Confirmed with Link: Drury President and GM

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Possible candidates to join Drury's front office.

Daniel Briere. He has been running the Maine Mariners. The Rangers have an association with them. Briere was Drury's former teammate in Buffalo.

Steve Greeley. He worked for the Rangers in 2015-16 and 2016-17. Assistant director of player personnel. Greeley left the Rangers to become the Sabres AGM for three years. He was fired last May. Greeley is another BU guy. He scouted for the LA Kings.

Mike Futa. He has no association with Drury. Futa worked for the Kings in various roles under Dean Lombardi when they became a championship team. Futa has a good reputation. Rob Blake promoted him to AGM. The Kings didn't renew his contract last spring. Futa did some work for Sportsnet. His name was mentioned for a possible position with the Canucks earlier this season.

The Kings had all of those young players and they turned them into Richards and Carter. The Kings won two Cups in three years. The Rangers are looking to make similar moves. The Rangers were making these moves eventually even if Gorton was still the GM.

Anyone else?

Sather collected a lot of experienced personnel for his front-office when things didn't go that stellar for him. I often bring up Toronto, its not because they are some kind of top example of who to model, but they have also done a lot of good work. Around the league, people will look at them and see a stark contrast to how Gorton operated surrounding himself by first time employees like Drury and Ortmayer.

Gorton never coached, Drury never coached, nobody in our organization besides Martin ever coached in the NHL. I wouldn't mind if Gorton hired someone with a solid coaching experience as a AGM.

Ultimately, the NHL is a really tough league. You cannot cheat in this league, if a flank is left uncovered, it will eventually be taken advantage of and damage will be done. There have been some talk about how fans always complain on coaches, and this is one reason for it. A fan will look at the outcome 9 out of 10 times and an experienced NHL coach will be painfully aware of how that 1 out of 10 time can derail an entire season, organization, career and so forth.

fm

Jul 28, 2016
Drury's a smart guy and under normal circumstances I'd be pumped having someone like him at the helm.

But anybody who remembers pre-2004, anybody who's paid an iota of attention to the Knicks over the past ~20 years knows.

Dolan's hand will be firmly up his ass.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Drury's a smart guy and under normal circumstances I'd be pumped having someone like him at the helm.

But anybody who remembers pre-2004, anybody who's paid an iota of attention to the Knicks over the past ~20 years knows.

Dolan's hand will be firmly up his ass.
The only thing that gives me pause about this is that he’s had other offers. Why would he stay here and take these roles as the culmination of his development into an executive knowing that he’d be a puppet for a moron owner?

Reactions: fm

fm

Jul 28, 2016
For the same reason that Quinn makes double what Brindamour makes.

For the same reason that JD was inked at $5 mil.

Dump truck of money.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The more I think about it, the more I like it. We need to evolve our approach for modern day hockey.

IMO it's been extremely evident we need skills coaches.
Analytics will play a much bigger role... not the ones that tell David Quinn we're good on faceoffs.
Sports Psychologist
Locker room makeup. GM should have the pulse of the team.
ANYTHING that money can buy to help the team/organization succeed. Why not do it or at least try it?

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
ujpqn0i6m0531.png

We need a good Drury meme to start off his tenure.
Chris-Drury.jpg

Only thing I can think of is pizza boy right now

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Ryan Mc. won the cup last year with Tampa. J.T Miller recording breaking season with an awful Nuck team. Well someone had to take responsibility when top drafted talents fail to achieve for us on our top lines so we sent our GM and the coach packing and that was about time if u ask me.

By the way wtf happen with Kakko 17 pts in 48 games a top #2 drafted talent! I am not surprised they need a new coaching staff. At least Wilds playing playoffs hockey.
I had retired my HF account, but I had to reactived it to say that I am very pleased with the news and Glen Sather baby project is just history now. At least we have a new GM with new directions next season, and I am excited again even without my favourite Rangers Zucc & Ryan Mc. ;)

I miss Rick Nash too, hopefully all is well with him and his retirement.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
For the same reason that Quinn makes double what Brindamour makes.

For the same reason that JD was inked at $5 mil.

Dump truck of money.
Drury has made an insane amount of money though. If I remember correctly, he owns a pretty good business aside from all his hockey earnings. I’m not sure whatever he’d get from PIT would make much of a difference. Also, working with autonomy and having success will probably lead to a lot more earnings if it’s all about money

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I don't think anyone is questioning Drury's work ethic or character. Rather I think is he, as a first-time GM, going to be able to reign in an owner how has his own agenda and be able to continue building this team for long-term consisted success, not a flat in the pan run.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I don't think anyone is questioning Drury's work ethic or character. Rather I think is he, as a first-time GM, going to be able to reign in an owner how has his own agenda and be able to continue building this team for long-term consisted success, not a flat in the pan run.
It’s sort of odd because I go back to the Francis/Ferguson days and other than Craig Patrick and brief parts of Smith’s and Sather’s tenure it has been mostly bad until Gorton.
Then during Jeff Gorton time I thought it was great (yeah, no one is perfect) but after he was relieved of his job I started looking back on his performance and reading comments made here on all his plus and minuses and now believe he did okay but not great but compared to his predecessors he was for the most part much better than them.
Looking forward to Chris Drury as President and G.M. I feel strongly positive. He has been a winner wherever he has been and the people that have and know him rave about his character.
I feel he will be the greatest Rangers G.M. to date and am looking forward to this organization present and future.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Jeff gorton was a terrific gm. Absolutely terrific. I'm hoping Drury does a great job but it's a total whitewashing and revisionist thinking that makes people think he wasn't great.

When you're a good GM, people tend to highlight your mistakes.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Gorton was good, when comparing to other GMs

But objectively, he was average/mediocre. Which says a lot more about other GMs in the league than it does Gorton, tbh
I imagine wherever Gorton lands, that organization will benefit from the experiences that he had here. He one day could become a great G.M.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
LeBrun: Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen on the trade deadline and Patrik Laine's future

LeBrun: Pat Verbeek's first trade deadline as Ducks GM will not be boring

LeBrun: Blues GM Doug Armstrong on what to expect at the trade deadline

Ken Holland Q&A: On the Oilers' trade deadline priorities, a potential Josh Archibald return and more

LeBrun: Flames GM Brad Treliving is on the hunt for secondary scoring ahead of the trade deadline

LeBrun: Don Waddell and the Hurricanes might be quiet at the trade deadline, but it's about 'winning the Cup' this year

LeBrun: Avalanche GM Joe Sakic will need to get creative to go all-in at the deadline

LeBrun: Is Stars GM Jim Nill going to be a buyer or seller at the trade deadline?

Above are just a handful of the many interviews (with direct quotes) GMs around the league have given the Athletic. Who knows how many more interviews have been conducted in the local media for each team.

Why wont Drury comment on the state of the team and trade deadline? Can the fans of this team who pay the second highest amount in ticket prices (Toronto) get their GM to give us a even a hint of a plan going into the postseason?

Unless I missed something he's been completely MIA since the start of the season. It's looking like he's taking the approach Slats took.

And don't give me this garbage that Dolan wants to keep a tight lid on everything. Gorton was as transparent as it gets for the Rangers, speaking to the media quite often.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
LeBrun: Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen on the trade deadline and Patrik Laine's future

Ken Holland Q&A: On the Oilers' trade deadline priorities, a potential Josh Archibald return and more

LeBrun: Flames GM Brad Treliving is on the hunt for secondary scoring ahead of the trade deadline

LeBrun: Don Waddell and the Hurricanes might be quiet at the trade deadline, but it's about 'winning the Cup' this year

LeBrun: Avalanche GM Joe Sakic will need to get creative to go all-in at the deadline

LeBrun: Is Stars GM Jim Nill going to be a buyer or seller at the trade deadline?

Above are just a handful of the many interviews (with direct quotes) GMs around the league have given the Athletic. Who knows how many more interviews have been conducted in the local media for each team.

Why wont Drury comment on the state of the team and trade deadline? Can the fans of this team who pay the second highest amount in ticket prices (Toronto) get their GM to give us a even a hint of a plan going into the postseason?

Unless I missed something he's been completely MIA since the start of the season. It's looking like he's taking the approach Slats took.

And don't give me this garbage that Dolan wants to keep a tight lid on everything. Gorton was as transparent as it gets for the Rangers, speaking to the media quite often.
Drury was asked for a comment:

but
iu

cwede

Sep 1, 2010

i am not disappointed, i don't feel they owe us that,
and c'mon, they never say anything meaningful anyway,
certainly not what they really think

Oilers GM had stated specifically that he wasn't considering a coaching change

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad