Confirmed with Link: Drury President and GM

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Hahah I'm 34 years old dude I lived through all of that, I know, trust me.
You're still a youngster. Wait till you get to my age.

Yeah, while you might be aware of these many events. It is not well known, about that last highlight I posted. He will cut you off, if you say a bad word. Anyone from the press, will tow his line or lose access. So don't expect to hear anything other than the bull you have been fed the last two days.

Reactions: RickChartraw

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
Some fans are now viewing Sather's first several years here with the same rose-tinted glasses with which Star Wars fans now view the Prequel Trilogy. "They're not as bad as we remember!" Yes they are...and yes he was! LOL!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
4isbsv.png

EDIT: Also applies to Gorton and JD being fired.

Last edited:

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I meant as players.....trading a ton of skill for those muckers and winning the cup! History goes in cycles.
I remember that trade deadline like yesterday. We were in first place and we got rid of Hall of Famers Mike Gartner and Tony Amonte for Anderson, MacTavish, Matteau, and Noonan. Did I mention we were number one in the standings at the time? A lot has been said that these trades gave us the Cup. But we will never know how far we would have went with Gartner and Amonte, will we? Sure they weren't rough and tumble playoff types, but Damn were they skilled. Did I mention we were in first place?

I not complaining. It was quite a ride winning the Cup that year. Messier's guarantee, Matteau, Matteau, Matteau!!,... is something I'll never forget.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
I remember that trade deadline like yesterday. We were in first place and we got rid of Hall of Famers Mike Gartner and Tony Amonte for Anderson, MacTavish, Matteau, and Noonan. Did I mention we were number one in the standings at the time? A lot has been said that these trades gave us the Cup. But we will never know how far we would have went with Gartner and Amonte, will we? Sure they weren't rough and tumble playoff types, but Damn were they skilled. Did I mention we were in first place?

I not complaining. It was quite a ride winning the Cup that year. Messier's guarantee, Matteau, Matteau, Matteau!!,... is something I'll never forget.
I was not around back then so I am not as emotionally attached to that cup (although I love this part of Rangers history).

So forgive me a little blasphemy: that trade deadline was a horrible, brain-dead gamble that just happened to work by the off-chance that year, but deprived us from even more Cups in the following years. Especially as there was no salary cap back then, so you did not have to worry about how you are going to fit that amount of talent under the cap in just a few years.

Reactions: Riche16 and ohbaby

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Possible candidates to join Drury's front office.

Daniel Briere. He has been running the Maine Mariners. The Rangers have an association with them. Briere was Drury's former teammate in Buffalo.

Steve Greeley. He worked for the Rangers in 2015-16 and 2016-17. Assistant director of player personnel. Greeley left the Rangers to become the Sabres AGM for three years. He was fired last May. Greeley is another BU guy. He scouted for the LA Kings.

Mike Futa. He has no association with Drury. Futa worked for the Kings in various roles under Dean Lombardi when they became a championship team. Futa has a good reputation. Rob Blake promoted him to AGM. The Kings didn't renew his contract last spring. Futa did some work for Sportsnet. His name was mentioned for a possible position with the Canucks earlier this season.

The Kings had all of those young players and they turned them into Richards and Carter. The Kings won two Cups in three years. The Rangers are looking to make similar moves. The Rangers were making these moves eventually even if Gorton was still the GM.

Anyone else?
Briere is employed by Spectra, not the Rangers..... Spectra owns the franchise in Portland, fyi.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Spectra may own them, but it's still the Rangers ECHL affiliate.
and Briere is an employee of Spectra, not the Rangers.... otherwise Hartford off ice doesn't exist nor does their contract with XL Center..... which is the arena operator

MSG lost a bid years ago to add the arena in Hartford to their real estate division.... they no longer operate Pratt & Whitney Stadium which they built in CT

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
and Briere is an employee of Spectra, not the Rangers.... otherwise Hartford off ice doesn't exist nor does their contract with XL Center..... which is the arena operator

MSG lost a bid years ago to add the arena in Hartford to their real estate division.... they no longer operate Pratt & Whitney Stadium which they built in CT

I don't see how any of that matters. Briere is the GM of the Rangers ECHL team, who cares who his employer is?

His employer doesn't affect his candidacy for an AGM position with the Rangers.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I don't see how any of that matters. Briere is the GM of the Rangers ECHL team, who cares who his employer is?

His employer doesn't affect his candidacy for an AGM position with the Rangers.
DO YOU KNOW what position Briere's got.... the same position in Portland, that Drury now got this week... Isn't Drury the President and GM of the Rangers, so how does demoting Briere to an AGM fly..... isn't it the opposite..... Briere becomes the owner of a franchise

EpicDing

Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
DO YOU KNOW what position Briere's got.... the same position in Portland, that Drury now got this week... Isn't Drury the President and GM of the Rangers, so how does demoting Briere to an AGM fly..... isn't it the opposite..... Briere becomes the owner of a franchise

An AGM of the Rangers/GM of Hartford wouldn't be a demotion from GM of an ECHL team, lol

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Without reading through 13 pages - This is a mistake.

Not because I don't think Drury can't do the job of President or GM. I don't think he can do the job of President and GM.

They're both full time positions and require full time attention to be done well.

Unless of course he is bringing people in to help.

Reactions: haveandare

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Totally irrelevant
nope

since when does MSG own Maine, and if they did, where were they prior to 2018.....

YOU have your ownerships mixed up.

the Rangers have never owned nor operated a franchise they own in this state. EVER.

The Flyers created the arena after the Spectrum, 40 years ago, Epic.

Hartford was originally Providence that was blocked when the Flyers won the territory in 1977, It's why the Pack went and became the Dusters, before the Rangers were ever involved with it and relocated it from Binghamton to Hartford.

the reason Philadelphia owns the franchise here and isn't involved further is the existing contracts with Lehigh Valley, a franchise they created after selling the franchise here to New Jersey in 1982, which began in the final years of the Spectrum which was transferred briefly to Adirondack until the PPL Center in Allentown was built. and Reading is the Flyers ECHL Affiliate

EpicDing

Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
nope

since when does MSG own Maine, and if they did, where were they prior to 2018.....

YOU have your ownerships mixed up.

the Rangers have never owned nor operated a franchise they own in this state. EVER.

The Flyers created the arena after the Spectrum, 40 years ago, Epic.

Hartford was originally Providence that was blocked when the Flyers won the territory in 1977, It's why the Pack went and became the Dusters, before the Rangers were ever involved with it and relocated it from Binghamton to Hartford.

the reason Philadelphia owns the franchise here and isn't involved further is the existing contracts with Lehigh Valley, a franchise they created after selling the franchise here to New Jersey in 1982, which began in the final years of the Spectrum which was transferred briefly to Adirondack until the PPL Center in Allentown was built. and Reading is the Flyers ECHL Affiliate
Dude I'm not mixed up, I'm 100% aware the Rangers do not own the Mariners.

I'm saying that's irrelevant to Briere joining Drury's team.

Reactions: haveandare

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I was not around back then so I am not as emotionally attached to that cup (although I love this part of Rangers history).

So forgive me a little blasphemy: that trade deadline was a horrible, brain-dead gamble that just happened to work by the off-chance that year, but deprived us from even more Cups in the following years. Especially as there was no salary cap back then, so you did not have to worry about how you are going to fit that amount of talent under the cap in just a few years.
As is the case with most things, it’s somewhere in the middle. The Turcotte trade earlier in the season was the real key. The Gartner trade was just straight up vindictiveness. The Amonte trade, I mean, I just can’t bring myself to complain about Stephane Matteau and Brian Noonan.

The real crusher was trading Zubov a bit later.

Reactions: Kaapo Hollweg

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I can't get my head around the media not reporting what really happened. Not one reporter, or newspaper, or website, will go out on a limb and report the truth.

I understand it is unlikely anyone will get solid proof of what transpired, but to report over and over on some unknown sources that this had no connection to the letter, and that Dolan was actually the author of that letter is insane.

All decisions by this organization are made by JD and Gorts. Why would this letter be any different? Why all of a sudden would Dolan stick his nose in the operations of this club? It's beyond the pale. To think Dolan would be more protective of Panarin, than JD or Gorts is not realistic. Cause that was the gist of the letter. Protecting their star players from goons who are repeat offenders.

Which is more probable,... Dolan sends a letter that costs himself a quarter mil, or that he fires the people that costs him a quarter mil? I don't know why anyone in the media won't even suggest this,... even as a possibility. When we all know it is much more than that.

And it makes perfect sense Dolan, Slats and Drury would lie through their teeth. How could Dolan possibly admit he acted impetuously? Of course he had to make something up, however ridiculous it would seem. Like the under-achieving of team in rebuild mode, that by all accounts, is making great strides.

And don't you think after what happened with Tom Wilson, this offseason we would reach out and get some goons to protect our youngsters? So this softness question is another ridiculous excuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLW

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Possible candidates to join Drury's front office.

Daniel Briere. He has been running the Maine Mariners. The Rangers have an association with them. Briere was Drury's former teammate in Buffalo.

Steve Greeley. He worked for the Rangers in 2015-16 and 2016-17. Assistant director of player personnel. Greeley left the Rangers to become the Sabres AGM for three years. He was fired last May. Greeley is another BU guy. He scouted for the LA Kings.

Mike Futa. He has no association with Drury. Futa worked for the Kings in various roles under Dean Lombardi when they became a championship team. Futa has a good reputation. Rob Blake promoted him to AGM. The Kings didn't renew his contract last spring. Futa did some work for Sportsnet. His name was mentioned for a possible position with the Canucks earlier this season.

The Kings had all of those young players and they turned them into Richards and Carter. The Kings won two Cups in three years. The Rangers are looking to make similar moves. The Rangers were making these moves eventually even if Gorton was still the GM.

Anyone else?
Good list. IMO, Greeley & Briere are strong candidates.

I wonder if Brad Richards may figure in here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad