Confirmed with Link: DRW Trades for Marc Staal

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
And clearing 1 year under $6 million in cap of a still lowly functional NHL defenseman is being vastly overrated by you.

Obviously a 2nd is better than nothing but I’d just rather not take on bad players if the assets coming back are mid 2nds

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
What does it mean future consideration

upload_2020-9-26_19-46-29.png

Or at least, that's how I've always understood it.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
With this trade the Red Wings have seven! 2nd rounders the next two drafts. Eight if they finish last again, thanks to Arizona.

1 year cap dump, $3.2M in actual salary owed with tons of cap space. Marc Staal is terrible at this point in his career but we give up essentially nothing to get a 2nd in a deep draft. 2021 is looking to be actually deep, unlike 2020 which has just been overhyped IMO.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Carolina got a 1st for the Marleau contract.

moreover 2nd round picks are overrated assets.

Toronto were "contenders" who were desperate and teams knew it, I dont think the Rangers are as close to the Caps as the Leafs were last year.

Reactions: archimet

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
It sure feels that way. Got two from AA alone.

Unfortunately it's a 2021 pick. It will still probably end up in the first half, though. We'll see.

Damn this year is such a write off I already jumped ahead 1 year lol.

Thanks for the reminder.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
I like it. This was the very best camp dump acquisition option IMO. Pretty much all the forwards rumored to be available had either too much term still attached, or are right on the replacement level line anyways. Detroit is pretty jammed up for forwards who can't play and Staal, while likely not very good anymore, can still fit into the lineup and likely be moved for another asset. He also has less dollars owed than his cap it, which makes it a much more desirable option for ownership.

Reactions: grewalwings

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Our second pairing at the end of last season had Alex Biega on it. I would put money on it that Staal is still better then Alex Biega, plus we gain a 2nd.

Yeah, the hyperbole around Staal will be tremendous as he used to be a fan favorite in New York before father time won again.

But the reality is he's still a bottom pairing NHL defender. Overpaid and in the twilight of his career, but not a total worthless piece to the Red Wings as their current blueline sits.

Yzerman checked off the boxes I want with his cap dump acquisitions: a player that's not a buyout, isn't locked up forever, and get good value back.

Add MAF as our new goalie and this cap dump shopping season will be complete. Maybe Loui Eriksson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad