generally don't know what we are doing when we play up front. The positioning that forwards know by 20 years of instinct is something D-men don't have, likewise if you put a forward on D. Bad enough in beer league, I can't see it working in the NHL where the stakes are so high. Sometimes I guess it can be worth tolerating the problems it if the player is a special beast like Byfuglien or Burns who are both fantastic physical specimens and all-star hockey talent. Tinordi & Fisher are nowhere close to that level.

I do agree they have no experience playing the position and it wouldn't be easy at first...but everyone knows learning forward is the easiest position to learn of the three(forward,defense,goalie)

We hear defenseman complain often if their asked to play forward. But surprising most of those D-man/forwads become regular defenseman 2 or 3 years down the road. So for me it shows that it can work for the player.

Also attitude is big. This is the friggin NHL and the player should want to do everything possible to succeed in the NHL and help their team.
We don't need to look to far and see we have a player named Crisp who did what ever he needed to do to help his team...even playing goalie. To me that shows putting away any and all pride to be a great teammate and winner.

Guys like Tinordi that are caught in nowhere land should be pushing to play anywhere they can. If I was him I would suggest to the GM and coach I would be more than willing to learn a forward position if this helps the team. I would also let it be known that in the future I would still like to play as defenseman.

Who knows maybe a guy like Tinordi would be better as a forward and never see the blueline again. Wendel Clark was drafted as a D-man but went onto great fame as a power forward.

Ultimately playing in the NHL is the most important thing that matters. Be it 1st line center or 4th line winger or 6th d-man that is the goal...is it not?

Nynja*

Mitchell back should atleast solidify the fourth line. They were pretty crucial in our initial 9-0-0 run since they could reliably go out for 10-11 minutes and not hurt us, which kept our top players fresher.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Mitchell back should atleast solidify the fourth line. They were pretty crucial in our initial 9-0-0 run since they could reliably go out for 10-11 minutes and not hurt us, which kept our top players fresher.

Mitchell played tough minutes, which freed up easier minutes for the other 3 centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->