Confirmed with Link: DRW Trades for Marc Staal

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Makes perfect sense. And the Ilitch family is on board because this is a great time to be selling pizzas from behind big plastic dividers. It's like they knew, somehow.
The plastic dividers always remind me of when I worked in Pontiac.... bulletproof glass and they hand you the pizza through a slot.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yeah, the hyperbole around Staal will be tremendous as he used to be a fan favorite in New York before father time won again.

But the reality is he's still a bottom pairing NHL defender. Overpaid and in the twilight of his career, but not a total worthless piece to the Red Wings as their current blueline sits.

Yzerman checked off the boxes I want with his cap dump acquisitions: a player that's not a buyout, isn't locked up forever, and get good value back.

Add MAF as our new goalie and this cap dump shopping season will be complete. Maybe Loui Eriksson.

The thing that works great with Staal’s deal is the term, and maintained flexibility in cap. When it comes down to it at the end of the year, an expiring Marc Staal who is owed $3.2 million real dollars at 50% retention pro-rated will probably cost a team maybe $700k real dollars to add as a veteran depth defenseman entering the playoff push.

If Yzerman plays his cards right, he could potentially retain on Staal at the deadline, and as part of the deal, take on another borderline washed up cap dump with another year and really enhance the value of this deal by returning maybe even a 1st if the stars align.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Probably was better to get in third round this draft, not sure about late second next year

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I'd have though the Wings could've gotten a 1st or a 2nd+3rd for taking on Staal, but a 2nd is still okay. The Rangers should be in that 40-55 pick range next year so it'll still be decently high and as we saw with the Sharks this year sometimes picks can end up much higher than expected.

Hopefully this is the first of many cap dump trades for the Wings this offseason. If they can stock up on 2021 & 2022 picks now the rebuild will be looking up. I think now is a great time to be creative and see if any teams are willing to do unprotected 2022 or 2023 firsts given the top end of those drafts look to be incredible right now.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Would like to know more about the NMC and how or why it didnt apply
He waived it, probably because he'd rather play on a cellar team than be bought out. It increases the chances of getting signed after this contract expires, even if it's a one year deal like Gagner. Hockey players want to play, not sit around. Look at Howard.... obvious his career is over but he's still talking about playing.

Also, Nemeth is more likely to get traded at TDL than Staal, because he's a legit 3rd pair guy on any team. I don't see a contender wanting Staal unless it's as a short term injury fill in.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
- im thinking a big part of this is getting a talented vet dman to mentor seider because weve nobody else to mentor him
- im also wondering what if staal tells yzerman he doesnt want to join team and wings trade him at 50% retained for late draft pick adding up to us buying a 2nd rounder for 3 mil in cap space
- also wondering if this is an indication that there might be a change in cap rules for next season because of the virus that adds up to cap space not going to be as valuable as previously thought

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Our second pairing at the end of last season had Alex Biega on it. I would put money on it that Staal is still better then Alex Biega, plus we gain a 2nd.
It's sad that another team's salary dump actually improves this team....

Staal > Biega, Bowey, Cholo, Ericsson, Daley, Hicketts, Lashoff, McIlrath, Goloubef

I think Cholo starts out in GR, he actually has to compete for a spot now instead of being gifted NHL ice time just because the team didn't have anyone else. If he's not better than Staal, he doesn't deserve to be on the ice anyways.

Reactions: Henkka

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2