Confirmed with Link: DRW Trades for Marc Staal

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The Guy is washed. We needed to add somebody to play the left side but man, I don’t see Staal improving the defense. It’s the main reason I didn’t love the value here as much as some of you. Free pick is a free pick but I don’t see Staal actually being useful, he is a cap dump through and through

Last edited:

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Sorted defenseman for guys who played at least 600 minutes at even strength.

Staal was 176 out of 177 in terms of CF%.... woof

He might pleasantly surprise us with good performances for 10-15 games. But on average I'm thinking we'll just remember the acquisition for what it is. A cap dump. If we remember it at all, haha.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Sorted defenseman for guys who played at least 600 minutes at even strength.

Staal was 176 out of 177 in terms of CF%.... woof

He was on a pairing with DeAngelo who isn't a defensive stalwart himself, and that Rangers team wasn't very responsible defensively. I take those numbers with a grain of salt. How much was because of the team he was on, and how much was because of how bad Staal was?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He was on a pairing with DeAngelo who isn't a defensive stalwart himself, and that Rangers team wasn't very responsible defensively. I take those numbers with a grain of salt. How much was because of the team he was on, and how much was because of how bad Staal was?

He is near the very bottom in each of the last 3 years though, not just this last one.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
From 2017-2020 there are 235 defenseman that have played 1000 minutes or more at even strength.

Staal ranks 234 out of 235 in CF% over that stretch.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
yeah coming into a juggernaut defensive team like the wings will skyrocket his play :sarcasm:

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
i like what yzerman is doing here.
get a vet dman to help the kids while eating minutes and putting pressure on hicketts, cholowski to make improvements.
gets an asset with staal along with the potential to flip him at the deadline for another late pick.

if he can do this again, id do it for sure. find another 1y guy with a bad deal, take on an asset and flip him at the deadline. Four second rounders in 2021 would be incredible to add to our three we have this year.

personally, id be shocked if Staal stayed here all year. if he's healthy, someone will call for him at the deadline to be their Bogosian.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The Guy is washed. We needed to add somebody to play the left side but man, I don’t see Staal improving the defense. It’s the main reason I didn’t love the value here as much as some of you. Free pick is a few pick but I don’t see Staal actually being useful, he is a cap dump through and through

No question it is a cap dump. I just don't see it as a bad return for a one-year cap dump.

Reactions: Winger98

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
The Guy is washed. We needed to add somebody to play the left side but man, I don’t see Staal improving the defense. It’s the main reason I didn’t love the value here as much as some of you. Free pick is a free pick but I don’t see Staal actually being useful, he is a cap dump through and through
He is not supposed to improve , just replace Ericson for only 1 more year.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Worst case scenario, he's a warm body that can fill in when Nemeth gets traded at TDL. Keep in mind that this team has been playing AHL defensemen the last 2 seasons....

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Worst case scenario, he's a warm body that can fill in when Nemeth gets traded at TDL. Keep in mind that this team has been playing AHL defensemen the last 2 seasons....

Yeah, Staal is the 4th best defencemen defensively in our team:

1. DeKeyser
2. Nemeth
3. Hronek
4. Staal
--------------- huge gap
5. Biega
6. Lashoff
7. Lindström
8. McIlrath
9. Bowey
10. Hicketts
11. Cholowski

Would be nice to add Krug and Seider in front of that "huge gap" to have a legit defence.

Also have a legit goalie. Watch legit hockey again.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Not saying this will happen at all... But let's say Staal says he is not going to report/play for the Wings... Can we put him him on some list and not have has Contract charged on the Cap? Just wondering.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
my initial thought was if staal says he doesnt want to play here (which yzerman secretly predicted all along :naughty:) that we retain part of contract and trade him for a 7th , basically getting a 2nd for a few mil cap hit this season

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Why are you guys debating how bad this guy is or isn't? Who cares? It's meaningless money for a free draft pick. There's literally no down side even if he's worse than Abdelkader.

Reactions: RedMenace

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I'm not so sure Nemeth gets moved just for the hell of it. If his price is reasonable, I can see Yzerman keeping him around to anchor the mid/bottom pairings for the next few years. That's more valuable than 4th rounder or whatever you'd be expecting for a defensive defender.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm not so sure Nemeth gets moved just for the hell of it. If his price is reasonable, I can see Yzerman keeping him around to anchor the mid/bottom pairings for the next few years. That's more valuable than 4th rounder or whatever you'd be expecting for a defensive defender.

Also a player you likely don't care having exposed to Seattle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad