Confirmed with Link: DRW Trades for Marc Staal

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
I am starting to feel like there will be more focus by Steve in getting a number 1 goalie. I have a sneaky feeling if we get more defensive help it will be someone like Brodie with a shorter term and less money.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi folks, just stopped by to congratulate you on the trade. From what I’ve read and heard today it echoes what many of you have already Posted:

Weaponizing Cap Space.

I also agree with the idea that Staal can be a mentor and if there’s a Season to eat 1 Yr Cap hits it’s the upcoming one, likely to be abridged.

So again, happy to see some more positive news for you folks during this scorched earth rebuild.
6A9AF91D-F4E6-4B9E-93BE-97B15C48A4A1.jpeg

Cheers

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
A nice trade, I think. A veteran defender together with whoever replaces Howard will make the team better, but should we need to, Staal could be moveable at the deadline because he has an expiring contract and lots of playoff experience. What's more, Detroit already got a second-round pick for taking him. So, if we trade him down the line, that might make up for any "future considerations."

Like Stevie said in regards to this, Daley and Ericsson are gone and so now we have spots to fill. Mike Green is another one. So, we have cap space, we have spots to fill, and we might as well act strategically in accordance with those situations to get some picks if the situation is right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Maybe the best thing: Yzerman isn't going to do something crazy like sign Krug.

Maybe.

But it's still totally possible that:

- trades for Staal to get a 2nd. = gains an asset.
- trades Nemeth to get a pick and Staal replaces him. = gains an asset.
- signs Krug. = gains an asset.

Just adds positive value on the team on every move.

DeKeyser - Hronek
Krug - X
Staal - Seider

Or maybe he doesn't go after Krug, and signs Tyson Barrie to add RhD, and does not trade Nemeth.

DeKeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Barrie
Staal - Seider

1.PP Tyson Barrie
2.PP Hronek + Seider

1.PK DeKeyser-Nemeth
2.PK Staal-Seider/Hronek

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
im thinking yzerman LOVES staal and this trade means seiders up in the bigs , staal brought in to mentor no matter that his bodys too abused to be a top dman anymore . not to mention choski can learn from him too

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Kudos to the Ilitch family, they are not letting Covid-19 impact what they agreed to with Yzerman. I have been wondering on that front just how much flexibility Yzerman would have with Chris Ilitch instead of Mike. Looks like we are still the big spending can go to the cap Wings by the statements made during this move. Now I don't expect us to be pushed up against it, but it means he is willing to essentially buy futures and still spend a lot on this rebuild. I am sure that was promised to Steve in the Summer/Fall of 2018 when they discussed his return, but I am happy they are following through.

I like this move overall, we bought a pick for one year of minimal upgrade and more stability in the room. We can see if that same move makes sense next summer as well. I kind of hope he can use some of this draft capital to move up in a draft in one of the next two seasons.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I kind of hope he can use some of this draft capital to move up in a draft in one of the next two seasons.

I know the general thought process is you need to let the scouts do their job, but doesn’t it feel like if we keep getting burned by the lottery system, we will be forced to trade up into that middle first range some how? Like just getting lucky the way Colorado did with a promising player slipping like Newhook.

It’s a big ask to find multiple high end pieces in the second round, even with this many cracks at it. The tough thing to see is how you get up into that honey pot using only second round picks. Almost like we would need to use a prospect or roster player to get high enough to get the value I’m looking for.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I know the general thought process is you need to let the scouts do their job, but doesn’t it feel like if we keep getting burned by the lottery system, we will be forced to trade up into that middle first range some how? Like just getting lucky the way Colorado did with a promising player slipping like Newhook.

It’s a big ask to find multiple high end pieces in the second round, even with this many cracks at it. The tough thing to see is how you get up into that honey pot using only second round picks. Almost like we would need to use a prospect or roster player to get high enough to get the value I’m looking for.

I don't think we need to pckg multiple 2nds to land another mid1st draft pick to be honest.

We're gonna be drafting bottom 4 in each of 2020, 21 and 22 with a bottom 8 pick in 23 highly likely.

Those 4 picks in addition to seider and zadina will be our "obvious" talent.

Keep adding 2nds and I am certain SY will draft and develop at least 1 other high end player to add to that group.

That plus a free agent or two added to Larkin, Mantha, Bert, Fabbri, Ras, Hronek and Valeno and we should be right back in to contention.

My two cents anyhow

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Well sadly with yzerman’s comments doesnt look like we’ll eat half of staal’s salary and flip him , i think with owners looking to hit the floor and save actual $ that contract would of been a good one to deal for a pick

Right now are d looks something like

Dekeyser hronek
nemeth seider
Staal lindstrom
Cholowski

Kind of bugs me to see cholowski on the outs again, maybe he plays more games than expected though due to injuries and such , id like to see him given more opportunities as i havent given up on him

On the plus side maybe we’ll fetch a 3rd if we’re lucky or a 4th round pick for bowey on the trade market for this draft. As much as i wanted to see lindstrom up wouldnt be shocked to see him down one more year and add a gudas type dman to a one year deal so we can flip at the deadline or just eat up half of nemeth now and try and land a 2nd back and sign a dman in free agency

Add more picks

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

We will see, the problem with trying to package our picks is we need a partner where that makes sense for them. Most teams don't want the quality for quantity deal, but that is really down to draft boards on a straight pick swap deal.

On players, if we aren't out of this or seeing positive signs in a year or two, our big ticket rebuild items are going to be dealing some of the Mantha, Bertuzzi, Larkin and Hronek type guys. I don't think we are there yet, but if we aren't looking to come up after the 2022 draft that reality sets in and those guys are worth big packages from other teams more than likely. As is I think we finally are getting to where we can at least get assets for some of our guys again sans Nielsen and Abdelkader. Somebody should pay us for Helm and Glendening. I would argue what Coleman and Goodrow are doing is really good for a Glendening swap, might get us another second. We don't have first round movement though for the most part, just the reality of the pieces we are selling to date.

It's a tricky spot, we know we want to pick higher, but right now we cannot return those assets. I think that is why Stevie and Holland before him is moving in the deliberate fashion they have been.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Centers - We have a good center. Nothing elite.
Wingers - So far only good, maybe Mantha is a top winger... maaaaybe. Zadina has a lot to prove.
Defense - Zero 200 foot top pairing guys presently. Maybe some are in the pipeline. Again, maybe.
Goaltending - Larsson had some promise early on. There's some wildcards in there. Mostly a massive question mark.

So... we have some solid guys with zero surefire elite talents at all positions. A team that tops out with a bunch of solid guys doesn't even sniff the playoffs, let alone win a few rounds.

Yeah, this might take some time. I'm totally settled in for the long haul here. So when I see moves like Staal for picks, hell yeah, bring it on. Next year is development. Let the vet play some games with our kids, take our picks, and ride off into the draft sunset next year.

Also collecting a ton of picks and such gives Yzerman ammunition when a talent player shakes their way free from their current franchise. Not just the picks, but if some actually look promising, you can find great swaps. St. Louis was able to move late 1st round picks for O'Reilly, in addition to a 1st and 2nd rounder, for example. This isn't something to think about now, but when the Wings are turning the corner 5 years down the road and a talent player is on the market, this 2021 2nd rounder we developed could be the grease that gets a deal done.

Anyway, yeah, I'm in 5 year mode.

Someone suddenly got a lot less upbeat about Mantha.

I think five years is a forced death march for getting anything useful out of Mantha/Bert/Larkin, and that you're overstating what's needed to be a playoff team now. We see a team like Tampa stockpile talent and play a game that lets it look sexy, but they still haven't won a Cup and can't put away a pretty run of the mill dallas team. We saw St. Louis win a cup last year with a good center, no elite winger, and a rookie goalie. Boston has one line and McAvoy? And I don't see McAvoy as exactly a Norris contender. People were greasing NYI's skis earlier, how many elite players do they have? Barzal? And a lot of good players everywhere else.

On top of that, what is the reward for being the worst team in the league? 50% chance of drafting fourth. We're awful again next year, we're likely drafting third or fourth.We're awful the year after that, likely the same result.

Someone wants to make the argument to not stockpile talent ahead of the expansion draft, I can get that. Why go out and get someone just to force some other quality depth off the roster in nine months. But to latch onto five years until we start fighting for the playoffs, it's a waste of time and if you're going to chalk up everyone we currently have as barely good, we need to gut them now because in five years they won't be better. If that's the timeline.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
its been tough for me to see the light thru heavily tinted red wings homer glasses but now that im admiting the rebuild shall take longer i could see yzerman trading mantha because hes 26 . say a young d or c prospect and a 1st round pick 2021 , or just a young nhl dman on his own .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad