Confirmed with Link: Drury President and GM

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
Not disputing any of that, but he still spent 4 years dinging around unable to put together a roster, which necessitated the reset in 2004. Most people don't survive four years like that.

And in that same vein, the last of the Sather years left us depleted with a need for another reset and the accumulation of assets from which we are just now emerging.

Those things are part of the overall narrative, which includes the aspects you touched on above.

Some fans are now viewing Sather's first several years here with the same rose-tinted glasses with which Star Wars fans now view the Prequel Trilogy. "They're not as bad as we remember!" Yes they are...and yes he was! LOL!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Some fans are now viewing Sather's first several years here with the same rose-tinted glasses with which Star Wars fans now view the Prequel Trilogy. "They're not as bad as we remember!" Yes they are...and yes he was! LOL!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sather did some very good things here, but he also did some very bad things as well. He's connected with at least half the dark ages, and part of the need to re-stock and make up for lost time with picks and prospects is because we gambled with the mortgage money from 2013-2016.

Girardi, Staal, Drury, Redden, Richards that's all Sather too. The only reason we don't include Gomez or Naslund on there is because we somehow fleeced Montreal and Naslund retired and saved us the second year of his contract.

Reactions: Shadowtron

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Sather did some very good things here, but he also did some very bad things as well. He's connected with at least half the dark ages, and part of the need to re-stock and make up for lost time with picks and prospects is because we gambled with the mortgage money from 2013-2016.

Girardi, Staal, Drury, Redden, Richards that's all Sather too. The only reason we don't include Gomez or Naslund on there is because we somehow fleeced Montreal and Naslund retired and saved us the second year of his contract.

Muckler... Trottier...

ugh...

Reactions: Shadowtron

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

Girardi & Staal were our free agents that should have been traded instead of re-signed or should have been re-signed for 3 years

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Girardi & Staal were our free agents that should have been traded instead of re-signed or should have been re-signed for 3 years

I'm putting them in the context of big contracts. We had a lot of big contracts bite us in the ass under Sather --- both during his tenure and as it came to an end.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I'm putting them in the context of big contracts. We had a lot of big contracts bite us in the ass under Sather --- both during his tenure and as it came to an end.

all over the league probably 90% of big long term contracts bite them in the ass. That is why I rather play it safe and never give out contracts longer than 4 years.

Reactions: Off Sides

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
all over the league probably 90% of big long term contracts bite them in the ass. That is why I rather play it safe and never give out contracts longer than 4 years.

Well, considering people are complaining about buyouts, how Dolan's money has been spent, the cap, I think it's important to note that this isn't some magical new rabbit hole of death that Gorton discovered and cornered the market.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Good luck signing free agents like Panarin with that philosophy

I would be okay with them forgoing those contracts even if it means no Panarin, mostly because it would also mean no... a whole list of bad contracts. I really think we should keep in mind this is season 2 of the Panarin deal and really while he is very productive. it was far from a masterpiece (not blaming him for that obviously)

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I would be okay with them forgoing those contracts even if it means no Panarin, mostly because it would also mean no... a whole list of bad contracts. I really think we should keep in mind this is season 2 of the Panarin deal and really while he is very productive. it was far from a masterpiece (not blaming him for that obviously)

a team can handle one bad contract. I think most teams have at least one.

Maybe even two bad contracts can be mitigated depending on the rest of the team.

We had like 4 or 5 bad contracts. Thats when its a problem.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
a team can handle one bad contract. I think most teams have at least one.

Maybe even two bad contracts can be mitigated depending on the rest of the team.

We had like 4 or 5 bad contracts. Thats when its a problem.

Yet one long term contract leads to others. If they had just signed Panarin and made that their one contract that may have gone bad, okay, yet it did not, and never probably will work like that.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Yet one long term contract leads to others. If they had just signed Panarin and made that their one contract that may have gone bad, okay, yet it did not, and never probably will work like that.

star players want and deserve long term contracts. Its the good but not elite players where long term contracts become awful.

Right now i see us as having one bad contract. kreider, and one possible bad one Trouba.

the next series of contracts is going to make or break us. Buch,zib and shesty all have the potential to be awful contracts.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Can we admit for once that handing out contracts and balancing keeping talent and not locking in bad contracts and without being able to tell the future of players' production is one of the most difficult things in sports that every team struggles with? You'd think it was only the Rangers.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
star players want and deserve long term contracts. Its the good but not elite players where long term contracts become awful.

Right now i see us as having one bad contract. kreider, and one possible bad one Trouba.

the next series of contracts is going to make or break us. Buch,zib and shesty all have the potential to be awful contracts.

I think Kreider and Trouba are bound to become bad contracts. And really it is not on them.

No idea if any of the reasoning about changing up management has to do with it, yet they were building two separate teams.

One of youth who were going to take some years to enter their primes, and then another team of players who's decline (yet still be under contract for years) was going to happen right at the time those youth finally hit their primes. The timeline did not make any sense.

Not that I expect the youth timeline to get any better from them changing up management, yet it was not going to work the other way either.

Last edited:

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I need to get it off my chest and ask the question.

Is this going to ruin y'all weekends??

I've never been one to let the results of a hockey game affect my life. I look at it as entertainment. In the same way I'm not going to let a shitty movie ruin my week, I'm not going to let a shitty Rangers performance ruin my week.

That said, I'm gutted by the JD firing. Mostly it's an emotional response from him being a goalie when I started watching in my tweens, to him and Sam being play by play guys from my late teens to my late 30's. he's been a big part of my Rangers experience.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
I've never been one to let the results of a hockey game affect my life. I look at it as entertainment. In the same way I'm not going to let a shitty movie ruin my week, I'm not going to let a shitty Rangers performance ruin my week.

That said, I'm gutted by the JD firing. Mostly it's an emotional response from him being a goalie when I started watching in my tweens, to him and Sam being play by play guys from my late teens to my late 30's. he's been a big part of my Rangers experience.

Oh, it was just a Drury reference. When he was playing for us, he once quipped that the shit that was going down wasn't going to affect his weekend. Then, @Machinehead politely corrected that he actually said it wasn't going to affect his Christmas.

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
I have nothing against Chris Drury as a person (as a player, he stunk for NYR and underachieved.) But is it just me or does this guy have the personality of a rock? Makes me fall asleep when he talks.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
I have nothing against Chris Drury as a person (as a player, he stunk for NYR and underachieved.) But is it just me or does this guy have the personality of a rock? Makes me fall asleep when he talks.

He won the Little League World Series. He was born out of that experience. Molded by it. And became the hard-man that he is today.

But seriously, I think he's trying to use a little restraint during this tumultuous time and not be like "oh, hi!"

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
He won the Little League World Series. He was born out of that experience. Molded by it. And became the hard-man that he is today.

But seriously, I think he's trying to use a little restraint during this tumultuous time and not be like "oh, hi!"
Yeah I understand that, I respect his accomplishments very much. It's just I have watched so many interviews with him over the years, and I've never absorbed a word he says because of his monotone voice and stock responses and answers lol And how he just stares into space.

Reactions: will1066

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

This made me laugh.

"Hi guys! I'm Chris for those of you that don't know me, and I'm SUPER DUPER EXCITED for the future!"

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
The one thing I still can't figure in any way is why Quinn survived the maelstrom. Dolan's comment that Drury has a 'unique' take on Quinn adds to the confusion and makes me wonder if Drury sees Quinn as a part of the solution--ie. is the clock really ticking on Quinn?

Obviously, I've made my feelings known about the coach and wanted him gone yesterday, but regardless, what's to made of Quinn sticking around? Is it just a matter of Drury expecting Hartford to make a run and not wanting to pull Knobloch out of there for the playoff push? But then, they still gutted the roster yesterday. I just don't get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad